BigOz

First Name
Ozzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
Anybody with Alcantara steering wheel use driving gloves? If so, any recommendations? This will be for dd. Just want to protect the Alcantara. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

quitethechoi

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I need to get me some, even though I'll look like a douche nozzle wearing gloves stuck in traffic lol. The real thin kind of work gloves work really well and grips great. For now I just make sure my hands are clean before touching the wheel. If I go too long before cleaning it, the alcantara will lose that soft fiber like feel and just feel like nothing. It's hard to explain, but there's nothing like going for a drive with a freshly cleaned alcantara wheel

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
I have a 2019 CTR (no Alcantara wheel) and always use the gloves. I have a pair of deerskin ones(like this https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/~3EAAOSwnuJcTyGk/s-l1600.jpg), tan color, thin enough, keeps my hands dry and protects the surfaces. I can even use the touch screen with them.

Before I had a Bmw 4 series GC(M steering wheel, nomal leather) and despite taking ultra care it still started to get that unpleasant shine. So I started using gloves with the CTR from day one. I just hate leaving marks, secretions all over the car.

About what others think: nobody cares... you pay the bills your choice. This is not a soccer mom's / a dime a dozen consumption car. It's something special that deserves special care.

Draxaan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Don't have alcantara, but I wear Pratt and Hart leather driving gloves every day. You can get them on Amazon for $24-30 USD.

Beavis

First Name
Beavis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
Why not just have some small hand cleaning spray and a cloth to wipe your hands after in the center console? Between that and a weekly quick clean of the wheel, I don't see the alcantara not lasting a long time. If the time comes many years down the road and it gets real nasty, a factory replacement is like 200 bucks. Half hour later and boom, you have a brand new steering wheel to start all over again for many more years.

No way in hell am I going full Gosling from Drive or Statham from Transporter every day, wearing driving gloves while rolling in traffic like I'm going to a heist ? especially in the summer. Not a fan of covers either....what are you going to do, cover every piece of alcantara from the center rest, door trim, seats, etc just so you don't wear it out? What's the point of having nice materials in the car if I can't even touch them.

NomaR-06

First Name
Santiago
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
I use my bike gloves on longer drives. The suede from the gloves on alcantara steering wheel makes it super grippy....pretty nice. Main reason for wearing them on long drives is that my hands get sweaty after a bit of driving.

On quick drives/running errands I just sanitize my hands before driving.

JohnEBlaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 CW Type R
Country flag
As much as I love the look of the alcantara wheel this is the primary reason I didn't swap the leather wheel out. The material will get faster than the door panel area near the handle and I didn't want to deal with the up keep. It looks beautiful tho. :)

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Why not just have some small hand cleaning spray and a cloth to wipe your hands after in the center console? Between that and a weekly quick clean of the wheel, I don't see the alcantara not lasting a long time. If the time comes many years down the road and it gets real nasty, a factory replacement is like 200 bucks. Half hour later and boom, you have a brand new steering wheel to start all over again for many more years.

No way in hell am I going full Gosling from Drive or Statham from Transporter every day, wearing driving gloves while rolling in traffic like I'm going to a heist ? especially in the summer. Not a fan of covers either....what are you going to do, cover every piece of alcantara from the center rest, door trim, seats, etc just so you don't wear it out? What's the point of having nice materials in the car if I can't even touch them.
This. I'd never be caught dead in daily traffic wearing drivers gloves in any Civic...

gaara46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 4runner
Country flag
i bought some leather gloves with the tips cut off (can use cell phone with gloves still on) from a motorcycle store. i only use them on long drives.

Iilac

Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000, CTR, TUNDRA, MAXIMA, CX9
Country flag
LOL to all the peeps who decide on what they wear because of what people might think of them. News flash...you drive a Type R which is extremely polarizing and alot of people think it's ugly. Gloves won't make them think less of you cuz they already do on what you drive.

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
LOL to all the peeps who decide on what they wear because of what people might think of them. News flash...you drive a Type R which is extremely polarizing and alot of people think it's ugly. Gloves won't make them think less of you cuz they already do on what you drive.
It's not that I don't wear serious driving gloves while driving my Civic in normal traffic because I care how other people view me.....I don't wear them because I myself think it's goofy ? but to each their own.

gaara46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 4runner
Country flag
some friends (mostly chicks) tell me im “extra” for having driving gloves.. and i tell them: this whole car is extra so ur goddamn right lol ?

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
some friends (mostly chicks) tell me im “extra” for having driving gloves.. and i tell them: this whole car is extra so ur goddamn right lol ?
I must be getting old. I have no clue what this means.
Sponsored