Dragon Report

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag
We just got back from The Dragon (CTR's first road trip) and I just couldn't believe how multi-talented this car is. Fabulous gas mileage on the way down (running 80-85mph), very comfortable for 7 hours each way, and tons of room for all our stuff. Got there, unloaded everything at the cabin, hit +R mode and never looked back. This car screamed like a banshee through those 319 turns. Must have run it 14-16 times in the CTR over three days and more than that with the bikes we trailered down with the truck. Never a hint of brake fade, even after multiple back-to-back runs.....I was noticing the sweet smell of brake pads being thoroughly used though! Just such a tossable car in the twisties, especially on a highly technical road like The Dragon. It truly inspires confidence to push it just a little more, and it just never steps out of line....

Things happen so fast on that road, it was nice to have auto-rev matching for the few times a 3-2 downshift was needed (to keep the turbo on boil at all times)

I hooked up with a couple of folks from Canada in two 911 GT-3's who have been going down to The Dragon for years as we have, and we did a couple of runs together. I could not keep up with them, of course, but was never more than 4-5 car lengths behind....not bad for a $35k car (if there were longer straights, I would have likely been 8-9 car lengths behind!). That GT-3 is put together seriously well.

Just a side note. Only experienced one idiot crossing the double yellow the entire time (on a Harley cruiser, of course, and I can say that because I have had my Harley cruiser on the Dragon before, and if you ride within the limits of that bike you can stay on your side and still have fun). Everyone else played by the rules to ensure we all had a fun, safe time on that legendary road. BTW, Harley riders, why can't you use one of the many pull-offs when someone comes up behind you? I digress. Never spotted a LEO once during my three days there. Maybe they just show up on weekends when everybody hits that road. I have never been there on a weekend, but I can imagine it's like a goat rodeo.

Next spring, it will likely be time for new pads and rubber.....so we can go again in May!
Sponsored

mbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Nice!! I ran the dragon last week in my Type R. I loved every second of it. The car performs extremely well. I started the run behind a Golf R and ran him off the road (not literally, was on his tail the whole time and he pulled over). The Type R deliveries in all types of driving. It was easily my best experience behind the whee of any car to this date. I’m trying to plan a trip back there soon!

OP
OP

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag
Any cam footage?
I've been meaning to get a in-car set up. My wife has a 4k GoPro, but I always forget about getting the mounting rig that would work inside the car!

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
I've been meaning to get a in-car set up. My wife has a 4k GoPro, but I always forget about getting the mounting rig that would work inside the car!
Hook us up next time! I just like watching track vids.

Detailmylifeaway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic type r , s2000 , delsol & soon to be a NSX
Country flag
Man that sounds like so much fun. I can’t wait to plan a trip to the Dragon. And I’m only 5 hours away. Hell I need to just make a day trip out of it. It would be awesome to link up with a few other R owners.

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord, 2018 Pilot, 2017 Si, 2018 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Man that sounds like so much fun. I can’t wait to plan a trip to the Dragon. And I’m only 5 hours away. Hell I need to just make a day trip out of it. It would be awesome to link up with a few other R owners.
You should plan on doing the Wake the Dragon run with us in the spring.@360glitch should let us know in plenty of time. Had a blast last year.

OP
OP

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You should plan on doing the Wake the Dragon run with us in the spring.@360glitch should let us know in plenty of time. Had a blast last year.
Oh I would be very interested in that!
Sponsored