Driving a new SI 160+ miles tomorrow - tips?

mmxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe
Country flag
I'm picking her up with less than 20 miles! But, I've heard that the first few hundred miles are very important and that there are 2 things to not do

1 - Don't push it over 4k RPM

2 - Don't stay at the same RPM for long (like more than a minute if you are being super careful).

Well I have a 3 hour drive tomorrow so it looks like I'll be doing the whole thing with cruise control off so that I can keep things constantly changing.

Is there anything else I should know?

(I already ordered new side markers)
Sponsored

DRuby

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si, 2013 CR-V
Country flag
Congrats!

Sounds about right on driving style.

"Break-in" routines have become less emphasized in recent years. My 2007 Pilot, it came with "moly" additive in the oil with instructions to run it for the recommended mileage. The 2013 CR-V had no mention nor did the Si of limits.

You might want to extend the "soft" driving to more than the 160 trip. A 1k range seems nice but again, no guidance that I've seen. Just peace of mind and getting used to the new platform.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The most important thing about the break in period is going to be the clutch. It sounds like you plan on avoiding wide open throttle, but if you do need to make a pass or something, make sure you shift into an appropriate gear before accelerating.

20ABM06MT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
Manual (p.442) states no sudden acceleration or wide open throttle for 600 mi.. and no hard breaking for 200 mi (obviously break hard if needed for safety)... in addition to these guidelines I kept it under 4K rpms for 600...

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I would also recommend checking the tire pressures before driving. When I picked up my Si with 2 miles on the odo, 2 of the 4 tiress had pressure in the mid 40s and 1 was in the 20s... The ? at the dealer didn't check em.

Otherwise, sounds like a good plan for break in. Stick to it for 600 miles.

I've heard different opinions for the 1st oil change, too. Some people say go by the Maintenance Minder, some say do it at 5k. Changed mine at around 6500 with the oil life being displayed as 30%.

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
You could stay off the interstate and take the side roads. Yes it will add time to you trip, but the small town to small town with speed limit changes is exactly what your car needs to break in correctly.

OP
OP
mmxx

mmxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe
Country flag
Thanks for all of the advice everyone! I'll keep you updated!

You could stay off the interstate and take the side roads. Yes it will add time to you trip, but the small town to small town with speed limit changes is exactly what your car needs to break in correctly.
That is sort of impossible passing through a mountain range and some desert unfortunately. However, I'm thinking I might just take some exits and slow down a bit just to let things get more variety. I can't leave early in the morning which means I can't spend forever getting home. Good side is that once it does get home, it will get a good bit of small town driving.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
You could easily get by with alternating 5th and 6th gear if necessary if you want to vary RPM depending on cruising speed.

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
You could easily get by with alternating 5th and 6th gear if necessary if you want to vary RPM depending on cruising speed.
Yes, but both clutch cycling and brake pad seating are important to the process
Sponsored