First Name
timtzotz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R (SGP); 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek
Country flag
Good day,

I tried searching the forum but couldn't find this topic. Not specific to Type R but those in the market may be purchasing in another state. If I understand, I would have to pay local sales tax in state of purchase, then pay state sales tax when I bring it to Florida. Am I not understanding this correctly? Any way around this?

I wouldn't mind the shipping transport fees, but double tax would hurt a bit.

Appreciate the advice as always

I have been putting this forum for a while, back from deployment and ready to purchase. Just at a price that is reasonable
Sponsored

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
No you just pay sales tax in the state you are in - so they basically give the title to your state office then you pay the taxes there and they release it to you / wherever / your lender in some instances.

The dealership will handle that aspect of it - just let them know you are buying from another state and where you live etc..

I bought my car in Louisiana and live in Houston, Texas.

Bunhyung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport Touring
Good day,

I tried searching the forum but couldn't find this topic. Not specific to Type R but those in the market may be purchasing in another state. If I understand, I would have to pay local sales tax in state of purchase, then pay state sales tax when I bring it to Florida. Am I not understanding this correctly? Any way around this?

I wouldn't mind the shipping transport fees, but double tax would hurt a bit.

Appreciate the advice as always

I have been putting this forum for a while, back from deployment and ready to purchase. Just at a price that is reasonable
You shouldn't have to pay the local sales tax if buying as a resident of another state. When you register the car in your state you will have to pay that states sales tax. DO be aware that the dealer may not provide temporary tags if required. Also, you will have to pay and fill out your states Title application and pay the associated fee. AS far as inspection, that varies greatly.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You pay tax in where you live only. Might have to pay temporary tag (~$120) while the car is in transport.

If less than 900 miles away, I’d take the weekend off and get a rental and drive back TBH. I drove alone from DFW to Los Angeles in about 30 hours (including rest stops and meals) when I was younger and in the service.

Last edited:

Z06Chris

First Name
C. Yi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
When I bought my Z06 in Michigan from Georgia, they added my local 7% tax onto the total financed. After it was said and done, they cut me a check for the 7% to go to the DMV and pay the taxes myself.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
You don’t pay local sales tax. You only need to pay sales tax where you live.

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
IIRC how taxes are handled depends on how the car was delivered (driving it off the lot vs loading it on a truck). When all is said and done, you shouldn't get double taxed though.

Last edited:

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
Typically, you pay sales tax when and where you register the car. In some states, however, you pay sales tax where you buy the car, but get a credit for that when you register.

In sum, you only pay sales tax once no matter what.
Sponsored