Downsides / Risks to using turbo blanket? Specifically USR Turbo Blanket

FK8_K20c1

HONDA The Power of Earth Dreams Technology!
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Vouching for the turbo blanket and wrapped dp. From my experience with the car, when the car was stock after a couple of pulls I was unable to open the hood due to how hot it was. After the turbo blanket and wrapped dp it never happened again. Also I did the turbo blanket first than the downpipe and I felt the car more eager to go my mods at that time were Mishimoto Intake, milltek catback and Intercooler. I definitely recommend it.
Sponsored

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

jcp227

First Name
Jimmy Mack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue (It's even got a rear spoiler)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Should of just removed the blankets before having Honda inspect
May I ask why? Did Honda say something or give you an issue about the blanket?

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
May I ask why? Did Honda say something or give you an issue about the blanket?
If Honda sees that they’ll void warranty

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
Turbo bearing going bye bye because the oil inside the turbo overheated and ate the bearing.
Indeed I was thinking that maybe turbo / other engine components were not designed to operate under such high temperatures for a prolonged time.
Why did not Honda install turbo blankets from factory if it's such a good thing? I'm just trying to find a rational explanation.

jcp227

First Name
Jimmy Mack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue (It's even got a rear spoiler)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
<snip>
Why did not Honda install turbo blankets from factory if it's such a good thing? I'm just trying to find a rational explanation.
The blanket would have to last as long as the emissions warranty was in effect, and that is doubtful. Blankets are also sensitive to contamination by oil (fire hazard) and water. Thus, they need inspection and maintenance at racecar levels, not street car levels.

Godofelru

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
My old car ran a turbo blanket for 5 years and nearly 40k miles while I had it. Those miles were hard miles at redline frequently. The cooling improvements were genuine and well utilized. I never noticed any adverse maintenance impact. In fact, the person who bought my car nearly 4 years ago at this point is still going strong with no additional maintenance required on the turbo end of things. I was also pretty guilty of not letting the car idle down after some hard runs.

SHIFTT_IX_MR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 WW EVO 9 MR 548AWHP @ 30psi w/ E85; 2018 CBP Civic Type R #21151 - DD
Country flag
i dont think there are any cons to having a turbo blanket. it'll make under hood temperatures go down and EGT go up which are both good things. a turbo blanket and some ceramic coated pipes will be even more beneficial. wrapping a down pipe or front pipe will just cause it to retain water and rust so ceramic coating is the way to go.

prl_dpfp.jpg
Finally someone went the correct way. Ceramic coating is much better. it doesn't take up space like the blankets. the coating is near bulletproof, in terms of it's longevity, it won't rip, absorb moisture, just to name a few.

Blankets hold moisture which in turn can rust or corrode your parts. Ceramic coating offers superior thermal protection, while enhancing or increasing the flow in the exhaust because the heat is being retained in the pipe - thus increasing spool response, because the exhaust gases can now faster, and maybe more efficiently out of the engine. Want more heat retention? Pull the turbo and ceramic coat the hotside, also do all the heat shields. Those blankets literally cost more than ceramic coating itself. I got my downpipe, o2 housing, exhaust housing, and my test pipe are ceramic coated. It's been maybe 6 six years and they look brand new. Got my done by Tirado Custom Coating in Texas. I live in FL. Shipping was not cheap, but I can't find anyone close to me who could do the work carlos does at Tirado Custom Coatings.
Sponsored