Drone free exhaust options (besides AWE)

OP
OP
Lagos

Lagos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
The most popular one one here is the HKS if you want drone-free. There were some users on this forum that felt that the AWE actually did drone.

I'm currently running the Borla. My center exhaust tip is coved up (no airway) so only the outer ones move exhaust gasses. I'm not sure how the exhaust smoke comes out if you keep the center exhaust tip open (though it makes it louder and beings inducing drone).
Which HKS ? They offer two different versions.
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Which HKS ? They offer two different versions.
Both are actually popular on here. The Spec L is a little quieter than the Legamax, but the Legamax can handle more power (I think the piping has a larger diameter as well). Both are kind of regarded to as being OEM+. I don't think either is really a true 3" though, but don't quote me on that.

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
What about the clamps that hold everything together. Any rust on those after 4 years?
Nope, clamps were good as new after 4 years. I did power wash the undercarriage weekly though.

Stainless steel quality and rust wouldn't concern me for the AWE. It's more sound, as their stuff varies across platforms in terms of how loud and drone. For my MK7, even their resonator-free track exhaust was pretty damn quiet and tame with zero drone. To the point where most of my friends didn't even notice I had an aftermarket exhaust until I went higher into the rev range. Probably not the same for this platform.

That's coming from me who has very sensitive ears and zero tolerance for drone. Do keep in mind that any exhaust will make the cabin a bit buzzy at certain RPM which could be annoying if your threshold is even lower than mine. It is a civic after all.

SeshMau5

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Hatchback 1.5L Turbo
Country flag
I have the Ark DT-S catback. No drone and great low tones thanks to the helmholtz resonator.
Honda Civic 10th gen Drone free exhaust options (besides AWE) 770F3AE1-7644-42D8-8110-8ECE14EE6419

OP
OP
Lagos

Lagos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
I have the Ark DT-S catback. No drone and great low tones thanks to the helmholtz resonator.
770F3AE1-7644-42D8-8110-8ECE14EE6419.jpeg
Sounds really good from the videos I found. Is it a lot louder over stock. I would think it would be since the muffler is pretty small.

haltamer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 (UK / RHD!)
Country flag
Have a look at the Remus if it's in your budget; I've been very pleased with mine.

It's as quiet as the OEM Exhaust with the valve closed, but absolutely raucous at 100% - Either way, Cruising at 70mph there's no increase in droning over OEM.

xXoVrKiLLXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R ABM
ArmyTrix (https://www.armytrix.com/product-exhaust-result?brand=19&model=177&motor=1268) makes a nice unit as well -
Drone depends on the person's sensitivity to vibration, so I highly recommend you test it out by sitting on other ppl's car with exhausts you're interested.
^^ This ^^ - completely agree - unfortunately youtube does no exhaust any justice. Find a FK8 Car club locally if you can and go hang out at a meet, this is your best bet to find a potential winner. Otherwise it can and most likely will be an expensive journey (it was in my case for sure). I can think of way better things I could have spent the cash on (wheels/Flex/WMI.....lol)that I lost selling a used exhaust...

OP
OP
Lagos

Lagos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
I've got the HKS Legamax Premium and I absolutely love it. No drone at all. Nice deep grumble.
I keep hearing this one come up as a recommendation from a few people. Does it come with the front pipe and if not is the diameter reduced where the mid pipe and front pipe meet like it is on the Greddy SP?

rallyered225

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R
Country flag
I keep hearing this one come up as a recommendation from a few people. Does it come with the front pipe and if not is the diameter reduced where the mid pipe and front pipe meet like it is on the Greddy SP?
Does not come with the front pipe. No reduction in diameter from what I could see.

xXoVrKiLLXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R ABM
Borla’s exhaust looks nice anyone running it Catless by chance?

jayevo23

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR
Country flag
I have maperformance exhaust and there's no drone
I was just about to mention MAperformance exhaust. I heard there’s no drone, but it does become loud when a DP is added. At least that’s what I saw on YouTube. It sounds good tho from the videos I’ve seen. I would honestly add a DP first, then start looking for an exhaust if you hadn’t done so already. Adding a DP to an stock exhaust system may give you the sound you want without spending a whole lot on an exhaust.
Sponsored