Dyno Day! 2020 Civic Si: Baseline 100% Stock vs Phearable Stage 1.5

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Alright, here are the results of the Phearable tune.

1) I drove the car home (about twenty miles) on Maps 1 and 2 and did a few mild pulls. I drove the car back on Map 3 and did a few moderate pulls on the highway. Even with a couple of pulls on the highway on Map 3 I could tell the car was beyond heatsoaked.

2) Temps in the dyno room were in the high 90s. The car sat outside in the parking lot for maybe 20 minutes prior to putting it on the dyno. Once on, they had a large fan blow on it for maybe 3-4 minutes. I asked for 30+ mintues of that but it was towards closing time so they kinda ignored my request.

3) The first run after doing the pedal dance was in Map 3. Something happened to where the car cut timing or pulled boost enough where that pull was really meaningless. It was like 175whp. The car only cooled for another 5 minutes before the second run was done in Map 2.

Map 2 Pull - Mustang Dyno: 203hp/236tq. Dynojet corrected estimate: 232.94 hp

Again, I think the stock intercooler was cooked and there was certainly some pulling of timing and boost, although not as bad as the first run in Map3.

Map 1 Pull - Mustang Dyno: 201hp/211tq. Dynojet corrected estimate: 231.37 hp.

Horsepower is about on par with Map 2 pull but torque isn't as strong.

The final graph shows the stock tune with PRL Stage 1 Intake (short tube and panel filter). So, if just measuring uncorrected Mustang Dyno torque between stock tune with PRL tube intake to the Phearable Map 2 and 1 we have...

Stock TQ with PRL tube intake: 215 ft-lb
Phearable Map 1 TQ wtih PRL tube intake: 211 ft-lb
Phearable Map 2 TQ with PRL tube intake: 236 ft-lb

Obviously, these results aren't what I was expecting and the extreme heat really crushed my experiment. I can personally vouch that Map 1 and 2 are dramatically stronger feeling than stock and just as/if not smoother than stock was. Map 3 is fun but I doubt I'll use it much as it seems "too urgent" plus I'm not the type to run high boost all the time on my daily driver.

I was a bit unprepared as I didn't have the Ktuner plugged in measuring knock and all that so I'm sure that played a factor with the heat. I do run 93 octane Shell so the fuel was fine. Honestly, I doubt I'll dyno at this place again as for $250 - two separate sessions during the same day - I felt like they just wanted to do them as quick as possible and get me out of there; they didn't care if they care cooled down and did a couple of pulls almost back to back.

My PRL intercooler and charge pipe can't get here fast enough. I would recommend that is anyones very first mod - prior to any tuning - if you living in a warm climate. I'll try to repeat this experiment come October/November when the weather is cooler and I can form a relationship with a dyno shop that understands what I want to do and is willing to let the car cool down or cycle down knock count.

Sorry this didn't pan out as expected. 10% my doings/60% the brutal Georgia heat/30% the guys at the shop.
If you think about it 231 whp with Map 1 under unfavorable conditions is really good. Stock comes with 205 bhp and your car is basically stock with a canned tune and drop in filter. Sounds like the intercooler will help out a lot. I would do some data logging to monitor knock control.

Thank you for sharing!
Sponsored

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 6MT
Country flag
If you think about it 231 whp with Map 1 under unfavorable conditions is really good. Stock comes with 205 bhp and your car is basically stock with a canned tune and drop in filter. Sounds like the intercooler will help out a lot. I would do some data logging to monitor knock control.

Thank you for sharing!
Yeah, tune feels phenomenal. I’ll redo the Dyno experiment when it’s cooler, my intercooler comes in next month, and I find a shop I vibe with.

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag

Thank you for sharing!
That was map 2 he stated

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So I went out for a drive yesterday evening after sunset with the temps dropped to the low 80s. Even in Map 1, the car pulls really hard in second gear at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle all the way to redline. Despite the heat issues on the dyno, the tune in actual driving feels great and I'm totally happy I bought it.

DmK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI
Country flag
May 1 and 2 were similar in horsepower but Map 2 showed stronger torque.
i think after you run it in 3 map the car never recovered from heat soaked, that's why map 1 and 2 showing same HP :dunno:

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
i think after you run it in 3 map the car never recovered from heat soaked, that's why map 1 and 2 showing same HP :dunno:
Quite likely.

Chaucer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
This has been super helpful, thanks for doing this! Just to make sure I've got it straight;

Run 1: Bone stock. Mustang Dyno: 189hp/213tq. "Dynojet Corrected": 217.44hp
This is saying that a stock 2020 Si is making 189whp, and that if it were able to be measured at the crank it would be 217hp?

Map 1 Pull - Mustang Dyno: 201hp/211tq. Dynojet corrected estimate: 231.37 hp.
And this is saying that on Map 1 it made 201whp, and were it measured at the crank it would be 231hp?

Based on the chart itself, it looks like the additional hp is because the map 1 tune doesn't have as much of a torque drop off at redline when compared to the stock tune. Since HP is a function of torque, this would make sense.

FlexRex

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX and M5
Country flag
So is this noticeably better than tunes that come with Ktuner?

Last edited:

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This has been super helpful, thanks for doing this! Just to make sure I've got it straight;

This is saying that a stock 2020 Si is making 189whp, and that if it were able to be measured at the crank it would be 217hp?

And this is saying that on Map 1 it made 201whp, and were it measured at the crank it would be 231hp?

Based on the chart itself, it looks like the additional hp is because the map 1 tune doesn't have as much of a torque drop off at redline when compared to the stock tune. Since HP is a function of torque, this would make sense.
No, not exactly. The dyno I ran on is called a Mustang Dyno vs a Dynojet (more common usually). They Mustang Dyno is nicknamed "The "Heartbreaker" because it is alleged that it is more accurate and therefore less generous in numbers. I forget what the formula is but a Mustang Dyno is said to read 10-15% less than a Dynojet. 9 times out of 10, when someone in the import community quotes dyno numbers, it's usually from a Dynojet as they are more common.

The Mustang Dyno uses some formula to estimate what the wheel horsepower would equate to on a Dynojet. I don't imagine it's percent but it gives you a good idea of what it "should" have been on a Dynojet. Thus, the stock run on the Mustang Dyno of 189hp "should have been" 217hp on a Dynojet. By this purely anecdotal example would show the differences between the two dynes measuring formulas to be 13%.

Unless you quite literally remove the engine from the car and run it on an Engine Dyno, guessing the crank horsepower is a bit of a guessing game. Figure 10-15% drivetrain loss in a normal FWD car which would mean 217hp + 15% = 249. Whether the Si is really that underrated or not, is anyones guess.

Thinking back on this experiment, it really was pointless to dyno the tune in that extreme heat without an intercooler. The good news is my PRL intercooler/charge pipe will be here tomorrow and is being installed Tuesday. I think I'll dyno again in late September/early October when late morning temps are in the 60-70s to give a fair reading as opposed to be in the low to mid 90s before lunch as it is now here.

FlexRex

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX and M5
Country flag
Virtual dyno works extremely well, ask me how i know. Especially for delta testing.

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So is this noticeably better than tunes that come with Ktuner?
I can't comment as I ran 100% stock and then to Phearable and haven't tried other tunes. My impressions are it's great and the car feels like you always an Si to feel. It's not "fast" compared to true sports cars, but it makes it a lot more involving and fun to drive every day.

Chaucer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Ah okay gotcha. I'm more interested in the map 1 curve than the specific numbers anyway, I so I still think this is useful. And I live in AZ where it was 100* today, which is actually lower than normal. My life is heatsoak.

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ah okay gotcha. I'm more interested in the map 1 curve than the specific numbers anyway, I so I still think this is useful. And I live in AZ where it was 100* today, which is actually lower than normal. My life is heatsoak.
The car defaults to Map 1 every time you start it. I run Map 1 around 80-90% of the time and do Map 2 the remaining. I don't use Map 3. I'm sure it's fine but I just don't want that level of constant stress on this little motor and clutch.
Sponsored