Driver side mirror replacement necessary?

alpineshepherd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Hi everyone. I managed to scrape the edge of my driver mirror on my brick garage. The skull cap part popped off. The middle clip broke (I popped it back on before realizing the broken piece was still in the housing, but the cap is surprisisngly snug and secure after popping back into place.)

I was just going to put some silicone adhesive in the visible gap in the picture and call it a day. But I'm worried it won't seal it up 100% from moisture due to weather, touchless carwash, etc. I also noticed that on the damaged edge, the cap is not quite flush with the housing and there is a small gap, maybe a millimeter or two.

Do you think I should get the housing replaced? I'd need to do the whole thing as far as I can tell. My dealer quoted just under $700 out the door. I watched a video on someone doing it themselves on the Type R (I have 2017 Hatchback Sport.) I think I might be able to do it myself but the part seems to be sold out or discontinued at all the online part stores (part number is 76258-TGG-305.)

I'd rather not pay $700 but also worry about moisture getting in and damaging the electronics. Even if I seal it up with silicone the best I can, I feel it will leave some room for water to get in and/or look terrible. What do you guys think I should do? If it was half the cost I'd do it in a heartbeat. Just something I need to pony up or am I over exaggerating potential damage down the line? I live in the Midwest so our winters are pretty wet, and I do drive to work daily. Thanks for any advice!
Honda Civic 10th gen Driver side mirror replacement necessary? PXL_20200927_203623692~2
Sponsored

OP
OP

alpineshepherd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I've been looking further at parts and videos and realized I may be able to do this myself after all. I don't believe I need the entire assembly anymore. This video has a car with much worse damage:

He ends up replacing the mirror as well. But for my case, I should be able to just replace the housing (76255-TEM-M01) and the skull cap (76251-TBA-A11ZR) for about $60. I'm still a little nervous about getting it all back together properly, but that video and others about putting the mirror itself back onto the actuators make me think I can do it. I'll order these and give it a shot.

OP
OP

alpineshepherd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I ended up replacing this with the parts listed in my last post. Luckily other videos show how to line up the actuators, so knowing that process made this a lot easier than I expected. Here is a photo of how it turned out.
Honda Civic 10th gen Driver side mirror replacement necessary? PXL_20201003_195705048

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
The plastic parts of the mirror are not worth much. The unit motor is the only expensive thing really.

i have replaced the black part of the mirror and it was under $30. The mirror caps you could probably get used or just replace with carbon fiber.
Sponsored