Drove a 10th gen non-Si for the first time...

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
There's one area where the Touring and all non-Si's absolutely crush the Si...

We get a spare tire! :cool:
Sponsored

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There's one area where the Touring and all non-Si's absolutely crush the Si...

We get a spare tire! :cool:

Ouch!
Yer cuttin deep with that one

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Well…..in Canada we get a spare ;)
I don't understand that. I buy an EX and get a moonroof whether I want it or not. I get it that Honda's simplifying their packaging. But then why make the package different if you live on the north side of a river vs the south side of the river?

Keropi76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
I don't understand that. I buy an EX and get a moonroof whether I want it or not. I get it that Honda's simplifying their packaging. But then why make the package different if you live on the north side of a river vs the south side of the river?
I Don't understand it eithee, there are a lot of defferences between packages in Canada and US. The 2016 LX i had is not the same as the LX sold in the US, it's better equiped and it's the same with the SI here.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
A SI hatchback sounds like a good idea but it would sales away from the Type R
That's exactly right. And the Honda setup makes sense to me:

Standard Sedan/Coupe & Performance Sedan/Coupe (Si)

Standard Hatchback & Performance Hatchback (R)

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
I agree with you, they hit a homerun with this generation. I personnally have never liked the Civic. Test drove a 2015, got out of the parking lot and returned to the dealer cause I hated it so much. The year after test drove a 2016 Lx, bought it cause it was so much better than the previous one. Changed it last october for a 2018 SI and I love it.

For me it's the perfect compromise between comfort/usable space/performance (especially with the KTuner) it's great on gas even if I have a bit of fun with it.
I leased a 2016 LX because I needed a reliable car for commuting to my first job out of college. I was never particularly interested or enthusiastic about cars before that. I thought 99% of cars before the year 2015 were very bland and boring. I was also broke and couldn't afford new cars, so maybe that contributed to it.
My LX really got me excited about driving and learning how to take care of cars. The styling, low end torque, and fun handling got me excited about higher performance cars and led to me buying an Si and learning how to drive stick.
The civic is a generational car. Each generation speaks to a different crowd of enthusiasts. The 10th gen has really nailed it for me.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I loved my 2017 coupe touring, it was comfortable, stylish and fun to drive. Nowhere near as fun to drive as my Type R but still you could hustle it around corners and it would hold the line. The CVT I had no issues with.

Plus, it has all the bells and whistles which worked without incident most of the times. I can’t say I don’t miss some of that, as well as other features the coupe had on my Type R. However, the Type R is like 11/10 on the fun to drive scale, and about an 8/10 on the usability/practicality scale.

I enjoyed my time in the coupe and if my crazed desire to drive a manual and in particular the Type R wasn’t so strong I might have still been in it.

Off the record, the coupe has better body lines than the hatchback. I absolutely love how the coupe looks.

Swank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe Black
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I love my Si, I just wish it was more in the middle between the Touring and Type R, fortunately a tuner sounds to be able to help significantly bridge that gap.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Your telling me a tuned honda civic cvt is keeping up with performance cars? What's exactly are these performance cars u speak of?
How about a Type R! Is that performance enough? :popcorn:

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A tuned cvt is keeping up with a type r wtf?
It's said that the inertia from the CVT belts weeble-wobbling and vibrating up and down the cones enhances the final drive ratio^2. That's why even though the CVTs supposedly takes off slower from a stop and has a way slower topend, it secretly can get to the end of the 1/4 mile about the same time or slightly quicker than 300hp/300lb-ft torque Type Rs. :rofl: (/sarcasm)

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
As far as this whole which car is better thing, I think we can agree on one fact. Honda has hit a home run with this 10th gen. You want great fuel economy? You got it. Fantastic handling? There are models that have you covered. Basic transportation with some fun? Hello LX model. Kind of fancy features? Can you say Touring? The ultimate in FWD performance? Type R here I come.

The Si is a great car. But so is the Touring. They just offer different things for different potential owners.

The 10th Civic is the best car in it's class. That's a 100% fact.

Yep. :thumbsup: If you get a FSB, I recommend a one piece like the Ultra Racing or DC Sports bar. It really does tighten things up front.
Sorry for the noob question, how does a FSB change handling when compared to something like say lowering your car on springs?

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
A SI hatchback sounds like a good idea but it would sales away from the Type R
I feel like people are going for the Sport hatch instead of the Type R. I've talked to people that wanted an Si hatch but Honda doesn't make one so instead they got a Sport hatch 6MT because the Type R isn't reasonable for lots of people

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry for the noob question, how does a FSB change handling when compared to something like say lowering your car on springs?
Well first off, I'm not a lowering springs guy. Don't get me wrong, lowered, a car looks fantastic and it helps overall handling. But the negatives are a bit rougher ride and more challenges dealing with curbs and bad roads.

A good front strut bar does something more specific and something I felt my car needed. By stabilizing the front strut tower geometry, not only does the front end feel more solid overall, quick lane change moves are much more controlled. Steering feels a bit better too.

If you want me to list suspension mods in the order of what I'd do, it goes like this:

Better tires
Beefier rear sway bar
One piece front strut bar
Lowering springs
Sponsored

Last edited: