1.5T Dyno Chart for Civic 1.5T 6-Speed (Non-Si, Non-Hatchback Sport) with Aftermarket Tuner?

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback 1.5T LX 6MT
Country flag
Hey guys, I've pretty much decided to get an aftermarket tuner for the wife's 2018 Civic Hatchback (1.5T/6MT).

I've been reading on the forum and have really appreciated the content y'all have posted, especially from the guys who post a lot of info, like GT Man. So, thanks for all the information, guys.

The wife's Hatchback is one of the less-common versions they made - It has the 1.5T, with 6MT, but it's NOT the Sport, so, the different exhaust means it has a few less HP/LB-FT. My understanding is that it's rated at 174 HP/166 LB-FT from the factory, whereas the Hatchback Sport has a bit more due to the Sport exhaust.

I think I heard that only 8% of 2018 Civics sold were this configuration. What's funny is that she chose this version because it didn't require premium fuel (funny that the Sport does, even with only a few more HP), and because it was cheaper, but now we run 93 octane in it all the time!

I was just wondering if anyone has taken their *Non-Si* and *Non-Sport Hatchback* 1.5T with 6-speed to the dyno and gotten baseline numbers with your car in stock configuration, then with the Ktuner or Hondata FlashPro installed, with +3 psi, +6 psi, and +9 psi, just to see concrete numbers that the different boost levels add, preferably without exhaust or intake or other bolt-ons.

From reading here on the forum, it seems like the ECU flash is the absolute best bang-for-buck mod, and, since there's not really a good option for an aftermarket exhaust for our car, plus the fact that we use the car for out-of-town trips and don't want any droning in the cabin, I'm leaning towards skipping any exhaust modification at all.

I also understand that a cold-air intake doesn't provide much in the way of more power; just a better intake growl, which is nice, but I feel that the stock, paper filter probably provides better dirt filtration than an oiled cotton K&N-style filter, anyway, and, I don't have to mess with cleaning and oiling.

So, bottom line, wondering if anybody's got dyno charts you could post from a test of a standard, non-Si, non-Sport 1.5T (the one with 174 HP stock) with 6-speed, and what kinds of gains you saw with your Ktuner or Hondata Flashpro.

Thanks!

John in Nashville
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: Myx

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
My car is CVT and it is rated at 174 HP.

I know it's a CVT but hopefully this can be use as reference.

This is dyno sheet for stock vs. +6 PSI Hondata Off The Shelf calibration:

Horsepower (in BHP):

Honda Civic 10th gen Dyno Chart for Civic 1.5T 6-Speed (Non-Si, Non-Hatchback Sport) with Aftermarket Tuner? IMG_3110

Torque (in Nm - at the crank):

Honda Civic 10th gen Dyno Chart for Civic 1.5T 6-Speed (Non-Si, Non-Hatchback Sport) with Aftermarket Tuner? IMG_3111

I changed my downpipe from stock to catless DP (PRL) and did a bit of re-tune at different workshop on same brand dyno but obviously different dyno:

HP (in BHP):

Honda Civic 10th gen Dyno Chart for Civic 1.5T 6-Speed (Non-Si, Non-Hatchback Sport) with Aftermarket Tuner? IMG_4134

Torque (in Nm - at crank):

Honda Civic 10th gen Dyno Chart for Civic 1.5T 6-Speed (Non-Si, Non-Hatchback Sport) with Aftermarket Tuner? IMG_4133

• Love
OP
OP
18 HB LX 1.5T 6M
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wow, Arnoldo, those seem like some pretty significant gains!

Definitely impressive.

Thanks for posting.

I noticed that you said that these HP & torque figures were at the crank. What kind of dyno was this? Did it measure with rollers that are spun by the car's tires?

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I noticed that you said that these HP & torque figures were at the crank. What kind of dyno was this? Did it measure with rollers that are spun by the car's tires?
The dyno was Dastek dyno. It has roller but it measures about 30 hp higher vs Dyna Pack for Civic 1.5t with paddle shifter based on my observation. I am not 100% sure of it is on crank or wheels but looking at the difference alone I assume dastek dyno measures crank dyno or bhp.

My friend owns a workshop with both dynapack and dastek dyno & he allowed me to do comparison for free.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
A couple of points, John.

Yes, a tune is definitely the way to go. In my opinion, if you want to keep it simple (and cost effective) get a tune and leave everything else stock. The one upgrade that actually might just offer the next best performance upgrade isn't an intercooler or intake etc., it's better tires. That helps put all that extra power down besides the fact you will corner better.

Now let's talk about the 6 hp difference from the Sport to the non-Sport. It actually isn't the exhaust mostly. Hondata testing had shown that both stock tunes are identical. So what was Doug of Hondata's conclusion? The difference is mostly the higher octane gas used.

Another important point. Comparing dynos doesn't always tell you an accurate story. There are far too many environmental factors. Different brands read differently too. The only exact comparison might be two indentical cars on the exact same dyno run in the exact conditions. Dynos are a great resource in terms of say, custom tuning adjustments, but not so much trying to compare car power outputs A to B, if that makes sense.

Basically, here's some good bottom line numbers (keeping in mind dynos vary). In TSP's testing here are the results from both the KTuner 21 and TSP's Stage 1 non-Si tune:

KTuner Starter 21 - 203whp; 250tq
TSP Stage 1 - 219whp; 258tq

As you can see, a tune alone makes a huge difference. And amazingly, when driven with part throttle inputs, gas mileage stays close to stock.

KTuner vs. Hondata. I've used both and both are good. For me, KTuner wins. It wins for two reasons. Lower cost and tons of easy to use user tweaks. My favorite feature being on the fly map switching. Now for a lot of people otf switching doesn't matter. They use the highest power map continuously. Personally, I use otf all the time. For example, my everyday commuter tune is a conservative 17 or so psi for long term reliability. But when the mood hits, I press a few CC buttons and I'm in TSP's map 3, running around 24psi.

Tuning will transform your car from a peppy econobox to a car that will have you feeling like you have a small V6 under the hood.

Hope this info helps.

Mitch

Last edited:

OP
OP
18 HB LX 1.5T 6M
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
As always, great information, gtman. And thanks for your reply!

That is interesting that Doug of Hondata's opinion is that the Sport and non-Sport are putting out the same numbers, despite the different exhaust on the Sport. One would assume that the center-exit exhaust on the Sport would be freer-flowing. Maybe not, then, huh?

I will say that my wife's car feels, to my well-calibrated butt dyno, to have a bit more than the 174 HP/166 LB-FT it's rated at by Honda.

Thanks for those HP/Torque figures you posted. Would you happen to know approximately what these cars dyno at, stock?

I know the MotorTrend article said that the 2016 Civic Sedan (CVT) that they tested dyno'd @ 177 HP/190 LB-FT. So, their opinion is that Honda's quoted numbers are conservative. Quite conservative, in fact:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/hondata-reflash-unlocks-loads-of-power-from-honda-civic-1-5l-turbo/

I have yet to see a dyno chart where someone has tested a stock, non-Sport, non-Si, 1.5T/6MT.

OP
OP
18 HB LX 1.5T 6M
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Also - What boost levels are the Ktuner Starter 21 and TSP Stage 1 that achieved the numbers you quoted?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
John, I think you're a bit too hung up on dyno numbers. :cool:

There is no doubt that those factory numbers Honda put out are low. I think they didn't want to step on the Si's toes, so to speak.

Here's what TSP got when they dyno'd the factory tune:
187 whp; 200 tq (1.5T, manual)

Ktuner 21 targets 21 psi.
TSP 1 high power map targets 23-24 psi.

As far as exhausts on this car, power gains are minimal. It's a sound thing.

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Si, 19 Accord 2.0T, 23 Type R
Country flag
I had some great data to share but @gtman has taken care of it for us. :) Looks like all of the facts have already been laid out. :thumbsup: