First Name
Yi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FK8
Country flag
Hi everyone,

I recently joinedvthe type R family and am looking for a few upgrades already! One of the items I am looking at isvthe downpipe.
I am in the philadelphia PA area so wondering which downpipes currently are street legal for PA emission laws. I really want the PRL HV downpipe but it seems it is not CARB legal yet.
Also if any one know good shops in the area to do the installation, please let me know! I am new to mods (Only did some very basic mods to my R like the padel spacer and K tuner) but would not mind doing things myself, and yet if a reputable shop can do this for me that would be great as well.
Mods I am lookibg at:

Mishimoto Intercooler
PRL HV intake or Eventuri Intake
Acuity Cable Bushings
Acuity stage 3 shifter
XXX downpipe and front pipe

Thank you all so much for you advise in advance!

Sincerely
Sponsored

CTRnFun

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Welcome,

I just completed the catted PRL HV downpipe and front pipe install. I had the stud freeze up and had to drill it out. This is common with these cars. My lack of experience made it harder than it needed to be. Lots of good info on how to try and avoid the need to drill it out. I recommend removing the hot-side of the turbo. Just the 2 stud/nuts and 2 bolts, a bracket bolt on the bottom, and the clamp connecting the hot and cold sides. Use new nuts and bolts, or like myself, use new Rampage titanium studs with nuts to avoid the issue for future installs.

The PRL HV downpipe is expensive but really improves the spooling time, gives the car a slightly deeper growl as well. The downpipe is supposed to come with stand-offs that allow you to use the side OEM heat shield. My kit was missing them though. The top heat shield connects directly to the downpipe. Going to hit up @PRLmotorsports about this. I bring this up because someone at the vehicle inspection will almost certainly not have a clue what they are looking at, it really looks like OEM with both of the shields on. It uses the original O2 sensors and I have not had a CEL or any errors since installing. It will require a tune. If you are not ready for the full custom tune, I would suggest something like the Phearable stage 2.0 (@phearable). It is worth the money. You could use one of the Hondata base maps if trying to budget. Not sure about the base maps though. I am not familiar with K-tuner and have no input on that front.

The PRL HVI does give a good increase in power, but mainly, it sounds fantastic. Sounds like a blow-off valve. Needs a tune for this and an intercooler install as well. I have no info on non-PRL bolt-ons at this point.

OP
OP

Takeshi1012

First Name
Yi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FK8
Country flag
Welcome,

I just completed the catted PRL HV downpipe and front pipe install. I had the stud freeze up and had to drill it out. This is common with these cars. My lack of experience made it harder than it needed to be. Lots of good info on how to try and avoid the need to drill it out. I recommend removing the hot-side of the turbo. Just the 2 stud/nuts and 2 bolts, a bracket bolt on the bottom, and the clamp connecting the hot and cold sides. Use new nuts and bolts, or like myself, use new Rampage titanium studs with nuts to avoid the issue for future installs.

The PRL HV downpipe is expensive but really improves the spooling time, gives the car a slightly deeper growl as well. The downpipe is supposed to come with stand-offs that allow you to use the side OEM heat shield. My kit was missing them though. The top heat shield connects directly to the downpipe. Going to hit up @PRLmotorsports about this. I bring this up because someone at the vehicle inspection will almost certainly not have a clue what they are looking at, it really looks like OEM with both of the shields on. It uses the original O2 sensors and I have not had a CEL or any errors since installing. It will require a tune. If you are not ready for the full custom tune, I would suggest something like the Phearable stage 2.0 (@phearable). It is worth the money. You could use one of the Hondata base maps if trying to budget. Not sure about the base maps though. I am not familiar with K-tuner and have no input on that front.

The PRL HVI does give a good increase in power, but mainly, it sounds fantastic. Sounds like a blow-off valve. Needs a tune for this and an intercooler install as well. I have no info on non-PRL bolt-ons at this point.
Thank you so much for the reply Man! I am, actually, most interested in the PRL HV Downpipe and front pipe but the issue is that the DP is currently only CARB ready but not yet approved. PA is one of the CARB states so not sure how it would come out during the annual emission test.

I did ask two step performance the same question and it seems like PRL is working on the CARB appoval. I guess the best option I have right now is to wait and see what happen and work on other upgrades first……

Warpspeed

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Evo8, EF Civic Si, and 2020 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
Wait....your in Philly, why would you be concern if its CARB legal. The "C" is California. I would check your local emission standard and find out. Unless California is that powerful that they dedictate what other states can and can't do.

OP
OP

Takeshi1012

First Name
Yi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FK8
Country flag
Wait....your in Philly, why would you be concern if its CARB legal. The "C" is California. I would check your local emission standard and find out. Unless California is that powerful that they dedictate what other states can and can't do.
That is what I thought and then I saw there are like 14 states doing the CRAB thing. See attached
Honda Civic 10th gen Downpipe Inquiry 7513CF68-BD26-4670-A419-6CAFAFCC1927

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Si, 19 Accord 2.0T, 23 Type R
Country flag
Thank you so much for the reply Man! I am, actually, most interested in the PRL HV Downpipe and front pipe but the issue is that the DP is currently only CARB ready but not yet approved. PA is one of the CARB states so not sure how it would come out during the annual emission test.

I did ask two step performance the same question and it seems like PRL is working on the CARB appoval. I guess the best option I have right now is to wait and see what happen and work on other upgrades first……
I apologize if you were given any contradicting information but the latest from PRL is that we should not expect carb approval for their downpipes. While their high volume downpipes filter the exhaust as well as they are supposed to, the CARB board requires a particular type of dual catalyst design (like the OEM design) that is not possible with current materials available from high performance catalyst suppliers at this time. That being said, I would be surprised if you had any trouble using one of their HVDPs in PA.

Warpspeed

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Evo8, EF Civic Si, and 2020 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
That's good info. That's why a lot of people hate California. California should be the capital of the U.S. because they are trying to deditate what they want to other states.

OP
OP

Takeshi1012

First Name
Yi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FK8
Country flag
I apologize if you were given any contradicting information but the latest from PRL is that we should not expect carb approval for their downpipes. While their high volume downpipes filter the exhaust as well as they are supposed to, the CARB board requires a particular type of dual catalyst design (like the OEM design) that is not possible with current materials available from high performance catalyst suppliers at this time. That being said, I would be surprised if you had any trouble using one of their HVDPs in PA.
Thank you for replying TSP. I guess if you dobt mind sharing, would you mind letting us know if any sales of the DP to the aforeentioned 14 states had reportes emission compliance issue? May be hard to tell but I figure I would ask……

OP
OP

Takeshi1012

First Name
Yi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FK8
Country flag
That's good info. That's why a lot of people hate California. California should be the capital of the U.S. because they are trying to deditate what they want to other states.
Yeah Man, not sure since when actually enjoying driving became a crime. Maybe we should get some reserach done to prove that CO2 is good for health then we can drive cars they way they are supposed to be again

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Si, 19 Accord 2.0T, 23 Type R
Country flag
Thank you for replying TSP. I guess if you dobt mind sharing, would you mind letting us know if any sales of the DP to the aforeentioned 14 states had reportes emission compliance issue? May be hard to tell but I figure I would ask……
No problem at all. We have sold hundreds of these high volume downpipes to users all over the US and have never had anyone report any trouble with them. Per PRL's request we do not offer shipping of their downpipes to California or New York. All other states are good to go.

patrickb7

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hi everyone,

I recently joinedvthe type R family and am looking for a few upgrades already! One of the items I am looking at isvthe downpipe.
I am in the philadelphia PA area so wondering which downpipes currently are street legal for PA emission laws. I really want the PRL HV downpipe but it seems it is not CARB legal yet.
Also if any one know good shops in the area to do the installation, please let me know! I am new to mods (Only did some very basic mods to my R like the padel spacer and K tuner) but would not mind doing things myself, and yet if a reputable shop can do this for me that would be great as well.
Mods I am lookibg at:

Mishimoto Intercooler
PRL HV intake or Eventuri Intake
Acuity Cable Bushings
Acuity stage 3 shifter
XXX downpipe and front pipe

Thank you all so much for you advise in advance!

Sincerely
Out of curiosity, what color is your Type R? I'm a recent Philly transplant and also picked up my Type R recently. I'll make sure to give you a wave if I see ya

OP
OP

Takeshi1012

First Name
Yi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FK8
Country flag
Out of curiosity, what color is your Type R? I'm a recent Philly transplant and also picked up my Type R recently. I'll make sure to give you a wave if I see ya
Welcome to Philly! It is a boost blue one. The color is definitely a little too much but the car is amazing.

jb99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic type-r
Country flag
I'm a little late to this thread but I live outside Philly and have prl dp and passed emissions with it in Nov 22. All emissions test show ok when reading them with hondata.
Sponsored