Door panel water leak?

ehonda239

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback, Jaguar F-Pace
Country flag
Hey so I'm upgrading my car stereo and speakers. Has anyone noticed that there's a leak in the interior of the door? My factory speaker was wet and I'm worried about damage to my new speakers. Any idea on how to resolve this?

Honda Civic 10th gen Door panel water leak? WIN_20181115_12_12_54_Pro
Sponsored

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
It seems like maybe the seal/trim up at the window may be allowing the water to get past. I know some water in heavy rains can get through. I would have your dealer check it out, especially under warranty. What year is yours? Might be a first year defect or maybe just a defective seal.

OP
OP

ehonda239

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Do you think they’ll make it right though? I don’t have too much faith in them. I live in Florida so heavy rains are common and my car is a 2017 with 40k miles. I just ordered waterproof speaker baffles to protect my speakers with next day delivery. Im concerned for the other parts in there corroding.

Syco54645

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Ex Hatch, Nissan Altima
Country flag
Do you think they’ll make it right though? I don’t have too much faith in them. I live in Florida so heavy rains are common and my car is a 2017 with 40k miles. I just ordered waterproof speaker baffles to protect my speakers with next day delivery. Im concerned for the other parts in there corroding.
I am not posting this to deter you from talking to them, merely saying that I have little faith in a dealership helping as well. I have dealt with two Honda dealers in the past and neither have fixed issues on the car. One they drilled through the front bumper to attach their stupid vanity plate (this was an 08 fit and the instructions specifically said NOT to drill through the bumper). The other instance they marred up my dash replacing lights that burned out in 5k miles.

Two different dealers and neither time did they help me. I wish you luck. I hope I just dealt with shit dealers in the past.

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
It seems like maybe the seal/trim up at the window may be allowing the water to get past. I know some water in heavy rains can get through. I would have your dealer check it out, especially under warranty. What year is yours? Might be a first year defect or maybe just a defective seal.
No this is actually designed so in every car out there. Not window seal is perfect and in fact it was designed not to be. Look underneath your door and you will see a tiny hole that is supposed to drain excess water from the door. It seems it may be plugged, or forgotten in the manufacturing process which seems unlikely.
Think about it, when you have the window down there is a lot of space for water to get in. Check the hole and you should be a-ok.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
No this is actually designed so in every car out there. Not window seal is perfect and in fact it was designed not to be. Look underneath your door and you will see a tiny hole that is supposed to drain excess water from the door. It seems it may be plugged, or forgotten in the manufacturing process which seems unlikely.
Think about it, when you have the window down there is a lot of space for water to get in. Check the hole and you should be a-ok.
Water running down the INSIDE of the door glass, is something to watch out for when getting your windows tinted.

The car was not designed for water to run down the inside of the glass, and there have been reports of people getting their cars tinted, only to find out that water used when applying the tint has run down the inside the door glass seal and has corroded some of the electrical connections within the door, casing all sorts of unexpected problems.
Make sure anyone tinting your windows knows this is an issue, particularly with the Honda Civics (and probably many other makes of car).

BTW: anyone with a 2018 SI Coupe .. Look at the rear outside seal on the front door glass. I bet that many will find that on the driver's side, neat the rear top, there is a Mold Manufacturing defect, and the seal has a slight bulge in it and does not seal to the glass... Not a big deal.. till you see it, and then it will always see it when you look at the door, and wonder why Honda's Quality control missed this. (Passenger side is defect free)

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Hey so I'm upgrading my car stereo and speakers. Has anyone noticed that there's a leak in the interior of the door? My factory speaker was wet and I'm worried about damage to my new speakers. Any idea on how to resolve this?

WIN_20181115_12_12_54_Pro.jpg
I have yet to open up my Civic's door panel, so I do not speak from Civic experience but :-

It does not look like there is any Plastic sheeting there to protect the speaker from water.
My "old" 1987 Nissan Maxima has a plastic sheet applied to the door, so that any water running down the glass, and into the door, and then out the drain holes at the bottom, cannot run onto the speakers.
As you have the door panel open, you might consider fitting something to protect the speakers from any water dripping down onto them (as well an anything else electrical in the door) -- just be careful you do not introduce something that can rattle or vibrate, especially when the speakers are at high volume

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
Water running down the INSIDE of the door glass, is something to watch out for when getting your windows tinted.

The car was not designed for water to run down the inside of the glass, and there have been reports of people getting their cars tinted, only to find out that water used when applying the tint has run down the inside the door glass seal and has corroded some of the electrical connections within the door, casing all sorts of unexpected problems.
Make sure anyone tinting your windows knows this is an issue, particularly with the Honda Civics (and probably many other makes of car).

BTW: anyone with a 2018 SI Coupe .. Look at the rear outside seal on the front door glass. I bet that many will find that on the driver's side, neat the rear top, there is a Mold Manufacturing defect, and the seal has a slight bulge in it and does not seal to the glass... Not a big deal.. till you see it, and then it will always see it when you look at the door, and wonder why Honda's Quality control missed this. (Passenger side is defect free)
Didn't mean inside, I meant outside

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Didn't mean inside, I meant outside
Yes, I know YOU meant Outside -- I am extending that to also talk about the inside, that is not without it's issues as well.
ANY water getting into the door is a potential problem, unless means are in place to deal with it.... like open drain holes, or protection over electrical components.

OP
OP

ehonda239

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

I think the seal was damaged during tinting. I tested how bad the leak was by pouring a bottle of water on the glass and it all rolled right through. Any idea on how to fix that? I noticed some rusting on a bolt inside the door holding it to the brackets connected to the rest of the car.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think the seal was damaged during tinting. I tested how bad the leak was by pouring a bottle of water on the glass and it all rolled right through. Any idea on how to fix that? I noticed some rusting on a bolt inside the door holding it to the brackets connected to the rest of the car.
The seal defect I was talking about is actually on the outside.

As far as water getting down into the door (from either side), that is something I have read about on this forum.
I have not opened up my door panels yet to see what may be going on inside, but from the Pic posted earlier, it does NOT look like anything is done (as standard) to protect the speaker... or anything else.

MY thought would eb to spay a coat of Polyurethane varnish (ie Like electrical Conformal Coating -- but who know what that would do to any Warranty !!! )
over anything in the door that could rust, and to protect drop falling water with some form of plastic sheeting.

OP
OP

ehonda239

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The seal defect I was talking about is actually on the outside.

As far as water getting down into the door (from either side), that is something I have read about on this forum.
I have not opened up my door panels yet to see what may be going on inside, but from the Pic posted earlier, it does NOT look like anything is done (as standard) to protect the speaker... or anything else.

MY thought would eb to spay a coat of Polyurethane varnish (ie Like electrical Conformal Coating -- but who know what that would do to any Warranty !!! )
over anything in the door that could rust, and to protect drop falling water with some form of plastic sheeting.
I know you meant the outside of the window. I'm going to take it to the dealer to get those seals checked out. Currently its as if it doesn't have a seal at all.
Sponsored