First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For those of you who have removed the door panel insert ( hard plastic / fabric / leather ) panel and replaced it or wrapped it.. does the panel stay in place fairly well without the melted plastic pieces? it seems to me there's a sufficient amount of clips and screws to hold it in place without needing to drill and re secure the plastic pieces. i guess its not too much work to put in a few screws with big flat washers.. just curious what all you guys think

Honda Civic 10th gen door panel insert replacement IMG_20200512_135147

Honda Civic 10th gen door panel insert replacement IMG_20200512_135152

Scarlet

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Civic LX Sedan - 1998 Civic Hatch - TBD Turbo Something - 2014 Honda Ruckus - 2017 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Interested in this also.

OP
OP
Alphaskoom

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm sorta having second thoughts, i bought a set of Si door panels ( The ones pictured with the fabric inserts with red stitching ) granted they are damaged somewhat - enough that I wouldn't want to remove my perfectly good ones and put those on for. But I'm more interested in the Black leather inserts from the touring model now 2019-2020 i believe. I also bought a set of the JDM door illumination lighting kit, and i know i gotta do some drilling in that too.." hopefully they will work for the coupe.. so I'm holding off for now on installing them. Those door panels are some $315 each new and im not sold on the idea that this insert is worth $630 to me... Don't get me wrong though, I'm ok with doing the swap, I'm just not sure if I'll like the fabric enough when i know i coulda gotten leather to match the center console and armrests the car came with, you know?

On a side note, if anyone has the leather touring door panels on the coupe and wishes to swap with me, I'm open to swapping if they are in good enough shape :) heck I'll give u both sets of door panels (sport and Si) if they are good enough for your own project. I believe the sport door panel is better if your going to attatch those stick on leather pieces vs applying it onto the fabric panels.

DaiLo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wrapped mine but did not remove the melted plastic buttons. I just removed the philips screws to loosen the panel then just tucked and taped it tight. It was a pain in the ass but I didn't want to remove those buttons for the exact fear you're talking about. I don't want rattling or loose panels and wasn't willing to risk it. I suppose if you're completely committed, you could glue it back together and it'll probably hold fine.

OP
OP
Alphaskoom

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
id venture to take the screw and large washer route honestly if i feel the need to, that should hold it. There just seems to be enough clips and odd corners all around it that it should hold itself into place without them, but more structure is always better

FK8BOSSMAN

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R, 1993 H22 Del Sol
Country flag
Well, my fabric to wrap mine just arrived today. Selling my FK8 and got a sport hatch but it has that ugly ivory plastic. I got pretty good at painting interior parts, but I don't wanna mess with these textures ones and they're large so I don't want to paint them. Got the bride shift boot from my R I swapped over and a matching armrest so spent $40 on matching fabric for the door panels. 3m adhesive spray ready to go. No wa I'm doing this project without removing them. My thought process after pulling a panel out and looking at it, there seems to be enough support without all the plastic welds. Thinking I'm going this route and seeing how snug they are after install, then making a call if they need further support. Would love to see anyone else's results before I move forward lol

OP
OP
Alphaskoom

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There was surprisingly quite a bit of support even without the screws I installed in all of those plastic welds I broke off. The studs that were left were hollow which was super convenient when it came to drilling in the self tapping screws, I just was already there and I didn't want to have any creaking later. Do yourself a favor and remove the insert from the door panel, you will save yourself any odd edges and potential for overspray / damages on the rest of the door panel. Also, I used a Dremel cutter wheel and some patience to remove the plastic welds being careful not to cut off any more than I had to, more or less grinded it down more than cutting when things got close. I'd like to see more of your progress when you get it done. Patience is key, take your time.
Sponsored