First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
2019 Civic EX Hatch, original owner.
After 2.5 years with no problem, part of my driver display has gone blank 4 times in the last 2 weeks.
Normal:
Honda Civic 10th gen Driver Display Goes Blank Intermittently Image8143133093081914721

Blank:
Honda Civic 10th gen Driver Display Goes Blank Intermittently Image1283720957744613462

It stays blank until I turn off the car, then so far has returned when I restart
I have 6 months warranty left but before I go through the hassle I'm wondering if anyone has encountered this or has any idea of the cause.
Thanks!

OP
OP
BataviaJim

BataviaJim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Has no one else ever had this problem?

OP
OP
BataviaJim

BataviaJim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Honestly, as long as you're under warranty, I'd give it to the dealership and see if they can fix anything.
I guess I'll do that. However the problem only occurs occasionally, usually not for days, so it's likely it'll appear normal to the dealership. Having worked in IT for 25 years I know how difficult it is to diagnose a problem when it's not occurring. That's why I hoped someone here might have a tip to give me something to tell the dealership.

OhMyItsKev

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I guess I'll do that. However the problem only occurs occasionally, usually not for days, so it's likely it'll appear normal to the dealership. Having worked in IT for 25 years I know how difficult it is to diagnose a problem when it's not occurring. That's why I hoped someone here might have a tip to give me something to tell the dealership.
Oh if it's that intermittent idk... I remember they have to be able to reproduce the problem before they replace anything... or that's what I've been told.

I'm sure if you give them video proof or something... it'd work.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
If you take it to the dealer and they can't find anything, or don't want to look; ask them to contact Honda Tech line and discuss the issue with them - be sure to provide the snapshot of the issue as that's evidence of the issue and the "other icons" may provide a clue to Tech Line people.

Tony 19 Si

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
What happens if you press the "enter" or the "select" buttons on the left side of the steering wheel?
Honda Civic 10th gen Driver Display Goes Blank Intermittently Screenshot 2021-10-14 200147

OP
OP
BataviaJim

BataviaJim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
What happens if you press the "enter" or the "select" buttons on the left side of the steering wheel?
Screenshot 2021-10-14 200147.jpg
Good suggestion. I'm waiting for it to go blank again so I can try. It hasn't done it yet this week.

TriangleHeat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe (FC4, K20C2)
Country flag
It looks like it's gone into that menu selection mode that lets you choose between menu items in a carousel (Settings, Fuel Economy, etc), except there are no selections that's strange...

Does the rest of the UI work? The tach and the speedo?

OP
OP
BataviaJim

BataviaJim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
It looks like it's gone into that menu selection mode that lets you choose between menu items in a carousel (Settings, Fuel Economy, etc), except there are no selections that's strange...

Does the rest of the UI work? The tach and the speedo?
Yes, everything else is normal. Fortunately I've never lost the speedometer.

I don't think the Sirius info appears there like it usually does when I change channels.

briq4

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Literally just started having an issue sorta like this, my car is usually always connected to my phone via Bluetooth. Several times now I've noticed the XM radio display come up randomly, the audio doesn't switch over to that but I still see the station information. I also had this happen once...
Honda Civic 10th gen Driver Display Goes Blank Intermittently 1634424531884

OP
OP
BataviaJim

BataviaJim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Literally just started having an issue sorta like this, my car is usually always connected to my phone via Bluetooth. Several times now I've noticed the XM radio display come up randomly, the audio doesn't switch over to that but I still see the station information. I also had this happen once...
1634424531884.png
I see you have a 2017. What's normally displayed in the blank area?

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
In the spirit of trying to help...

Has anything been spilled on the steering wheel recently? Have there been any water leaks or leaking hoses in the engine area or dash area? Have you driven through a flood? Etc. You get the idea.

I don't know where the 'Honda Mothership' computer lives in our cars. But I always suspect moisture when there's gremlins present between the car and computer.

OP
OP
BataviaJim

BataviaJim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
In the spirit of trying to help...

Has anything been spilled on the steering wheel recently? Have there been any water leaks or leaking hoses in the engine area or dash area? Have you driven through a flood? Etc. You get the idea.

I don't know where the 'Honda Mothership' computer lives in our cars. But I always suspect moisture when there's gremlins present between the car and computer.
No, there hasn't been anything wet anywhere inside the car. I drove through a light rain for a half hour or so but didn't hit any puddles, nor any significant spray from other vehicles.
Sponsored