cvc17

First Name
MCDog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
had a breakdown on my 2017 EX FK7 that caused vehicle to be towed to nearest Honda dealer. per that dealer, 2 trouble codes found that indicated a ignition & fuel pressure problems. one of the MSD ignition coils is cracked ( other 3 are not but could fail ) > not even 3 years old & under 12,000 miles & MSD failed..
will have to replace all with OEM Hitachi ignition coils. very disappointed with MSD plug coil quality.
Sponsored

Jason Baker

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The MSD could have a crap record. They are a good 98% of the coil failures mentioned in the forums.
Good ole OEM work fine and do what is needed. I bought two extra as backups to keep in my bag in the back of the car.
Never had to use them yet!

OP
OP

cvc17

First Name
MCDog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The MSD could have a crap record. They are a good 98% of the coil failures mentioned in the forums.
Good ole OEM work fine and do what is needed. I bought two extra as backups to keep in my bag in the back of the car.
Never had to use them yet!
yes. going back to OEM. wanted to give MSD a try > BIG mistake !!

CMarks

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Damn that sucks, but thanks for warning everybody not to get them!

OP
OP

cvc17

First Name
MCDog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Damn that sucks, but thanks for warning everybody not to get them!
yes. actually, looking back at original install ( Jan. 2021 ) , almost 1 year of use before failure. dealer found no signs of oil or other contanimation but only wear & tear. new OEM brand spark plugs were fitted at same time & gaps were checked before install of the MSD coil pack. no warranty per MSD as coil plugs fitted to a vehicle NOT LISTED on official MSD fitment guide ( although they DO but MSD will not acknowledge this ), AND past 1 year warranty anyhow. NOT going back to MSD , staying with OEM.
Sponsored