MediaMaster

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 2024 Ford Maverick
Country flag
I was just about to mount my all seasons (Michelin 255/35/19) and noticed something shiny which turned out to be a small screw. I pulled it out along with another smaller one. Tire is holding pressure it was at 31 lbs both before and after pulling the screw.

Question is: do I just drive on it or should I bring it in to a tire place to have them fill the hole with something or perhaps can I do that myself?
Honda Civic 10th gen Drive on it or repair? Tire.JPG
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Have a tire place patch it up.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Have a tire place patch it and put that tire on the rear.

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
Humm. Put a patch on the inside of the tire? Not a bad idea but if it's not leaking, I would mount and monitor the pressure.

Also, I doubt the typical tire shop will do anything with the spot near the shoulder.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Humm. Put a patch on the inside of the tire? Not a bad idea but if it's not leaking, I would mount and monitor the pressure.

Also, I doubt the typical tire shop will do anything with the spot near the shoulder.
Why not? Both punctures are in the tread. While it may not leak today, as you keep driving that hole will expand. I've always had my tires patched in this scenario. It's a cheap, safe and smart fix.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
If mfg says it's okay AND you're willing to go into that corner at 9/10ths - go for it, on the rear of course. Otherwise look at it as an investment in your vehicle, family(?), and your safety.

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
Why not? Both punctures are in the tread. While it may not leak today, as you keep driving that hole will expand. I've always had my tires patched in this scenario. It's a cheap, safe and smart fix.
All depends on the depth, angle of the screws, etc. I would try to figure out the depth first. If it’s not leaking, you are concerned about a catastrophic failure?

Tire shops will rarely fix anything that close to the shoulder.

OP
OP
MediaMaster

MediaMaster

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Quick update. I did a little more digging and it appears that the screw that was shown sitting on the tire went in at a slight angle so it may not have actually hit the understructure of the tire. I put a little liquid tape down into the holes and worked it in to hopefully keep anything else from easily getting into the hole.

Yes the tire is going to go onto the rear for this winter and I will monitor the tire every day for a week and then every week for a month.

Thanks to all for the quick responses.

VanCityCBPr

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, 2007 si coupe, 599 Hornet
Country flag
Not sure if the ctr is different from every other car out there, or if tracking it changes things but you want your best tires in the rear. Its a safety/stability thing. Fwd or otherwise. You get a flat in the rear, go to the trouble of moving the donut/spare/questionable tire to the front. Always. Please.

OP
OP
MediaMaster

MediaMaster

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not sure if the ctr is different from every other car out there, or if tracking it changes things but you want your best tires in the rear. Its a safety/stability thing. Fwd or otherwise. You get a flat in the rear, go to the trouble of moving the donut/spare/questionable tire to the front. Always. Please.
I'm sorry but that is backwards for this car. WAY more stress to the fronts on a CTR.

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Best read up on tire plug kits before you use one to do more than get you home. Plugging can cause or hide internal tire structure damage that can lead to catastrophic pressure loss or complete tire failure.

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Curious, why do you think this? You put extra stress on the differential and transmission by adding in the different tire to the equation in the case of the donut. For the problem tire situation, you still want your driven wheels at 100% because they are doing the lion's share of the work and need to be at their best to grip the road.
Sponsored