DSP Flat

Royalz_2o9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Touring Sedan
Country flag
Really ?? What thread was that ???
I find this very hard to believe, in fact, without any backup to this idea, I would call TOTAL BS on that theory.

Yeah thats complete BS, i did research and our civics dont have ANC (Active Noise Canceling)
Sponsored

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Yeah thats complete BS, i did research and our civics dont have ANC (Active Noise Canceling)
Must be true, otherwise every time you tried to play RAP music, there would be total silence !!

Brisco

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Touring
Country flag
Mine won’t change. I can get to it but it won’t change.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Doesn’t work on cars with stock amps, just the ones on lower trims
Unfortunate, I can confirm this .. the DSP Flat option will not change or have any effect on Honda head units that have external amps. (ie 8 & 10 speaker systems)

The "hidden" software Change screen is there, but the software looks like it is only designed to talk to a Local DSP in the actual Head unit, and does not communicate with the DSP processor that is in the External AMP unit.
The External AMP is on the C-Bus, and under normal operation, there is nothing much (if anything) talking to the AMP over the C-Bus.
Audio is sent to the AMP over a Digital Link, and the control of the AMP is done by an additional Serial port communication.
I suspect that Honda have some tool that may be able to talk to the DSP unit over the C-BUS and possibly switch DSP profiles ( to DSP-FLAT,) for factory testing, but that is probably just a factory tool... my local Dealers give me blank looks when I try to talk to them about it,

"DSP what ??" or "We are not software engineers" or similar BS

DANANDME

First Name
DAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HONDA CIVIC 5 DOORS 1.5T MADE IN ENGLAND
Country flag
Unfortunate, I can confirm this .. the DSP Flat option will not change or have any effect on Honda head units that have external amps. (ie 8 & 10 speaker systems)

The "hidden" software Change screen is there, but the software looks like it is only designed to talk to a Local DSP in the actual Head unit, and does not communicate with the DSP processor that is in the External AMP unit.
The External AMP is on the C-Bus, and under normal operation, there is nothing much (if anything) talking to the AMP over the C-Bus.
Audio is sent to the AMP over a Digital Link, and the control of the AMP is done by an additional Serial port communication.
I suspect that Honda have some tool that may be able to talk to the DSP unit over the C-BUS and possibly switch DSP profiles ( to DSP-FLAT,) for factory testing, but that is probably just a factory tool... my local Dealers give me blank looks when I try to talk to them about it,

"DSP what ??" or "We are not software engineers" or similar BS
HI ,

I am A newbie to this forum and just bought a 2017 civic sport 1.5t hatchback (made in england) - i am not sure if its the same head unit as the USA.
I hope you can help me with this qustions :

1.the digital output from the stock unit -can it be used instead of level converter with out losing any functionality ? i am sure it will sound much better

2.is there an option of replacing the stock unit with an aftermarket one and not losing any functionality?

many thanks

DAN

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
HI ,

I am A newbie to this forum and just bought a 2017 civic sport 1.5t hatchback (made in england) - i am not sure if its the same head unit as the USA.
I hope you can help me with this qustions :

1.the digital output from the stock unit -can it be used instead of level converter with out losing any functionality ? i am sure it will sound much better

Level Converters ??? The Honda HU's digital output would appear to be non-standard, and designed to interface to the OEM AMP.,
No after-market unit can talk to the AMP, so BOTH will need to be replaced to do any update.

2.is there an option of replacing the stock unit with an aftermarket one and not losing any functionality?

NONE !!! despite what all the adds on EBay "dont tell you"
If you want to keep all functionality, and get a better sound, one option might be to put in a Honda non-premium HU, and then feed it's output to your own DSP/AMps.
You can turn off the Honda DSP processing (DSP Flat), but only in the Non-premium Unit.

many thanks

DAN

DANANDME

First Name
DAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thank you for your quick response.
the facts are : i am not going to replace the HU to non premium and after what you told me - off course not to after market one.
so my goal is to replace the OEM amp with high quality amplifiers ,speakes etc.

after knowing this, it looks i have only 1 option - using a level converter such as this one: https://www.audiocontrol.com/car-audio/factory-system-upgrade/lcq-1/

1. the digital output of the HU is non usable ? and if it is usable to feed after market dsp processor - i should expect to loose some functionality ?

2.as i staying with the current HU - and dsp cant be set (permanently ) to flat - do you know if the EQ of the HU is actually constant with any volume level ? or it changes several times - depends on the volume level ?

many thanks

Dan

ck42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Sport MT
Country flag
Seeing in another forum that the non-Premium HU's don't output anything below 33Hz. If true, sucks for anyone wanting to use the stock HU, flatten it, and then use the signal for supplying to a sub-amp (which includes myself).

MrWaYne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X 1.5L CVT Sport Plus
Country flag
even the premium HU doesnt output barely anything under 38-39hz.
ive a sport-plus civicx (german) and it comes without subwoofer.

iam using an aftermarket subwoofer, tapped into the fronts.
well, it does sound quite good now. but that cut off @38hz sucks.

using viper4android and boosted anything up to 38hz - helps a little bit.

@ck42 can you link me your source / that forum thread? just out of curiosity.

ck42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Sport MT
Country flag
even the premium HU doesnt output barely anything under 38-39hz.
ive a sport-plus civicx (german) and it comes without subwoofer.

iam using an aftermarket subwoofer, tapped into the fronts.
well, it does sound quite good now. but that cut off @38hz sucks.

using viper4android and boosted anything up to 38hz - helps a little bit.

@ck42 can you link me your source / that forum thread? just out of curiosity.
Here you go.

DANANDME

First Name
DAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Seeing in another forum that the non-Premium HU's don't output anything below 33Hz. If true, sucks for anyone wanting to use the stock HU, flatten it, and then use the signal for supplying to a sub-amp (which includes myself).
Hi ,

I am happy that you have an experience with the premium HU - can you help with this questions ?

1. the digital output of the HU is non usable ? and if it is usable to feed after market dsp processor - i should expect to loose some functionality ?

2.as i staying with the current HU - and dsp cant be set (permanently ) to flat - do you know if the EQ of the HU is actually constant with any volume level ? or it changes several times - depends on the volume level

3.about the 38hz cut off- any body measure it electrically ? acoustical measurements will not help in this case.

many thanks

Dan

MrWaYne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
ok so i finally had some more time to play around with the viper settings and testing frequencies.
usually theres a bigger drop in bass below 39hz and without viper i dont hear anything ie. around 35hz (without my aftermarket sub+amp, everything "stock").

so i used the viper-bass setting and added +10db on 37hz and paired that with my sub+amp.
now i can even feel 29hz and clearly hear 31-37hz. thats actually fine considering how crappy the DSP is out-of-box.
iam using the front-speakers signal only and my civicx sport plus came without subwoofer (which is normal in the german version...).

my amp also has a bass-boost setting @40-50hz range. but thats barely needed. there are also other amps which have a boost setting for 30-40hz range.

theres definitely an audio signal at 29-35hz, but you need to boost it alot.

DANANDME

First Name
DAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
ok so i finally had some more time to play around with the viper settings and testing frequencies.
usually theres a bigger drop in bass below 39hz and without viper i dont hear anything ie. around 35hz (without my aftermarket sub+amp, everything "stock").

so i used the viper-bass setting and added +10db on 37hz and paired that with my sub+amp.
now i can even feel 29hz and clearly hear 31-37hz. thats actually fine considering how crappy the DSP is out-of-box.
iam using the front-speakers signal only and my civicx sport plus came without subwoofer (which is normal in the german version...).

my amp also has a bass-boost setting @40-50hz range. but thats barely needed. there are also other amps which have a boost setting for 30-40hz range.

Thank you very much for your response .

What is the model of the “viper “ ( brand and model ).

Can it “shows” you the original signal ( frequency) of the stock unit ?

If yes - does it change with accordingly with the spl ?

Thanks

MrWaYne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thank you very much for your response .

What is the model of the “viper “ ( brand and model ).

Can it “shows” you the original signal ( frequency) of the stock unit ?

If yes - does it change with accordingly with the spl ?

Thanks
"viper" is just the equalizer app that i installed on the headunit of my civic:
http://vipersaudio.com/blog/?page_id=48
ViPER4Android FX / FX version v2.5.0.5
http://www.mediafire.com/file/xonl4jha2e4vez1/ViPER4Android_FX_v2505.zip/file

it doesnt show you the signal.
i only tested the frequency with some frequency test apps (sending 20-80hz tone via bluetooth to my headunit).
Sponsored