Drop Pro’s & Cons

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
As a millenial whose about to sound like a boomer, leave it the hell alone imo. Its low enough.

I did the whole springs/dampers/swaybars/chassis braces on my mk7 GTI. Did it handle amazing? Absolutely.....in fact, I would say fairly close to the CTR I drove with the wheel/tire setup I had on the VW. But.....holy hell did it suck on the mostly shitty pothole ridden streets here in Boston. Despite my best efforts to avoid, if I God forbid hit a pothole, it felt like the front end of the car went full Hiroshima. This was on like 20% stiffness that the Koni shocks allowed for too, so almost full soft.

I know simple springs won't have the same affect on the R's ride quality, especially with the adaptive dampers and superior overall suspension, but man......the car is damn near perfect from Honda for everyday driving. The cons far outweigh the pros unless you're gonna rip everything out and do a proper setup for the track.

It's too dialed in of a stock car to mess around with the suspension, again imo.

OP
OP

civicsi1211

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic type R
Country flag
As a millenial whose about to sound like a boomer, leave it the hell alone imo. Its low enough.

I did the whole springs/dampers/swaybars/chassis braces on my mk7 GTI. Did it handle amazing? Absolutely.....in fact, I would say fairly close to the CTR I drove with the wheel/tire setup I had on the VW. But.....holy hell did it suck on the mostly shitty pothole ridden streets here in Boston. Despite my best efforts to avoid, if I God forbid hit a pothole, it felt like the front end of the car went full Hiroshima. This was on like 20% stiffness that the Koni shocks allowed for too, so almost full soft.

I know simple springs won't have the same affect on the R's ride quality, especially with the adaptive dampers and superior overall suspension, but man......the car is damn near perfect from Honda for everyday driving. The cons far outweigh the pros unless you're gonna rip everything out and do a proper setup for the track.

It's too dialed in of a stock car to mess around with the suspension, again imo.
I have a friend with a tein 1 inch drop.
I am literally going to drive his and then drive mine and just decide if I am okay with his suspension set up.

I totally see this point but I guess the next question would be, what kind of difference are we talking?

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
Mine was a minor drop on the GTI as well, maybe 1.25", just to fill in the wheel gap and pair with the upgraded dampers. I don't regret it given the starting and finishing point with that car handling wise......it was amazing but I gave up alot in terms of daily comfort just to get close to what the type R offers out of the box.

I would not mess with the R just because the starting point is already so good. You're only going to hurt what honda spent so much time engineering into the car just to go lower, unless you really go down the rabbit hole and start changing everything imo.

Not worth it to me anymore....but others that have them love it so who knows. Also the idea of taking the suspension apart for a spring swap on this new of a car is such a turn off for me now.

Warpspeed

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Evo8, EF Civic Si, and 2020 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
The bottom line is, the reasons why we do things to are cars is to:
1) Use it as part daily and part weekend track use
2) Personalize it.
Hate to say it but a lot of people think they know more about the car than the engineers that developed them. Your car is your car, do with it what you want. With me it's all about personalization. I just can't have a "stock" looking car. Like some already posted, lowering the car is for the stance. Then there are some that would like to keep the originality of the car for future resale value. ie( 1999/20 civic coupe sold for $50k) all original. Just do a tune and just leave the rest alone and have fun with it.

CanadaCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R (CW)
Country flag
I've had lowered cars in the past, FWIW I would never do it again. It gets rid of the wheel gap but plowing snow in the winter (if applicable), having to idle over every single bump and up/down every ramp just waiting to hear that "crunch" sound, worse resale value, and rubbing tires (depending on the parts) was just not worth it in my opinion. Daily driving comfort suffers as well as the overall usability is diminished. I would cringe every time I hit a dip in the road at high speed (you won't notice them all before it's too late). The rubbing you can avoid with careful part selection, but the rest is unavoidable. No matter how careful you are, you will eventually destroy the front lip. Short of specialized track use, it's unlikely you would notice any performance benefits.

Where I live, neighborhood roads don't get plowed (only main roads) so when the big icy ruts develop in the winter, hitting those with your bumper lip is like hitting concrete if the car can't clear them.

On such a special and factory optimized car like the CTR I wouldn't do it personally, but each to their own!

iLovePho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #2060
Country flag
I also live in the NYC area and I'm currently running Spoon springs. Yes, you will have to adjust your driving when lowered--- drive at an angle over high bumps and ramps---which can get annoying but it's the sacrifice I made to eliminate the wheel gap when running 18s. Handling wise, I didn't notice a difference vs. stock since the car handled amazing from the factory and remained so after lowering. If anything, I get a hint of torque steer when hard accelerating but that's mainly due to the wheels/tires setup, not the springs.