Drove a 9th Si back to back with a 10th EX-T

Roddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Hi Guys,

I watched the video posted by Hondata comparing the 10th Gen EX-T to a 9th Gen Si... I was a little skeptical... I'd like to see a run from a dead stop and from lower speeds, which no one has posted

So I decided to try each one for myself. The 9th Si is FUN, its engaging, I SO Enjoyed driving it. The 10th EX-T is plush, smooth, modern tech galore! It has linear power, which is expected with the turbo.... The only time the 10th felt faster was right around 70mph it just pushes hard it made me say "Oh WOW..thats quick right there"...and then it kind of tapered off....

IMO the 9th Si is the quicker, sportier car, WAY more engaging.... I didnt want to take it back... the 10th was "sleepy"...nice power... and I think from a 50mph roll it might be quicker than a stock 9th Si due to the infinite gearing of the CVT... but from a dig, lower speed roll and a run to mid triple digits... I'd say 9th Si....

Fun factor = 9th Si for sure

With no Si for 2016 and me needing a new car ASAP I will likely buy a used 9th Si
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't rule it out just yet...
It's definitely coming out as a 2017 and should hopefully be released in late fall this year.

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Just remember you will spend about 30 to 40% more money on gas on a 9th gen Civic SI. 31MPG vs 42MPG highway, and 22MPG vs 32MPG city. Of course prices are low right now so not as big of a deal.

Phosky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Civic DX
Country flag
I'd get a VW GTI instead of the 9th gen Si. I currently have a 9th gen Si as a daily driver, and it's quick enough up to legal speed limits, but it just doesn't feel like it pulls on the highway. The video of the 10th gen EX-T vs 9th gen Si really confirmed my initial feeling (ie. it wasn't just because I was used to my turbo 98 Civic hatch).

instroke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
370z Veloster turbo
Hey Roddy - when you did the comparison - did you have a manual 16 or auto?

OP
OP

Roddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
apples to apples... ie a 2012 si compared to a 2012 GTI pricewise the Si is thousands cheaper in my area.
Hey Roddy - when you did the comparison - did you have a manual 16 or auto?
There are only CVT automatics available right now with the 1.5T

bowler13joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Civic Si Sedan
Just remember you will spend about 30 to 40% more money on gas on a 9th gen Civic SI. 31MPG vs 42MPG highway, and 22MPG vs 32MPG city. Of course prices are low right now so not as big of a deal.
I don't necessarily agree with this. I drive a 2013 SI Sedan and I get about 26-28 in the city and 36+ on the highway. I also don't have a lead foot haha. It does take premium gas, though (91+).

jk147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
I mean it is just me and I own a Civic as well. But there are a lot more options in 2016 than the 9th gen Civic Si. Especially when we are venturing into the newish used market for a sporty compact.
Sponsored