Drastic dropoff in MPG in cold weather, rain

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Noticed this myself last winter. I average about 34-36 mpg mixed commuting to work during the warmer months.

I was getting 31-32ish last winter just based on cold weather, not inclement conditions.
Sponsored

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
best i seen my avg MPG is 29 so far but the reader shows 40+ at times but either way im happy with it since my last car only got 10 MPG tops
What did you drive, a school bus?

Civic416

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring
I've had the car since mid-November, driving 90% city in winter conditions (-10C to 5C) on light alloy snows. I'm averaging around 26-28 mpg, mostly carefully in eco-mode, which seems pretty good. I just wish the tank was 20% bigger, fueling up every 300 miles is a bit annoying. Can't wait to start opening it up to see if there's a big difference

To me the car feels super insulated and gets warm fairly quick.

Last edited:

chisav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
I love the articles and people that tell you not to idle it to warm it up for more than 30 seconds in the Winter. If I tried to drive to work in the morning in the Winter after the car being on for only 30 seconds I would not be able to see anything since the windows would still be all frosted up.

Never ceases to amaze me how they pretend that we all live in South Florida where temperatures below 50F are a rarity.
I usually only start my car before I clean it off in the winter, then I drive it. If nothing needs to be cleaned off it, then I start it up and go most of the time.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
So, I've been getting a fairly consistent 35 mpg in the cold Maryland weather for the past month or two. From May to October I was averaging about 40. And interestingly, I got 39 mpg when the weather was in the high 50's yesterday. It's clear this turbo looses quite a bit of mpg in the cold, more so than the normally aspirated cars I’ve owned before this one.

chisav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
It's clear this turbo looses quite a bit of mpg in the cold, more so than the normally aspirated cars I’ve owned before this one.
This is definitely true. All F/I cars will get worse MPG during winter months. I used to lose a few MPG in my Subaru once it started to get cold.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I love the articles and people that tell you not to idle it to warm it up for more than 30 seconds in the Winter. If I tried to drive to work in the morning in the Winter after the car being on for only 30 seconds I would not be able to see anything since the windows would still be all frosted up.

Never ceases to amaze me how they pretend that we all live in South Florida where temperatures below 50F are a rarity.
I just scrape the frost off. There is no need for me to warm it up.
Sponsored