Status
Not open for further replies.

CVCTURBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6M
Country flag
Hey guys I'm new to the ethanol craze and recently my local Sheetz just got E15 and E85 pumps.

I have an essentially stock 2018 Civic Sport HB with the exception of a custom exhaust I built and Ktuner V1.2 on the Stage 2 map.

My questions are:

1. Can I run either of these ethanol blends SAFELY?

2. If I do, do I have to edit the map myself to compensate or will it automatically factor the parameters itself?

3. Pros and Cons of Ethanol??

Thanks in advance!!!!
Sponsored

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
You'd have to get a flex fuel conversion kit i'm pretty sure so your car can take E85 in the first place. Car won't be able to run on E85 without it.

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
You'd have to get a flex fuel conversion kit i'm pretty sure so your car can take E85 in the first place. Car won't be able to run on E85 without it.
Adding to his post, you most certainly cannot use straight E85 in your stock civic. Try it out and let us know how it goes :)

As for the fuel itself, it has both pros and cons. I am not fully sure of them.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
you can use straight e85 with no problem. you wouldn;t be able to make more power than if you were to use e40 since you be maxing the fuel system out

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
you can use straight e85 with no problem. you wouldn;t be able to make more power than if you were to use e40 since you be maxing the fuel system out
He cant run straight E85 without a flex fuel kit.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
you dont need flex fuel to run e85... it just makes things easier

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
You could possibly run E85 without it, but its not something I would do. IMO if your car is not set up for it, don't run it. Just my opinion though. SiriMoto's flex fuel kit runs for $479 and for that you pretty much got a permanent and reliable way to run it through the car.

OP
OP
CVCTURBO

CVCTURBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6M
Country flag
Well seeing that I've gotten yes I can, no I can't answers. I'll play it safe and not worry with it atm lol

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Well seeing that I've gotten yes I can, no I can't answers. I'll play it safe and not worry with it atm lol
Seriously .. All these conflicting answers. Thanks for the help guys lol

RobXsi

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nata
Country flag
The comments of this post im chalking up to confusing or bad advice.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There's a lot of mixed and confusing answers here. Let me help clear things up for you dude.

Can you run E85 Without A FlexFuel Kit?

Yes, but you shouldn't. Your ECU will have no way of monitoring the ethanol content and cannot adapt to it. You'll need to tune to E85 and you'll be pretty much stuck on E85 at all times. Not good if you drive to an area without it.​

What does the FlexFuel Kit Do?
The FF Kit allows your ECU to measure and monitor the ethanol content level of your fuel. Sometimes E85 won't actually measure out to 85% ethanol. With the FF Kit, your system will be able to see what the actual content level is and will adjust the trims accordingly. If you go to an area without E85, you can run regular 91/93 Octane and be fine. The tune will adjust to it. If you want to run E85, this kit is pretty much a must have.
How do I configure my KTuner for E85?
You can go in an adjust the settings for E85 within KTuner. However, if you're not familiar with tuning, you can go and have the system tuned specifically for your fuel choice. If you had an Si, I'd tell you to get the @Two Step Performance Stage 2 Tune.

Can I run full E85?

Yes, you can. However, the civic stops making additional power at around a 40% ethanol content level. Most people here run E30 (30% ethanol) or E40 (40% ethanol) blends. I personally run an E40 blend.
How do I get these E30/E40 blends?
These blends are achieved by mixing 91 Octane Pump gas with E85. Normal 91 Octane contains roughly 11% ethanol. So we tend to use a calculator app to determine how much of each fuel is needed to achieve the proper blend. It's a little extra work when filling up, but it's pretty simple. You'll learn very quickly how much fuel percentage-wise is left in your tank based on the gas gauge.

Here's an example of the app data.

Honda Civic 10th gen E15 and E85 Ktuner questions Lj3qe7jl
Honda Civic 10th gen E15 and E85 Ktuner questions ljAuftpl

OP
OP
CVCTURBO

CVCTURBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6M
Country flag
There's a lot of mixed and confusing answers here. Let me help clear things up for you dude.

Can you run E85 Without A FlexFuel Kit?

Yes, but you shouldn't. Your ECU will have no way of monitoring the ethanol content and cannot adapt to it. You'll need to tune to E85 and you'll be pretty much stuck on E85 at all times. Not good if you drive to an area without it.​

What does the FlexFuel Kit Do?
The FF Kit allows your ECU to measure and monitor the ethanol content level of your fuel. Sometimes E85 won't actually measure out to 85% ethanol. With the FF Kit, your system will be able to see what the actual content level is and will adjust the trims accordingly. If you go to an area without E85, you can run regular 91/93 Octane and be fine. The tune will adjust to it. If you want to run E85, this kit is pretty much a must have.
How do I configure my KTuner for E85?
You can go in an adjust the settings for E85 within KTuner. However, if you're not familiar with tuning, you can go and have the system tuned specifically for your fuel choice. If you had an Si, I'd tell you to get the @Two Step Performance Stage 2 Tune.

Can I run full E85?

Yes, you can. However, the civic stops making additional power at around a 40% ethanol content level. Most people here run E30 (30% ethanol) or E40 (40% ethanol) blends. I personally run an E40 blend.
How do I get these E30/E40 blends?
These blends are achieved by mixing 91 Octane Pump gas with E85. Normal 91 Octane contains roughly 11% ethanol. So we tend to use a calculator app to determine how much of each fuel is needed to achieve the proper blend. It's a little extra work when filling up, but it's pretty simple. You'll learn very quickly how much fuel percentage-wise is left in your tank based on the gas gauge.

Here's an example of the app data.

Lj3qe7jl.jpg
ljAuftpl.jpg

Thanks buddy for clarifying this with detail!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.