Juic3

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
So I'm looking to fill up on E85 and apply the Hondata basemap without the flex fuel kit. This is not my "daily" and I put 1k miles on it a year so I'm just looking for a little more power for my spirited driving days.

How safe is it for our cars? What issues if any could I encounter? Is E85 the right blend? Anyone else running this set up?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Current engine mods:
PRL intercooler/charge pipes
PRL HVI
Invidia R400
Hondata Flashpro 93 basemap

Next engine mods:
Downpipe/Inlet
Sponsored

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Be aware, E85 you purchase at gas stations often is not 85%. It can vary greatly from week to week. Folks I know who run ethanol always test it at the pump before they fill up.

I believe most tuners say that 35-40% is the "sweet" spot for FK8s when it comes to ethanol. Just make sure your map is for the % you are running if you don't have a flex fuel kit.

Oh, and some of the folks in California report that the fuel filter disintegrates after prolonged ethanol use. Someone has a mod to replace the LPFP and filter with something that doesn't degrade.

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you enable flex fuel in a basemap, it will be looking at ect2 for an ethanol reading. That won't work unless you have a flex fuel sensor and flex fuel converter.

The less ideal way would be to get a custom tune for specific ethanol content and do the math.

I've ran e35 for 4 years now and the flex fuel kit is a no brainier. I've filled up at e85 pumps over 200 times easy and it's always exactly 70% ethanol all over the Midwest every day summer or winter no matter the station.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
One benefit of living in Iowa. Lots of corn available at the pumps.

bushfreakz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 SI, '17 FK8
Country flag
Also if i'm not mistaken ethanol is worse for your car if you just let it sit. I think it may start to rust your cylinders. Another point about the issue with the fuel filter dissolving slowly is that gunk will clog your injectors.. I totally support the flex fuel kit and filter/pump upgrades first as mentioned

OP
OP
Juic3

Juic3

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Thank you all for your input! A lot of good info. I’ll end up holding off on pumping any ethanol blends in my R and focus on finishing out my bolt ons

speedyserg

First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
Thank you all for your input! A lot of good info. I’ll end up holding off on pumping any ethanol blends in my R and focus on finishing out my bolt ons
Probably a good choice if it's a toy that sits - Ethanol needs to be fresh and circulated frequently as it absorbs moisture and attracts water into the system if it sits.

As others have stated it can also degrade the oem fuel filter assembly and break down the glue/paper media within - they are small particles but enough to clog these very tiny direct injection injectors and stick them wide open.

Happened to me last year and I replaced the 1430cc injector set, intank fuel pump (fresh sock) was spitting raw fuel out the tail pipe lol

Luckily no damage as I quickly got off the freeway and shut the car off - but lesson learned.

JSR now offers this low pressure upgrade to not only eliminate the restriction the oem fuel filter assembly/regulator poses but remove the risk of anything getting to the rail/injectors/hpfp from the tank. It's cheaper than other options on the market but isn't "cheap" I'll be adding it soon on my car with a retune and headgasket upgrade/ferrea valvetrain. Comes with -6 AN fuel line, 1000hp fuel regulator, trick stainless steel fuel filter you can service/clean yourself also a hellcat fuel pump 535lph that's good for 10% more fuel flow (huge upgrade) basically enough flow to support 720+whp on direct injection only which is the most you'll see so far lol.

https://www.jsrengines.com/product/jsr-fk8-14v-fuel-supply-return-system

Had this been available last year I would have gotten this over my dw300c setup but such is life - thankfully anyone considering Ethanol can now run this and eliminate alot of headaches and risks from the mix. Again - not a "cheap" mod but if your serious about making power on Ethanol- this is a no brainer now. Much cheaper than losing a motor, hpfp etc

Cheers

OP
OP
Juic3

Juic3

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Probably a good choice if it's a toy that sits - Ethanol needs to be fresh and circulated frequently as it absorbs moisture and attracts water into the system if it sits.

As others have stated it can also degrade the oem fuel filter assembly and break down the glue/paper media within - they are small particles but enough to clog these very tiny direct injection injectors and stick them wide open.

Happened to me last year and I replaced the 1430cc injector set, intank fuel pump (fresh sock) was spitting raw fuel out the tail pipe lol

Luckily no damage as I quickly got off the freeway and shut the car off - but lesson learned.

JSR now offers this low pressure upgrade to not only eliminate the restriction the oem fuel filter assembly/regulator poses but remove the risk of anything getting to the rail/injectors/hpfp from the tank. It's cheaper than other options on the market but isn't "cheap" I'll be adding it soon on my car with a retune and headgasket upgrade/ferrea valvetrain. Comes with -6 AN fuel line, 1000hp fuel regulator, trick stainless steel fuel filter you can service/clean yourself also a hellcat fuel pump 535lph that's good for 10% more fuel flow (huge upgrade) basically enough flow to support 720+whp on direct injection only which is the most you'll see so far lol.

Had this been available last year I would have gotten this over my dw300c setup but such is life - thankfully anyone considering Ethanol can now run this and eliminate alot of headaches and risks from the mix. Again - not a "cheap" mod but if your serious about making power on Ethanol- this is a no brainer now. Much cheaper than losing a motor, hpfp etc

Cheers
This is great info. Appreciate the insight. Def going to hold off for the time being

ToofHurts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
I'm in the group of people that feel a fuel filter is a must for anyone running ethanol. Others can disagree. That's fine.

I just wish companies can make a good mounting solution for popular filters (i.e. radium, ID). There are multiple companies making catch cans ... and fuel filter are wayyyyy more protective and useful.

Itsjsomething

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan 370z
Country flag

Cheers
Anyone tried this one as well? It's half the price.

Fk8td High Flow Fuel Feed assembly -