Dream time: Would the Type R be faster with an automatic?

Deadly Nancy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 CR-Z, 2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
A manual sequential gearbox will always be faster than traditional automatic trans. As good as they make automatics, they will never be able to anticipate what inputs they are given. But imagine the cost of a good quality sequential gearbox. Probably worth more than the entire car.
Sponsored

ThorSellsCars

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR, 2019 Honda Civic EX 1.5T (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A manual sequential gearbox will always be faster than traditional automatic trans. As good as they make automatics, they will never be able to anticipate what inputs they are given. But imagine the cost of a good quality sequential gearbox. Probably worth more than the entire car.
12K is the current going price from quaife

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor / 2019 CTR
Country flag
A sequential would be way faster but not as fun.

From my experience, anything below 400 hp and it's just way more rewarding to row your own gears. Anything above 400 hp, you're probably better off with a PDK.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
A sequential would be way faster but not as fun.

From my experience, anything below 400 hp and it's just way more rewarding to row your own gears. Anything above 400 hp, you're probably better off with a PDK.
It really depends, honestly. If I want to get the fastest lap time and have easiest time while doing it a paddle-shifter would be ideal as it keeps both hands on the wheel at all times. However, if I don't really care about the lap time and just want to drive, a stick does that very well since it's more engaging; you're more focused on the drive.
Sponsored