1lastnerve

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR - Black
Country flag
Meh....I find that when I commit to something like I did with my Type R, which was a great purchase, it gives me extra motivation to continue to kick ass. And it's not like I dont need a truck....

Made 2 g's today and a solid new business connection. I am a boss, outwork everyone I associate with and am the best at what I do. If I want a TRX I'm not worried about it. But thanks for the unsolicited advice.
*Short version - Pay yourself first!
Rich = Lots of money to spend
Wealthy = All the money you need to live your lifestyle without having to work for it
There are lots more rich people than wealthy people, and the difference is night & day

I made 2 g's yesterday as well (and good for you - seriously! :thumbsup:) , actually I made a little more than that, and I made that EVERY day last week. AND I've been going at that clip for about the last 15 years. My portfolio generates more than that, but obviously that goes up and down. I'm not saying that to brag, but I want to point out that when you have a wife, kids, mortgage, college, retirement to fund, you aren't nearly as rich as you think you are. I've lived a comfortable life, and driven nice cars (nothing extreme - the Type R is the least practical car I've ever owned but at 59 its my toy, and you're correct it is a great purchase for fun, and financially for extremely low depreciation)

My unsolicited advice whether to you or anyone else reading, is that building wealth is what you need to do NOW so that when you're my age the retirement issue will not be a pipe dream. A $1M retirement fund generates about$40-$50K safely a year in retirement income. If you're used to spending $100k-$150k - $200k or more per year then you'll need to have 2,3, or $4M in a portfolio to sustain that. I'm pretty comfortable with my lifestyle, and have no desire to live on less when I retire, I also am getting to the point that I don't have near the energy to expend on working. Trust me, you will come to that point later in life. You won't want to reduce your lifestyle either.
Go out and google some retirement calculators and see what kind of annual contributions it requires to meet that goal. It's way more than what your typical company matching 401K plan does.
Again, I don't mean to sound preachy, and I'm not anti fun, but life is chock full of sacrifices. In the long run, it's much cheaper and MUCH easier to make them when you're young, than when you're old. That's $.03 for the advice, but since it's unsolicited please have it for free. At some point sooner or later it will sink in. I'm absolutely positive it will. If you're a boss, and the best at what you do, then dammit pay YOURSELF first.
Sponsored

1lastnerve

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR - Black
Country flag
I'm back... food for thought. Suppose you were paying cash of $100K for the truck. Invested in the stock market for 5 years, would conservatively grow to $150K in value. At a 7% growth (conservative) that $100K would be worth $800+K in 30 years, at 10% it would be over $1.6M

Where would your $100K truck be in 5 years? Worth $35k - hopefully. What about those premium gas fill ups at 10mpg? ouch!
Here's the interview question - Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
"Um... I'm the dumbass who squandered most of $100K for a fast truck that I can't begin to extract its capabilities day to day." Or... "I'm 5 years closer to not needing your fucking job!"

I'm all for experiences! Life is great, experience everything you can! Don't tie yourself to a boat anchor and heave it off the deck!

OP
OP
JayDiem

JayDiem

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8, 2007 Ram 1500, 2000 CRV
Country flag
I'm back... food for thought. Suppose you were paying cash of $100K for the truck. Invested in the stock market for 5 years, would conservatively grow to $150K in value. At a 7% growth (conservative) that $100K would be worth $800+K in 30 years, at 10% it would be over $1.6M

Where would your $100K truck be in 5 years? Worth $35k - hopefully. What about those premium gas fill ups at 10mpg? ouch!
Here's the interview question - Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
"Um... I'm the dumbass who squandered most of $100K for a fast truck that I can't begin to extract its capabilities day to day." Or... "I'm 5 years closer to not needing your fucking job!"

I'm all for experiences! Life is great, experience everything you can! Don't tie yourself to a boat anchor and heave it off the deck!
This is constructive advice at least. I would point out a few more things though. The TRX is 80K. My truck I just bought was 45K out the door. It's not like I have 100K sitting around to just blow on a truck cash. A truck for me is literally a tool. It allows me to accomplish my job and is a mandatory expense. It's also tax deductible. It could make a great Billboard for Advertising my business, no? I could end up with a Tool that that was only made for 2 years and actually have a vehicle that appreciated along that time span similar to the Type R.

Another Idea is you can build a website and start slinging TRX parts and it would probably pay for iteself. I appreciate where you are coming from but you are just missing a few factors for someone in my position and its not the worst investment one could make IMO.

If all fails in my future, and my way of life is in serious question, I can sell here and move to a cheap state and life would be easy street.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
Bold of you to compare the reliability of your $22k econobox to the reliablity of $40-80k Chrysler/Fiat cars. At a certain pricepoint, reliability should be built in.

That said, other than a fuel pump recall on my Type R, I've had 13k hassle free miles in two plus years.
You are correct sir a lot of members here is not looking at the big picture here a higher price vehicle should have less problems than a lower price vehicle but in a lot of cases that not always true. Even look at Mercedes and BMW they have less reliability than a Toyota or Honda

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
You are correct sir a lot of members here is not looking at the big picture here a higher price vehicle should have less problems than a lower price vehicle but in a lot of cases that not always true. Even look at Mercedes and BMW they have less reliability than a Toyota or Honda
I agree that a Bentley or a Mercedes should be of higher quality than a Honda. But I don't see that kind of price spread between a Civic & a Dodge, when in fact there is some price overlap.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Here is my concern about the FCA/PSA merger. I sometimes read that PSA, and now Stellantis, is partially owned by the Chinese Communist Government.

Here’s just one source, you can Google for more.
https://moparinsiders.com/opinion-stellantis-a-bad-deal-for-chrysler-and-the-united-states/

Here’s a few copy/pasted excerpts from the link.
“While the shares accounted for 1.10% of PSA’s total, the Chinese-based DFG still owns a remaining 20.7 million shares of the company.”

“DFG, a publicly-traded company is 66% owned by the Chinese Communist Government and is a subsidiary of Dongfeng Motor Corporation, which manufactures military vehicles for the Chinese.”

“The (Jeep) Gladiator XMT is looking to be the next light tactical vehicle for the U.S. military and that being said who would want the possibility of the Chinese have any involvement or knowledge of that vehicle?”

Tankohilery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2012
Country flag
The TRX is such a fantastic vehicle, and I can understand why you're drawn to it. I'm genuinely curious about your progress in finding the best auto broker for your TRX quest. Have you had any luck with recommendations from the forum or elsewhere? While you're on this exciting journey, I wanted to share a little tip with you. I recently stumbled upon truckexporter.co.uk, a website where you can explore a wide range of used trucks. While it might not be specifically about the TRX, who knows, you might come across something interesting there or even find a lead to your dream truck.
Sponsored

Last edited: