Drivers seat clicking

17RGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
Not sure if anyone else has developed a clicking issue on the seat bottom of their drivers seat, but I did. I noticed the clicking after I had a ton of warranty work done, so I’m assuming some large Marge sat in my car.

Anyways, I pulled the seat out and took it apart. I isolated the clicking to the actual metal cage skeleton. After pushing and pulling on the metal, I found a tack weld had partially come loose. I circled the plug weld in red that had partially popped in the picture below.

This was not weld failure, rather it was not enough weld applied. I should mention I’m out of warranty, which is why I just fixed this myself. Once I found the problem area, I brought the seat out to my garage and welded it with the same er70s6 wire used when it was manufactured.

I have an early build ‘17. Not sure who/if anyone else has this issue. I’m 6’5” 215lbs, and gingerly get in and out of the car, but I’m sure I put different pressures on the seat bottom than a shorter stockier person.

Honda Civic 10th gen Drivers seat clicking 57EB588F-F387-4999-8B3B-1ED1B1A2D1AE

Honda Civic 10th gen Drivers seat clicking 36736DEE-3E08-48DD-A0F0-84DFA14C6E1F

JDM Power

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R (FK8)
Country flag
After how many time since you bought the car came this issue ? Anyway, your upholstery seat is in a very good condition after three years of use. Thanks.

OP
OP
17RGuy

17RGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
After how many time since you bought the car came this issue ? Anyway, your upholstery seat is in a very good condition after three years of use. Thanks.
Bought the car as the first delivered to Fort Worth Honda June 2017. I’ve put 19k on the car since with a few track days.

ManfromRI

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CW Civic Type R
Country flag
All that farting must have weakened that weld somehow.

Guys we are all screwed!!!! ? ?

cervantes0004

First Name
Cervantes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R 2017 FK8
Country flag
Mine has that clicking as well, it's more noticeable on right corners. I'm the second owner of the car so I can't say what caused it in the first place.

OP
OP
17RGuy

17RGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
Mine has that clicking as well, it's more noticeable on right corners. I'm the second owner of the car so I can't say what caused it in the first place.
The seat is very easy to remove and take apart. Almost too easy. I’d be willing to bet you have the same problem. I noticed the clicking on hard right turns and weaving back and forth. Duplicated the sound by pushing hard on the spot and traced it down.

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Nice find and write up

UniiqueTwiisT

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R GT 2019
Country flag
I d
The seat is very easy to remove and take apart. Almost too easy. I’d be willing to bet you have the same problem. I noticed the clicking on hard right turns and weaving back and forth. Duplicated the sound by pushing hard on the spot and traced it down.
I don't suppose you have a link to a guide anywhere for removing a seat and taking it apart? I need to do this myself
Sponsored