CW20038TypeR

First Name
Franklin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW type r 2018
Country flag
Ok yesterday I was installing an intake then I dropped the socket into the engine bay.

I heard it go all the way down so I tapped on the bottom cover and heard metal clanking or bouncing against the under panel. I’m assuming that’s my socket.

I took the car for a drive and now the sound is gone. My question is, can the socket fall out through the back towards the front pipe section if I drove hard enough ?

I’m hoping it fell out and back and not lodged somewhere vital.

Thanks if anyone is familiar with the underbody panels
Sponsored

zcEF

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Oh yeah its definitely gone. I've lost a couple this way as well. Not as bad as my 9th gen Si when I was tightening the strut bolts after installing some lowering springs. They were behind a rubber cover and hard to get at, underneath the windshield cowel, and just as I was tightening the last nut, I hit my hand and dropped the 14mm wrench. That thing slid back and forth along the firewall for years every time I turned a corner. You're good!

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think the socket likely is still there somewhere lodged in the plastic under panel. Should be able to retrieve it next time the car is raised and can pull some of the panels to find it.

Might get lucky and can get it through the oil pan access tray.

OP
OP

CW20038TypeR

First Name
Franklin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW type r 2018
Country flag
Hmmm I don’t have a jack otherwise I put it up and take off the panel.

I just want to know if it’s possible the socket rolled towards back of car and off the underbody panels vs being lodged

Not knowing kills lol

RS27

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6 spd / 2019 Civic Coupe Sport CVT / 05 E46 M3 6MT Slicktop
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Probably still lodged in the back of the under shield. Same happened to me I dropped the left front corner and reached in to grab it. It’s pretty sealed down there.

CanadianFK8

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
Oh man, I just did this 2 days ago while installing my intake. Luckily I was able to find it with a flashlight down in the lower rad support and grab it with a socket extension, it landed just perfectly. I was not looking forward to pulling the lower panels if I didn't have to. If I couldn't find it I would have lost major sleep. Lol I hate that. If you could see it/hear it on the lower panels your good. It will either fall out or you'll find it if you ever pull them / oil change.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I lost an 8mm socket once a few years back while installing a PRL intercooler on my old Si. When I went to return it back to stock in 2019 so I could trade it in, I popped the bumper off and found it somehow wedged directly under the intercooler itself. It was completely rusted through. :(

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
That title... oof lol

I thought your socket was IN THE ENGINE. You're fine, man. It's either lost on the road somewhere or stuck somewhere in the under tray area.

shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 STI, 15 CRV, 16 Civic RS Turbo, 18 Civic Type R
Country flag
I took off my battery hold down and the smaller J-bolt fell somewhere. I spent 15 minutes looking and fishing for it with a magnetic pick up tool. Finally, I figured it wasn't there. Next place to search was the fender. It would either slide forward or backward. I found it behind the fog light.

brownman

Driving a car in the land of the truck
First Name
eduardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 honda civic lx sedan
Country flag
oh man i understood INSIDE the engine! i was super flustered in what the process for extraction was going to look like.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
you will never see it again

late camaro

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Nova SS, 01 S2000, 15 Camaro SS/1LE, 18 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you have a strong enough magnet, you can place the magnet below the pan and socket, and drag it to a hole, or edge. You will hear it lose the magnet if you move it too fast.
Sponsored