DP install

SperryCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I know there’s a bunch of threads on this and I’ve read a bunch. But for the life of me I cannot get these damn 12mm bolts off for the heat shield. I’ve been soaking them and soaking them and they absolutely will not budge. Does anyone have any ideas to break these things loose?
Sponsored

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Damn, you're gonna have a fun time getting the actual DP bolts off if the heat shield bolts aren't cooperating lol. Could try heating them up.

OP
OP
SperryCTR

SperryCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Go to the gym more

Kidding... sorta. Like any stuck bolt, more torque the better. Leverage is also great. If you have an air hammer, try to break the rust. When all else fails, use the blue wrench
The problem is the one bolt that sits underneath the intake. The way the bolt is situated I only have about 5 degrees of turning space to work with before I’m hitting the frame. And I’m using every leverage technique in the book but I’m shaking the whole block trying to get this thing loose, I’m afraid I’m gonna break something

OP
OP
SperryCTR

SperryCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Damn, you're gonna have a fun time getting the actual DP bolts off if the heat shield bolts aren't cooperating lol. Could try heating them up.
I’m hoping since I just had my awe exhaust (Comes with a frontpipe) installed a couple weeks ago it won’t be as rusted. Also, at least I have room to work with down there. The one bolt for the heat shield I have like no room to turn the damn thing

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
This is discouraging... I just bought the afe exhaust with dp - waiting until it's not 100 degrees outside to install it

Can you take the dp off with the shield on? Getting it off first might be what you have to do in order to get the shield off easily

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I’m hoping since I just had my awe exhaust (Comes with a frontpipe) installed a couple weeks ago it won’t be as rusted. Also, at least I have room to work with down there. The one bolt for the heat shield I have like no room to turn the damn thing
I was talking about the ones holding the DP to the turbo. Those are notoriously difficult. Make sure you have a breaker bar or cheater bar handy.

OP
OP
SperryCTR

SperryCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
This is discouraging... I just bought the afe exhaust with dp - waiting until it's not 100 degrees outside to install it

Can you take the dp off with the shield on? Getting it off first might be what you have to do in order to get the shield off easily
You can’t get to the bolts holding the DP onto the turbo without removing the heat shield first.

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Any updates man? I'm doing mine this weekend. Definitely a struggle so far

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
PB Blaster. PB Blaster. PB Blaster. More PB Blaster. Hell, mix liquid wrench in there too if you want to spice things up and be that crazy person.

But then spray more PB Blaster.

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
PB Blaster. PB Blaster. PB Blaster. More PB Blaster. Hell, mix liquid wrench in there too if you want to spice things up and be that crazy person.

But then spray more PB Blaster.
Been soaking with PB blaster for 3 days. Praying it will all be ok

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Been soaking with PB blaster for 3 days. Praying it will all be ok
Should be fine, sounds like you know how to "spray and pray" :rofl:

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
So it turns out I lost my O2 socket.
Is it 100% necessary to swap out the sensors?
The downstream sensor looks like I can get it with a wrench... what about the upstream?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hb sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The problem is the one bolt that sits underneath the intake. The way the bolt is situated I only have about 5 degrees of turning space to work with before I’m hitting the frame. And I’m using every leverage technique in the book but I’m shaking the whole block trying to get this thing loose, I’m afraid I’m gonna break something
Want more room? Remove the top bar that sits above the radiator

mclargehuge

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si hfp
Country flag
Super Kano Kroil works better than anything I've ever tried. It freed rusted started bolts on my old Honda element that had been sitting for a year through a Maryland winter. Pb blaster wouldn't budge them
Sponsored