Dr. Colorchip - Sonic Gray Pearl

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'll get right to it... Dr. Colorchip works really well. It's not cheap - I think I got the least expensive starter kit ($45) but that should last for quite a few rock chip touchups. I've had it before when I had a Lunar Silver EX-T and today I received it for my Sonic Gray EX hatch. The color match was nearly spot on including the metallic/pearl portion and it's such a small quantity you're dabbing it's going to be hard to tell the difference (see pics).

I'm tagging @daniellee789 on this since he also just got a Sonic Gray hatch like mine and had a question about fixing rock chips.

'Nuff chit chat, here's the pics.

Unboxing:
Honda Civic 10th gen Dr. Colorchip - Sonic Gray Pearl BeCCC6L

Honda Civic 10th gen Dr. Colorchip - Sonic Gray Pearl kpjmmaC

The application is truly as easy as 1, 2, 3...
Honda Civic 10th gen Dr. Colorchip - Sonic Gray Pearl qzky5E

The color-matched paint (not 100-percent but pretty damn close)
Honda Civic 10th gen Dr. Colorchip - Sonic Gray Pearl VWYL8CD

This though is the magic juice...
Honda Civic 10th gen Dr. Colorchip - Sonic Gray Pearl oTnaeE

Moving on to the application. These are a couple of the nicks I saw. :(
Honda Civic 10th gen Dr. Colorchip - Sonic Gray Pearl fbzQW2N

Dab and smear. I've learned that DCC doesn't "fill" the chip like typical touch up paint so don't expect that if you use it.
Honda Civic 10th gen Dr. Colorchip - Sonic Gray Pearl 3b2mB37

Here's another down by the splitter...
Honda Civic 10th gen Dr. Colorchip - Sonic Gray Pearl c0DjTVA

Let it cure for 5-10 minutes and then apply the blending solution (magic juice).
Honda Civic 10th gen Dr. Colorchip - Sonic Gray Pearl XaJiPOv

magic juice applied at the splitter
Honda Civic 10th gen Dr. Colorchip - Sonic Gray Pearl rQrKKCQ

So conclusion. Are you going to still see the chip/nick? Yeah if you're right on top of it and looking hard. But from your typical view standing a few feet away? No, the nicks and chips are pretty well blended. I finished with Meguairs' detailer and wax just to give it a "coating" over the touched up surface.

Dr. Colorchip is better, imho, than typical OEM touch up in that you won't see the paint "wart" or blemish since DCC cures more flat. Also, DCC is easy to apply and cleanup. Probably didn't really take more than 30 minutes (I took my time) to do the job. It took me longer since I had to set up and shoot the pics.

Jeiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FC3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
You can do a better job with the dealer paint pens that include a clear coat on one side and paint on the other. It takes a little more elbow grease, but the chips become nearly invisible.

OP
OP
silverrascal

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You can do a better job with the dealer paint pens that include a clear coat on one side and paint on the other. It takes a little more elbow grease, but the chips become nearly invisible.
Maybe you can, and that's great. But I've tried and I'm usually not pleased with the result. That's where Dr. Colorchip excels, it doesn't require a lot of precision and the fix is pretty darn good, imho.

It's not for everyone and I understand that. But I like the product and the results.

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I'll get right to it... Dr. Colorchip works really well. It's not cheap - I think I got the least expensive starter kit ($45) but that should last for quite a few rock chip touchups. I've had it before when I had a Lunar Silver EX-T and today I received it for my Sonic Gray EX hatch. The color match was nearly spot on including the metallic/pearl portion and it's such a small quantity you're dabbing it's going to be hard to tell the difference (see pics).

I'm tagging @daniellee789 on this since he also just got a Sonic Gray hatch like mine and had a question about fixing rock chips.

'Nuff chit chat, here's the pics.

Unboxing:
BeCCC6L.jpg

kpjmmaC.jpg

The application is truly as easy as 1, 2, 3...
qzky5Ej.jpg

The color-matched paint (not 100-percent but pretty damn close)
VWYL8CD.jpg

This though is the magic juice...
oTnaeEg.jpg

Moving on to the application. These are a couple of the nicks I saw. :(
fbzQW2N.jpg

Dab and smear. I've learned that DCC doesn't "fill" the chip like typical touch up paint so don't expect that if you use it.
3b2mB37.jpg

Here's another down by the splitter...
c0DjTVA.jpg

Let it cure for 5-10 minutes and then apply the blending solution (magic juice).
XaJiPOv.jpg

magic juice applied at the splitter
rQrKKCQ.jpg

So conclusion. Are you going to still see the chip/nick? Yeah if you're right on top of it and looking hard. But from your typical view standing a few feet away? No, the nicks and chips are pretty well blended. I finished with Meguairs' detailer and wax just to give it a "coating" over the touched up surface.

Dr. Colorchip is better, imho, than typical OEM touch up in that you won't see the paint "wart" or blemish since DCC cures more flat. Also, DCC is easy to apply and cleanup. Probably didn't really take more than 30 minutes (I took my time) to do the job. It took me longer since I had to set up and shoot the pics.
Silverrascal Did you use by the splitter the Touch paint pen before ? I could tell by the stand up paint thats how mine looks like

OP
OP
silverrascal

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Silverrascal Did you use by the splitter the Touch paint pen before ? I could tell by the stand up paint thats how mine looks like
I used Dr. Colorchip on all the chips. The "stand up paint" as you mentioned was after I dabbed the paint on the chip to let it cure. But if you look at the last shot there's very little build up of paint after I used the sealant or blending solution. Color chip doesn't typically build up any paint in my experience.

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I used Dr. Colorchip on all the chips. The "stand up paint" as you mentioned was after I dabbed the paint on the chip to let it cure. But if you look at the last shot there's very little build up of paint after I used the sealant or blending solution. Color chip doesn't typically build up any paint in my experience.
I just got my Dr.Color Chip kit today. When I apply do I smear it into the ship as it says? Ive seen some videos where they put the paint inside the chip straight in with the brush

OP
OP
silverrascal

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just got my Dr.Color Chip kit today. When I apply do I smear it into the ship as it says? Ive seen some videos where they put the paint inside the chip straight in with the brush
I dabbed into the chip and smear it. I then let it cure about a minute or two then apply the blending solution which removes the excess. Good luck!

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I dabbed into the chip and smear it. I then let it cure about a minute or two then apply the blending solution which removes the excess. Good luck!
Crossing fingers since the paint of my civic Metal Polish METALLIC. Ive heard its hard to work with Metallic painta

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I finally use it
It work pretty good on my Metallic Paint
Yes i just notice not a Blob but a little build after I use the Sealent you just can notice it from sideways

Civic_Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Question about this if you were going to use this as part of a larger car detail with a machine polisher would you be able to use a compund after using this on your paint or is there a cure time. Also would you apply the clear coat after using a machine polish or before?

Thanks

xRiCeBoYx

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I finally use it
It work pretty good on my Metallic Paint
Yes i just notice not a Blob but a little build after I use the Sealent you just can notice it from sideways
got pics of your filled in chips? I've noticed a good handful of rock chips on my PMM that are pissing me off. lol

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Question about this if you were going to use this as part of a larger car detail with a machine polisher would you be able to use a compund after using this on your paint or is there a cure time. Also would you apply the clear coat after using a machine polish or before?

Thanks
There is a cure time I read on the box if Applying Wax to your car after you fix a chip with Dr.ColorChip gotta wait at least 3 day. About if you can polish your car with a compound it would before . I also had that question if you can polish it with compound after few days you cure a chip i E-mail Dr.colorchip asking that same question and no reply yet

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
got pics of your filled in chips? I've noticed a good handful of rock chips on my PMM that are pissing me off. lol
Ill take some tomorrow the chip its less niticeble in the Sun , i cannot really find it. But when in the shade or the sun is going down i can barely see it , if im Hard looking for it. You fill up the chips but not 100% youll be able to see the cratter but it definitely would be less notible by far you wont be able to see it from a couple feet away i have metallic paint so its harder to hide a correction. One thing I can Assure you its better than using touch up paint and end with Blobbs
Sponsored