Drive by wire

polished1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
Country flag
Hey guys my friend was talkin shit about the SI saying it has "drive by wire". I have no idea what this tech is so I was unable to defend myself, felt bad man. Can someone please explain to me what this mystical tech does?
Sponsored

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
xxx-by-wire means that there's no physical connection between whatever you're manipulating, and whatever part of the car is controlled by that, and is instead controlled electronically.

Drive-by-wire means there's no physical throttle cable connecting the accelerator pedal to the throttle body valve in the intake manifold. In old cars, you step on the pedal, which pulls on the cable, which opens the valve letting more air in, more explosions, more speed. With DBW a computer tells the valve how much to open.

There are pros/cons for both, but neither system is really "bad". Also, it's fucking 2017. Also Si's have had DBW for like 10 years now.

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
Some people prefer more mechanical things than electronic. Both have their pros and cons.

Maybe new cars that are 2005+ are Drive By Wire unless they are super cheap econoboxes, and even many of those are too.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Most vehicles have had drive-by-wire throttles for over a decade now. The Prius is also brake-by-wire. The Infiniti Q50 had steer-by-wire four years ago.

One of the major advantages of drive-by-wire is the ability to remap the accelerator pedal vs. throttle opening which allows for precise tuning of the vehicle's response. It can make a powerful vehicle easy to drive in a parking lot or an underpowered vehicle feel more powerful than it really is. It also integrates the cruise control function into existing hardware without the need for a separate modulator. It allows for "economy" and "sport" modes by altering the response of the accelerator pedal. Safety, performance, drivability, emissions, weight savings, and cost savings are some of the advantages of drive-by-wire.