Dumb question about storing summer wheels/tires...

HalfBreed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sport Sedan, 2.0 CVT
Country flag
Picked up a set of wheels and tires for the winter, so I can easily swap back and forth for the seasons. I'm probably overthinking this, but how do you guys store spare wheels/tires? Just stack them up on top of eachother laying on their sides? Will keeping them up right on the tread cause flat spots from just sitting for 5ish months without moving? I'm looking for a "set it and forget it" type approach. So I can put them in the corner of my garage and leave them til winter's over. And vice versa for my snow wheels/tires during the summer.
Sponsored

Derek.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport HB 6MT, 1996 Accord EX 4dr 5MT
Country flag
I usually store them on top of each other, with cardboard in between each. I also wash and ceramic coat them while they're off the car, so they're ready to rock in the spring.

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I agree with @JackOfAllBlades ... Wash'em (front and back ... since you have easy access to all the nooks and crannies), Stack'em (keeps them from trying to roll away on an uneven/unlevel floor) and cover'em (because ... you just washed them ... so why let dust and dirt get them all dirty).

The only thing I would add is that I'd apply 1 or 2 coats of tire dressing to them ... should help cut down on oxidation, and then add another application a few days before reinstalling them in the spring)

OP
OP
HalfBreed

HalfBreed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sport Sedan, 2.0 CVT
Country flag
I agree with @JackOfAllBlades ... Wash'em (front and back ... since you have easy access to all the nooks and crannies), Stack'em (keeps them from trying to roll away on an uneven/unlevel floor) and cover'em (because ... you just washed them ... so why let dust and dirt get them all dirty).

The only thing I would add is that I'd apply 1 or 2 coats of tire dressing to them ... should help cut down on oxidation, and then add another application a few days before reinstalling them in the spring)
I've been using Aerospace 303 Protectant as a makeshift tire shine (there's really no shine, but they look like new tires after application). I'll hit them with that after I clean them and before I cover them up.

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've been using Aerospace 303 Protectant as a makeshift tire shine (there's really no shine, but they look like new tires after application). I'll hit them with that after I clean them and before I cover them up.
I have some 303, that I've never used ...

Never thought about using it on my tires ...

just might have to give them a shot of 303

OP
OP
HalfBreed

HalfBreed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sport Sedan, 2.0 CVT
Country flag
I have some 303, that I've never used ...

Never thought about using it on my tires ...

just might have to give them a shot of 303
I bought it specifically to use as an interior protectant. But it's also good for exterior parts and for rubber. So I gave it a try once and it came out pretty good. It leaves my tires looking new and matte. Which I prefer over shiny, personally. It lasts about a week before you would need to reapply, in my experience. Weather and stuff would make that vary, I'm sure.

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport CVT
Country flag
I swap all the wheels in my family, ever season. I have 3 adult children, one of which is married, so that's 5 sets of wheels! o_O

I just wash them down, bag them and store them in my garage:

Honda Civic 10th gen Dumb question about storing summer wheels/tires... SeasonalStorage
Sponsored

Last edited: