Downpipe Decibles? What are you guys hearing....

BobbyA

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe (PRL Stage 1, Hondata FlashPro, PRL Flex Fuel e85, HardRace Rear Mount, Megan Racing Strut Bar) Wish List: PRL Catted Downpipe, Eibach Pro Springs Kit, Seibon Carbon Fiber Hood & Trunk.
Country flag
I'm interested in the performance/HP gains from one of the various Downpipe & Frontpipe aftermarket parts for sale, but many of the YouTube videos I've watched where guys have installed these, often they sound like (for lack of a better word) lots of Pop & Rattle. Maybe that's just audio uploaded from iPhones and such, but I'm curious what everyone's experience (noise wise) is with these???

Questions:
1) Are the "Catted" Downpipes a little more quiet than the Catless Downpipes?
2) Is just a Catted Downpipe, NO Frontpipe less quiet? Is it the combination of both Downpipe and Frontpipe that raises the crescendo of noise?
Sponsored

Last edited:

skottharrison

First Name
Skott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Sedan, 2021 Subaru Crosstrek
Country flag
1) Catted DPs do offer a more muffled and less deep exhaust note, but for a 1.5L there isn't much "Deepness" present.
2) The frontpipe is necessary to connect the DP to the (stock) resonator. If you wanted maximum gains from an upgraded turbo, moving to a larger diameter FP and exhaust piping to the muffler (or delete) would yield some more gains, but also be louder. Stock sizing should be fine for the stock turbo at this moment.

Reactions: AVR

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
Funnily enough I measured this yesterday via a phone app (Sound Meter on Andorid Play Store)

With the 27won Catted DP + AWE Touring Exhaust, my Si is reading 80db at 75mph. A stock DP would likely read 65-70db.

Would be interesting to see more responses with everyone's setups and their readings
Sponsored