Driver-side door handle -- weird sound

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Having nothing better to do this morning :), I noticed that the driver-side door makes this strange faint metallic clicking sound when pulled on slowly (with the door already opened, so that the opening itself doesn't interfere): https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7zi594MsaKeMG1Nb1kzZ0JIc0E

Sounds like a tight steel cable being pulled that slides sideways along a hard surface...

The passenger-side handle doesn't make that sound: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7zi594MsaKebjNVb3Y1RksydGc

Not really bothering me (yet), but was just curious if anyone else hears something similar on their cars?

TIA
Sponsored

H23civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
Having nothing better to do this morning :), I noticed that the driver-side door makes this strange faint metallic clicking sound when pulled on slowly (with the door already opened, so that the opening itself doesn't interfere): https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7zi594MsaKeMG1Nb1kzZ0JIc0E

Sounds like a tight steel cable being pulled that slides sideways along a hard surface...

The passenger-side handle doesn't make that sound: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7zi594MsaKebjNVb3Y1RksydGc

Not really bothering me (yet), but was just curious if anyone else hears something similar on their cars?

TIA
I noticed the same thing a few days ago. I figured maybe it just needed to be broken in. Haven't heard it in a few days tho. Or maybe I've just grown used to it. Like you said it hasn't really bothered me yet. Just kind a strange sound to hear when pulling the handle

slayerx02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 FG2 , 2020 FC3
Country flag

TIA
Are you talking about the door handle inside? If you are, that's fairly normal since most manual door release mechanisms now days uses steel cables instead of metal rods like they used to. they got some tension on them so when you pull on it, especially slowly like you are, there's a chance they will vibrate sort of like a string instrument, I get it sounds a bit cheap, but don't worry, theyre fine lol.

OP
OP
dmitri

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Are you talking about the door handle inside?
No actually I was talking about the outside handle; sorry for being unclear... But, same idea/explanation might still apply.
I was just wondering if others can hear it (meaning it's "normal"), or it's some sort of a manufacturing/assembly defect on mine that I should be thinking about...

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
Mine did the same thing but went away after a couple weeks.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Well, well, well... After a month and 1,500 miles of ownership, last night when leaving my parents' house after dinner, a "scrunchy spring" sound caused me to tilt my head like a dog. After a moment, I discovered that when I slowly pulled the driver's door handle after the door was already opened, I heard the exact sound that @dmitri recorded. I wasn't listening for the sound, but it captured my attention then I remembered this post. I do not remember hearing it until now - even in the quietness of my garage. I have no intentions of doing anything about it at this point as I consider it a characteristic instead of a problem, but it's one of those things that you can't un-hear. My ears will be listening for it from now on. It reminds me of the sound of a stretching/retracting spring on a screen door in an old house. :)

H23civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
Well, well, well... After a month and 1,500 miles of ownership, last night when leaving my parents' house after dinner, a "scrunchy spring" sound caused me to tilt my head like a dog. After a moment, I discovered that when I slowly pulled the driver's door handle after the door was already opened, I heard the exact sound that @dmitri recorded. I wasn't listening for the sound, but it captured my attention then I remembered this post. I do not remember hearing it until now - even in the quietness of my garage. I have no intentions of doing anything about it at this point as I consider it a characteristic instead of a problem, but it's one of those things that you can't un-hear. My ears will be listening for it from now on. It reminds me of the sound of a stretching/retracting spring on a screen door in an old house. :)
My door handle noise actually went away now. Been quiet every time I open it. Maybe they'll come out with a bulletin on it soon. Possibly a of lack of grease on the lock actuator cable or something similar. Hell that's 3 of us so far that have experienced it.

jpuhl777

First Name
Jp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe (WOP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I haven't heard this but was wondering if its an environmental thing?
my old civic - in rainy weather it would squeak and make noises but in dry weather it was quiet. super consistent with that though. I'll keep my ears open for this but nothing yet...

basilpesto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Touring 2D OWP
Country flag
I’ve recently noticed my door makes a noise whenever i rest my leg against the arm rest... I’m very picky about this sort of thing, i really hate rattling or just strange noises in general. Also considering I’m paying a good amount of coin for this top of the line car, it’s very disappointing to hear noises seven months into ownership. Going to address that at the dealer for my next oil change in a few hundred miles.

Here’s a link for a video i took on this -

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I’ve recently noticed my door makes a noise whenever i rest my leg against the arm rest... I’m very picky about this sort of thing, i really hate rattling or just strange noises in general. Also considering I’m paying a good amount of coin for this top of the line car, it’s very disappointing to hear noises seven months into ownership. Going to address that at the dealer for my next oil change in a few hundred miles.

Here’s a link for a video i took on this -
You're sitting the wrong way! :D

Noises like that bother me, too, but this is a Honda Civic which is a $20K economy car at heart. If you want thicker, stronger materials with more insulation, padding, and attention to detail, you'll need to look at something like a Lexus or Mercedes-Benz costing 3-4 times as much.

basilpesto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Touring 2D OWP
Country flag
You're sitting the wrong way! :D

Noises like that bother me, too, but this is a Honda Civic which is a $20K economy car at heart. If you want thicker, stronger materials with more insulation, padding, and attention to detail, you'll need to look at something like a Lexus or Mercedes-Benz costing 3-4 times as much.
You're sitting wrong! All jokes aside, I know it's an econobox but one would assume that the touring would have a better quality build, even if its slightly lol. I really don't want to remove my door panel to add more sound insulation but if its gotta come to that then :dunno:

Hopefully the dealer can help me out on this

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
Mine has just started making this sound :( For the people above has this issue gone away, did you take it to the dealership, or are you just dealing with it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
dmitri

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Mine has just started making this sound :( For the people above has this issue gone away, did you take it to the dealership, or are you just dealing with it?
I just completely stopped noticing it after a while... Haven't thought about it since this thread was started, until I saw your post. It's so minor that it's not worth it (to me) taking things apart/figuring out a fix.
Sponsored