Driver Information Interface - color theme

charlesrocket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.charlesrocketphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback EX
After purchasing 2017 Civic Hatchback EX, I couldn't wait to install OEM interior lights and change the colors from boring blue to power red. But, for some reason, the main unit refused to write color settings to the driver's dashboard. You can expect something like that from the system while driving. But even after turning the driver's dash off and resetting the whole system, I still couldn't set the matching red color for the driver information interface. The interior feels weird and uncomfortable with two displays adjusted to different color themes. I called In-Car Technology desk, and department representative wrote a note for developers. If they will see more complaints with the same issue, there's a chance we will be able to change the DII colors soon. Right now Honda is working hard to fix all the bugs in their iOS and Android APIs, a perfect time to push a small tweak in software permissions like that into the upcoming update.
Sponsored

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Nope. It's going to be blue, from now until you get rid of it.

It's red in other markets, and other variantsof the Civic (SI, R, etc.), but you won't get it on your hatch.

OP
OP
charlesrocket

charlesrocket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback EX
Nope. It's going to be blue, from now until you get rid of it.

It's red in other markets, and other variantsof the Civic (SI, R, etc.), but you won't get it on your hatch.
OS on all 2016, 2017 and 2018 Civics is the same, clustered by trim/hardware map. 2017 Hatchback Sport has red dash - you can reflash EX with Sport software, but this will void the warranty.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
OS on all 2016, 2017 and 2018 Civics is the same, clustered by trim/hardware map. 2017 Hatchback Sport has red dash - you can reflash EX with Sport software, but this will void the warranty.
The fuel and temp gauges are LED lit, and is considered hardware. Also "reflashing" is an easy word to throw around, but nobody has figured out either how to download or upload anything from the system apart from ECU tunes and navigation updates.

So, yeah, you're out of luck.

OP
OP
charlesrocket

charlesrocket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback EX
The fuel and temp gauges are LED lit, and is considered hardware. Also "reflashing" is an easy word to throw around, but nobody has figured out either how to download or upload anything from the system apart from ECU tunes and navigation updates.

So, yeah, you're out of luck.
o shit, LED lights, you right. well that means no native color change update.
they reflashing cars at the service center all the time, somebody even posted the service bulletin with QNX flashdrive. you can also save and load your system image in case somebody messed with your dash settings.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
This is flashing official Honda firmware. The packages are going to be digitally signed, and nobody has yet to break that.

We can't upload our own images, nor download them.

OP
OP
charlesrocket

charlesrocket

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback EX
Really? Link to flashing information? Just out of curiosity haha
this is not even 'reflashing' lol - QNX running separate container for CarPlay/Android Auto and another container for Froyo with Main dash system. QNX (DII) and system containers both accessible through any usb port.
This is flashing official Honda firmware. The packages are going to be digitally signed, and nobody has yet to break that.

We can't upload our own images, nor download them.
you can upload whatever you want. if you switch on original Honda skin, in System -> Clock/Wallpaper will be the option to upload your own images through USB. why would you bypass the signature installing 3rd party software from 2007 and voiding the warranty when you have CarPlay/Android Auto? main dash that we using to control the car - just the Android container. main system runs on QNX and operates separately (from DII?). everythings here http://www.qnx.com/content/qnx/en.html

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Either you have far more knowledge into this subject than I do, or you're grossly misinformed. Or we're both saying the same thing, I donno, it's hard to tell at this point.

While I don't want to sit here and argue, I think the point is that both the DII as well as the main infotainment is quite heavily locked down. Nobody has been able to bypass the parking/movement lock, install custom APKs, or do any sort of customization that Honda has not already allowed. Picking images from your USB to change wallpapers is not uploading or flashing.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
He's kind of all over the place, but this is interesting info. I'd never heard of QNX but am familiar with hypervisors in general. It sounds like QNX is the true controller of the headunit, and the Android UI we interact with is a guest OS container running inside it. CarPlay or Android Auto, when used, run in a separate parallel container. That would be why there's such a clear feel of switching from one environment to another when you switch between AA and the headunit UI. In other words, it's clear that AA and CarPlay aren't just apps running inside the headunit UI in the way that apps like the navigation system clearly are.

I'm guessing this also explains why the nav assistance displayed in the instrument panel stuff is almost identical whether you're using the factory nav system or Android Auto. QNX probably runs the instrument panel display and provides an API for interfacing with it, and both the factory nav and Android Auto just send commands to it using that API like "display a right turn arrow and text 'turn right in 300 ft'".

This means that getting Android root still won't allow total control over the headunit, because it's not in control of it. For instance, I bet it's QNX that throws up the backup cam video when you put the car into reverse, displaying it over top of the Android container that's running. If so, then rooting Android still won't open a path to being able to turn on the backup cam whenever you want since it doesn't control that.

Likewise, if the dash colors are possibly changeable (multi-color LED's exist, after all), it's probably set by QNX, not Android, so rooting Android wouldn't get it. Unless there's a QNX API that would let Android change the color, that is.

Last edited:

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Who'da thought Blackberry, of all companies, was responsible for my blue gauge cluster!

It's definitely a theory with its merits though - it does sound like it's the case here.

That said, rooting Android will still have its own benefits, that we can bypass certain things that are contained within the android subsystem.

MagicMatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Coupe 2002 Mercury Cougar V6
Country flag
Nobody has been able to bypass the parking/movement lock
Yes we have.

1) Press Brightness + Power + Menu to bring up the diagnostics menu
2) Press and hold Menu again to show hidden options
3) In the hidden menu options, choose Vehicle Model and then Vehicle mode
4) You will see 3 modes: KC, KA, KX. Choose KC, and let it reboot when prompted
5) Press Brightness + Power + Menu to bring up the diagnostics menu again
6) Select Special Function, then Other
7) You'll now see an item called Restrictions Operation that you can now disable.

Videone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 MX-5 GT PRHT, 2018 Mazda 6 Signature, 2016 Civic Touring Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes we have.

1) Press Brightness + Power + Menu to bring up the diagnostics menu
2) Press and hold Menu again to show hidden options
3) In the hidden menu options, choose Vehicle Model and then Vehicle mode
4) You will see 3 modes: KC, KA, KX. Choose KC, and let it reboot when prompted
5) Press Brightness + Power + Menu to bring up the diagnostics menu again
6) Select Special Function, then Other
7) You'll now see an item called Restrictions Operation that you can now disable.
Does changing the "restrictions operation" stay "off", or does it default back to "on" next time you start the car?

MagicMatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Coupe 2002 Mercury Cougar V6
Country flag
Yes it sticks to my knowledge. I'm 90% on that. I've switched it back and forth a few times, so I may be mistaken. One thing I did notice was the browser didn't work with the KC version. Not a deal breaker for me though, as I had never even used it previously.
Sponsored