Drove A Sport Hatchback Today..Polished Metal

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Yep, I totally get that ... I remember test driving the car you have... mucho fun. In fact today I drove the 2.0 escape for a couple hr trying to keep it at 60 mph to conserve fuel ... and then got into my ol manual and thought to myself I'd rather row the gears to work, drive 70 mph and still save enough $$ on fuel to pay for a trip to Vegas. lol, now I'm even more pissed at Honda for not providing XM in the Canadian Sport. I guess I'll just have to try the Vais technology. https://www.vaistech.com/about-us/
Can't you get XM on your smartphone and use it in the car that way? Maybe that uses a lot of data, dunno.

91 Integra, wow. I had a '94 Civic EX w/ a crazy redline (8000?), the good ole days!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Carrera

Carrera

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Share a 2015 Rav4
Country flag
Im a salesman for Honda and seeing all these posts about salesmen not knowing their product pains me. But then again, I am the go to guy for info at our dealership when it comes to specs and whatnot.
Could you tell me what Honda says.
Is it just for the extra 6hp?
Will it change the gas mileage?
Could it have an affect on the warranty
down the road if Premium is never used?

Jay.DeVries

Yee Yee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Could you tell me what Honda says.
Is it just for the extra 6hp?
Will it change the gas mileage?
Could it have an affect on the warranty
down the road if Premium is never used?
From what we were told at the conference when I asked, is that the 6hp is only with premium fuel, but the car is not required to run on premium. That is just for peak hp and gas mileage. MPG will be affected slightly from lower grade fuels. There would never be any warranty issues unless you used something such as e30 blend or e85.

OP
OP
Carrera

Carrera

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Share a 2015 Rav4
Country flag
From what we were told at the conference when I asked, is that the 6hp is only with premium fuel, but the car is not required to run on premium. That is just for peak hp and gas mileage. MPG will be affected slightly from lower grade fuels. There would never be any warranty issues unless you used something such as e30 blend or e85.
Most have figured that is was for the extra 6hp,
but I didn't realize non premium would hurt the mpg's.
Thanks!

Jay.DeVries

Yee Yee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks!
ethanol blends hurt mpg the most. That's why not everyone has switched to e85, you can get it way cheaper, but you lose mpg. So it's a wash. With the civic, I own one as well, and there is a mpg difference between the cheap fuel and premium. So I spend the extra money at the pump, but get better mpg in the process.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks!
we don't know that at all, I'd be very surprised if it affected mpg.

Jay.DeVries

Yee Yee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
we don't know that at all, I'd be very surprised if it affected mpg.
Fuel type does affect mpg. Honda tuned the engine for premium, compression, timing, everything. If you run a lower grade fuel, having lower octane, the fuel will have a less controlled burn, therefore the engine will pull timing to prevent engine knock and you will lose not only power, but efficiency.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Fuel type does affect mpg. Honda tuned the engine for premium, compression, timing, everything. If you run a lower grade fuel, having lower octane, the fuel will have a less controlled burn, therefore the engine will pull timing to prevent engine knock and you will lose not only power, but efficiency.
Then why doesn't the Sport have better gas mileage since it uses premium? You can't have it both ways.

Premium either gains you power and MPG, or it doesn't.

Jay.DeVries

Yee Yee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Then why doesn't the Sport have better gas mileage since it uses premium? You can't have it both ways.

Premium either gains you power and MPG, or it doesn't.
That is a poor statement on your part. It is obvious why it gets worse mpg, because of wider tires and lo profile tires (more rolling resistance), worse aerodynamics, and more weight from the different exhaust, wheels, and body parts. The sport is actually tuned to be sporty, hence the name, whereas the other civics are aimed more towards mpg.
I'm not sure how much more I can break it down for you.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That is a poor statement on your part. It is obvious why it gets worse mpg, because of wider tires and lo profile tires (more rolling resistance), worse aerodynamics, and more weight from the different exhaust, wheels, and body parts. The sport is actually tuned to be sporty, hence the name, whereas the other civics are aimed more towards mpg.
I'm not sure how much more I can break it down for you.
Those are all pretty minor effects on gas mileage, I see no effect on mpg switching from my summer to winter set. so if premium really affected gas mileage, you'd see some effect. I'm not buying it, the effect of regular on mpg is gonna be minimal.

Tsturbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 MDX Advance SH-AWD, 2018 TLX 2.4 w/8DCT
Country flag
Here's a thought. I've driven my 91 integra since 1992 (with a couple others mixed in thru the years including a TSX) and have a solid Honda mechanic that charges half the labour of a dealership. I really want to be loyal because I've only had great fortune reliability wise and I love rowing my own gears... BUT, I've entered the second half of my century and would like a few more daily driver amenities as well .. such as XM radio (in Canada you need to get the Touring for XM), more cubby storage including **%$@! sunglasses!, volume button, be able to control my hvac heat locations without having to go to a friggin menu, etc. Sorry, started to rant ... anyway I'm beginning to think I may have to forego a 6 spd for a few years until the final model year of this hatchback so I am seriously considering a refreshed 2017 Ford escape FWD SE with a 2 L ecoboost, paddle shifters, soft touch everywhere & sync connect which lets you remote start & control HVAC from your phone. Seriously, I've sat in every Acura model built in the last 25 years and this refreshed Escape is surprising at it's price point. If you have not taken one for a test drive. DO IT! the reliability issues have been the 1.5 L ecoboost and the Ford touch entertainment system but that is now changed and much much better & I may be willing to roll the dice. The interior is solid,... and it pains me to say it, but Honda should be embarrassed by what Ford has done with the Escape. Besides, gas is still cheaper for you folks in the USA.

---I'm just waiting to see & test drive the hatchback sport before I decide ... Ford's 0% interest financing & winter tire incentive is over at year end.
I had the top of the line MY 2014 Escape Titanium as my Company car, had it for a year until my Company switched exclusively to GMC, now have the Terrain. The Escape was pretty amazing and quick and I must say, Sync worked great! Much better than my 2011 MDX.

Jay.DeVries

Yee Yee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Those are all pretty minor effects on gas mileage, I see no effect on mpg switching from my summer to winter set. so if premium really affected gas mileage, you'd see some effect. I'm not buying it, the effect of regular on mpg is gonna be minimal.
Switching tires isn't going to make much of a difference if they are the same dimensions. And all those factors do have an effect on mpg, it is common knowledge, so you can look it up and then talk about how they are all wrong instead. None of these factors by themselves will make a HUGE difference. But there will be a difference. I've put over 12k on my current 16 civic, and mpg is affected by fuel type. I actually pay attention to things like that. You have had your car a very short amount of time, your gas mileage is not accurate until you get more miles on the car, because mine changed a lot from having 1k on the car, to having 10k on the car.

Tsturbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 MDX Advance SH-AWD, 2018 TLX 2.4 w/8DCT
Country flag
Jay.DeVries - has Honda Corporate provided the sales consultants with any information on what differentiates Honda DI technology from its competitors and what Honda is doing differently to address carbon buildup? Additionally, based on your knowledge and experience with the current Accord and Civic CVT's, do you feel they are more or less reliable than the current 6 speed AT being used in other Honda vehicles like the Accord V6, in other words, will they go 250,000+ miles with scheduled maintenance?

Thanks!

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Switching tires isn't going to make much of a difference if they are the same dimensions. And all those factors do have an effect on mpg, it is common knowledge, so you can look it up and then talk about how they are all wrong instead. None of these factors by themselves will make a HUGE difference. But there will be a difference. I've put over 12k on my current 16 civic, and mpg is affected by fuel type. I actually pay attention to things like that. You have had your car a very short amount of time, your gas mileage is not accurate until you get more miles on the car, because mine changed a lot from having 1k on the car, to having 10k on the car.
We're talking about noticeable effects, not theoretical or miniscule effects on mileage - and you said the heavy 18s affect gas mileage, I'm saying it doesn't in my BMW, which has 140k miles, and I've never seen an effect of changing from summer to winter wheels/tires, despite 10 lb/wheel difference in weight. Sure, it could affect it by 0.5mpg, but an owner would never see that.

dephcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Civic Sedan LX-G, 2017 Civic Hatch Sport Sensing (pending)
Which one did you pick? I initially wanted White but after I saw this post i had to decide between the 2 and when i saw both colors in person...The Polished Metal wins hands down. nothing screams more bad ass than the hatch in that color. Now all i have to do is wait for the sport touring to become available :/
I decided on WOP, I always wanted an ITR in Championship White with Red badges so I'm going to make it happen with the hatch :p

I think the white with the black vents and the black sport skirt package is going to look great. It was a hard decision between that and PMM.
Sponsored