Dusty behind clear instruments lens - How to remove? Anyone

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic
Today I cleaned my car super good, and noticed a lot of Dust behind the clear instruments cluster lens - Anyone one know how to remove the clear lens? Anyone. When the sun hits it, it is bad. Also a bit cloudy too.

PS I want to add, maybe somewhere I can find how to remove it. Harley Davidson makes an awesome plastic cleaner and scratch remove in a creme base. Also, you can get "End Dust" anti-static spray and then clean the inside. Works to repel dust...

Thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have the same problem, though my dust isnt that bad, maybe a few particles at most. If someone knows how to remove the lens I'd be interested as well to keep it clean.

OP
OP
Ben&Jen

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the same problem, though my dust isnt that bad, maybe a few particles at most. If someone knows how to remove the lens I'd be interested as well to keep it clean.
YUP...for some reason i see it most when the sun is bright.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
I would like to know how to remove the instrument cluster covering as well. Mine is extremely scratched up, it was delivered like that and I doubt the dealer will do anything about it....Its awful in direct sun light. A ton of micro scratches, looks like someone took sandpaper to it. =(

OP
OP
Ben&Jen

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would like to know how to remove the instrument cluster covering as well. Mine is extremely scratched up, it was delivered like that and I doubt the dealer will do anything about it....Its awful in direct sun light. A ton of micro scratches, looks like someone took sandpaper to it. =(
Mine too. Going to dealer this week or next for sure. I will ask when i am there.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
I was doing some research on these new plastics and looking our instrument cluster and the majority of the scratches are in the plastic, must be to help it bend on impact in an accident instead of cracking if the dash is forced to crumple? I do have some scratches from a careless wipe down on delivery, while not too bad kind of annoying so I will try Mothers Clear Plastic Polish and see how it works. It specifically says its meant to conceal fine scratches on clear plastics such as instrument clusters without being an abrasive. I am wicked OCD and imperfections annoy me haha but I do like to keep my car perfect

OP
OP
Ben&Jen

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was doing some research on these new plastics and looking our instrument cluster and the majority of the scratches are in the plastic, must be to help it bend on impact in an accident instead of cracking if the dash is forced to crumple? I do have some scratches from a careless wipe down on delivery, while not too bad kind of annoying so I will try Mothers Clear Plastic Polish and see how it works. It specifically says its meant to conceal fine scratches on clear plastics such as instrument clusters without being an abrasive. I am wicked OCD and imperfections annoy me haha but I do like to keep my car perfect
Me too! thanks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Me too! thanks
Anytime, let me know how the Mothers Clear Polish works out for you if you give it a try. I'll do the same. Had a friend also recommend Meguires Professional Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish. Its a 2 step process thats supposed to be non-abrasive.

TabsAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
Honda used really really soft plastic all over the car. My instrument cluster plastic and the stuff surrounding the shifter are super scratched up and I've never used anything besides good microfiber on them. Tried Meguiar's PlastX on the stuff by the shifter and it just made it worse. I probably need to try a small buffing pad on a drill or Dremel to actually get them out.

OP
OP
Ben&Jen

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda used really really soft plastic all over the car. My instrument cluster plastic and the stuff surrounding the shifter are super scratched up and I've never used anything besides good microfiber on them. Tried Meguiar's PlastX on the stuff by the shifter and it just made it worse. I probably need to try a small buffing pad on a drill or Dremel to actually get them out.
How did it make it worst, did it remove the letters? Yes, the area around the shifter is terrible.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
How did it make it worst, did it remove the letters? Yes, the area around the shifter is terrible.
I expected higher quality when I bought my honda. If I would have know the poor quality control and inexpensive materials I would have bought a Mazda instead for less. Unfortunately my complaints are not something you can determine in a test drive and the reviews of this car have ben misleading.

danlevy.ny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
I had a Mazda6 before this, and if you hate the Honda soft plastics, don't look at the interior of the 6 that I had. The area around the shifter is even larger and even softer plastic than the plastic on the Civic. Not only that, but the dash trim and other plastics (cluster as well) are just as soft.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Hey everyone. Update here. Went to the dealer Friday and they offered to replace the clear plastic but they straight up told me that the plastic Honda used for this car is just really inexpensive, soft plastic and if they replaced it the first time you clean it it'll get scratched up. Dealer said that they're using this new anti glare coating that's just really bad.

TabsAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
Just that it added even more microscratches - the lettering is underneath the plastic so I doubt those will come off.
Sponsored