Drain Plug with Neodymium Magnet

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Anyone using oil drain plug with magnet? is it a must buy?
Sponsored

zenren

First Name
Brenden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Err... No. Sure you can get one. Its a $15 part and probably a pretty common thread size. There are no unmachined ferrous parts in the engine that I know of, so a little magnet won't catch squat, You're dealing with an aluminum engine and if you catch any bearing steel she's toast as the steel is usually a backing layer and you will still have bits of copper/lead alloy and aluminum through the whole engine.

I would rather keep my nicely sealing factory drain plug or buy a fumoto quick drain.

OP
OP

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Err... No. Sure you can get one. Its a $15 part and probably a pretty common thread size. There are no unmachined ferrous parts in the engine that I know of, so a little magnet won't catch squat, You're dealing with an aluminum engine and if you catch any bearing steel she's toast as the steel is usually a backing layer and you will still have bits of copper/lead alloy and aluminum through the whole engine.

I would rather keep my nicely sealing factory drain plug or buy a fumoto quick drain.

Im currently using the Fumoto.

slowman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ABM CTR, 08 Mugen Si, 07 Fit Sport, 06 Acura TSX, 95 240 LS3, 93 Civic VX B16B
Country flag
Somewhat related: is the factory Type R transmission drain plug magnetic? Sometimes manufacturers put magnetic ones in transmissions from the factory.
It is not. But there is usually a magnet attached inside the transmission you will never see unless it's opened up.

Bunhyung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport Touring

I'm sorry, but Fumoto "quick drain" is an oxymoron.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I'm sorry, but Fumoto "quick drain" is an oxymoron.
Well, "quick" refers to your involvement in the process of oil change..... The flow itself with any sort of valve must be slower than the full-bore flow.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
IMO there is no need of a magnet.
Change your oil more often than less with new filter that is only your engine need.

blitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Anyone using oil drain plug with magnet? is it a must buy?
If you decide to buy one, the size you need is: M14 x 1.5. The length can be no longer than 18mm (ie M14 x 1.5 x 16 will work).

A good filter will get any loose particles, so a magnet is probably not necessary. However, the EZ drain valves (Fumoto or EZ Oil Drain Valve) are good to prevent some clown at a service station from stripping your drain bolt during an oil change.

Last edited:

Jimmyjambo_fk8

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
which EZ Quick Drain did you purchase for the CTR???? I dont wanna order the incorrect one. thanks
Sponsored