Door speakers

VAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I'm looking to start collecting items I need to replace my door 6.5s and tweeters and I have a few questions. Initially the speakers and tweets will run off the stock system and I'll amp them later on.

How deep of a mountings depth can we get away with?

Should I get speaker spacers?

Are adapters needed for mounting?

Are there adapters for plugging into the stock harness?

So far on the list to get is Sound Deadener, Fast Rings and maybe some closed cell foam for the door card.

Any advice is appreciated.
Sponsored

PandaXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T with Honda Sensing
Country flag
I have C2-650x and they have a mounting dept of 2.44 in / 62 mm and they fit

You need speaker mounts and speaker wire adapters, you will have to splice the tweeter wires yourself
speaker wire harness
Metra 72-7800

Speaker Brackets
American International HSB524

Maybe you should replace your front center speaker too

I'm looking to start collecting items I need to replace my door 6.5s and tweeters and I have a few questions. Initially the speakers and tweets will run off the stock system and I'll amp them later on.

How deep of a mountings depth can we get away with?

Should I get speaker spacers?

Are adapters needed for mounting?

Are there adapters for plugging into the stock harness?

So far on the list to get is Sound Deadener, Fast Rings and maybe some closed cell foam for the door card.

Any advice is appreciated.

OP
OP

VAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I have C2-650x and they have a mounting dept of 2.44 in / 62 mm and they fit

You need speaker mounts and speaker wire adapters, you will have to splice the tweeter wires yourself
speaker wire harness
Metra 72-7800

Speaker Brackets
American International HSB524

Maybe you should replace your front center speaker too
I have a center speaker speaker waiting.

Thank you for the info.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
How big of a difference would replacing the door and center speakers make?

And any definite answer to if the SPIDF2 connection is standard or not? Some say it can be decoded by off the shelf dsp or amps?

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
How big of a difference would replacing the door and center speakers make?
My experience is that upgrading the speakers is more of a power-handling upgrade rather than a sound upgrade. They will certainly sound better; no doubt. But there's no magical deep bass or sparkling clarity in the signal that will be unlocked with a better speaker, generally.

Most of the magic happens with the amp. But upgrading amps (or doing software stuff to make them change their output), often, will create a situation where the amp is more powerful than the speaker can handle. So you then have to upgrade the speakers to take advantage of the amp upgrade.

Generally... the amp creates and colors the sound. The speakers just move the air to reproduce that sound as accurately as possible.

Good luck with it.

Deleted member 40377

Back in January, I put new door speakers all around. Hated the stock system. Used Apline to fill the holes. Didn't want to mess the dash so kept the factory head unit and added an Alpine amp (45w/chx4) and an under-seat powered sub with remote. Now have plenty of range and with the adjustable sub, some thump to go along. Very happy with the result. Won't win any trophies but can now commute with some decent tunes.

Last edited by a moderator:

cheddaboi

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Ex-L
Country flag
Back in January, I put new door speakers all around. Hated the stock system. Used Apline to fill the holes. Didn't want to mess the dash so kept the factory head unit and added an Alpine amp (45w/chx4) and an under-seat passive sub with remote. Now have plenty of range and with the adjustable sub, some thump to go along. Very happy with the result. Won't win any trophies but can now commute with some decent tunes.
May i ask what under seat subs you get?

beatleknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe EX-T, 2007 Honda Ridgeline RTX
Country flag
Back in January, I put new door speakers all around. Hated the stock system. Used Apline to fill the holes. Didn't want to mess the dash so kept the factory head unit and added an Alpine amp (45w/chx4) and an under-seat passive sub with remote. Now have plenty of range and with the adjustable sub, some thump to go along. Very happy with the result. Won't win any trophies but can now commute with some decent tunes.
Back in December I added an Alpine powered sub (underseat), then sound insulation in the doors and rear dash. Added Foal speakers on the doors (coupe) and plan on installing a 4 channel amp (Rear dash speakers and “sub” are stock) next month. Hope that gets me where I want in terms of sound quality because the Focals don’t seem to be as clear and loud as they should be. I blame the stock amplification.

Deleted member 40377

May i ask what under seat subs you get?
It was the Alpine PWE-S8.
The Alpine amp (Alpine KTP-445A Power Pack) I got installed behind the stock head unit. Feeds the 6.5 Alpine door speakers.

There's a little attenuation dial to increase/decrease the amount of bass. Makes it really sound nice now. Bass is a little forward as it's right under the passenger seat but fills in nicely. It's not the custom box in the trunk kind of slam, but enough to get some good kicks in.

Deleted member 40377

Back in December I added an Alpine powered sub (underseat), then sound insulation in the doors and rear dash. Added Foal speakers on the doors (coupe) and plan on installing a 4 channel amp (Rear dash speakers and “sub” are stock) next month. Hope that gets me where I want in terms of sound quality because the Focals don’t seem to be as clear and loud as they should be. I blame the stock amplification.
Amplification seriously makes a difference. I need to deaden all the doors and such. Should have done that when I got the system installed...that can seriously help with the volume.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Anyone know if a 3-1/16 depth door mid-range would fit in the coupe door? Can the window still roll down and how much room is left?

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
Get it at crutchfield, one stop shop. They know what fits, huge variety, and best of all. They include free wiring adapter and brackets along with Car specific color instructions.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don't if I trust Crutchfield. They said JL Audio C2-650 does not fit, but people on here have installed them.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
I don't if I trust Crutchfield. They said JL Audio C2-650 does not fit, but people on here have installed them.
Crutchfield is an excellent resource and they do a lot of vehicle specific measurements, but even they are not perfect.

I've even noticed some speakers where the list of measurements compared to the vehicle are all green checkmarks/fitting yet Crutchfield says they do not fit.

Fortunately crutchfield's return policy extends to items they told you wouldn't fit.

Last edited:

SiLee207

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si
Country flag
Have you found any wiring diagrams ? I need to splice the tweeters and am not sure if either are out of phase or even which one is positive.
Sponsored