R - 22032
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Wait wait wait wait just a sec here.......
Can we please get a FULL understanding of this ?
I want ambient lighting AND door lighting to come on at the same time, when the headlights are activated ONLY. I have the 17 Type R. So what do I need to do to make that happen ?
It looks like 98-0425 installed them per instructions BUT would rather they came on with headlights... and integra15 installed them ?wrong? but ended up with the better setup/configuration ?
Please clarify :)
Integra15, how did you do it differently ? Is it really because you have an Si ?
For us Type R peeps, how do we "adjust" the instructions so that the door lights light up with headlights ?
I've got the door lights on their way, already have ambient lighting kit and console illumination kit and door sill Type R lights. I'm gonna (taking deeeep breath here) try to do them all at one time and I want to be sure I wire them up the way I, and probably many people, would want them.
per the UK Honda accessories site, it says the sill illumination can not be used with the door kit. not sure why. but i might try it. i cant decide if i want to spend $30 on some damn door sills, or just get some texturized black metal ones and move on. but i like you have the console/ambient lighting, and i just finished the door kit. so it seems kinda silly to be cheap in one area, when i already did the OEM stuff on the other 3.
Sponsored

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type-R #12307, 98 Integra Type-R #0425, 07 Pilot EX-L, 17 Pilot Elite
Country flag
I want ambient lighting AND door lighting to come on at the same time, when the headlights are activated ONLY. I have the 17 Type R. So what do I need to do to make that happen ?
It looks like 98-0425 installed them per instructions BUT would rather they came on with headlights... and integra15 installed them ?wrong? but ended up with the better setup/configuration ?
Integra15, how did you do it differently ? Is it really because you have an Si ?
For us Type R peeps, how do we "adjust" the instructions so that the door lights light up with headlights ?
I've got the door lights on their way, already have ambient lighting kit and console illumination kit and door sill Type R lights. I'm gonna (taking deeeep breath here) try to do them all at one time and I want to be sure I wire them up the way I, and probably many people, would want them.
Splice the brown wire to a wire in the door harness that illuminates the window switch.

Number 215

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Changed my mind.....
Someone said the door lights don't turn on when you open the door, but the ambient and console lights do, and that all 3 stay on while driving.
I'm gonna figure out how to have ALL red lights + sill light up when I open the door, and only the sill lights will turn off when I get in. The other 3 will stay on while driving/headlights on.
Confused yet? haha

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Do
Do you have the ambient foot-well lighting installed?
Do you have a voltmeter?

If yes to both, it's easy. For the drivers door, I used the tan wire on the 13 pin harness not the brown one. That on my SI is the illumination + circuit. You can verify that with the voltmeter. For the passenger door, unfortunately there is no illumination circuit (yes I am sure I checked every wire). So you have to follow that part of the instructions and route the + wire through the door into under the glove box. If you have the foot well illumination, you can share/tap the + signal going to the foot well lamp. Then both doors will come on only with either parking lights or headlights.

I think whoever wrote the factory instructions wrote them incorrectly because there are accessory + and ignition on signals in both doors, there would be no purpose to wire the passenger side wire into the cabin when you can get that signal in the door itself. Perhaps the Japanese or other market instructions do it that way, probably never know.

Number 215

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
The plan is to install ALL of them at once. I changed my mind. I'm gonna do all 4 door light kits (2 orders of the door + pocket kit), front door sill badges, ambient, + console lights. I want them ALL to light up when i open door and get in. Once the car is started and I'm driving, I want all to stay lit except door sill badge.
I'll figure it out. I can always just tie them all in to the ambient + console light power source. That should do the trick.
No offense Integra15 and THANK YOU for trying to help, but for peace of mind, I'm not gonna take the advice of someone who has a different model car than me. Yes, it very possibly could be the exact same wiring. I have no idea, but the last thing I want is to get in all this frustrating and time-consuming and stressful install shit and suddenly realize something, somewhere, somehow, got mixed up and it's not working and I have to do it all over again blah blah blah lol. I'll post pics and give advise that I learn along the way for anybody who wants to know. Wish me luuuuuuckkkkk........:):oops::eek::(:confused::thumbsdown::dunno::what::hmm::cry::hmm::hmm::hmm::yes::yes::doh::banghead::coffee::coffee::coffee::yes::yes::):):):):headbang:

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
You're going to have to find the circuit for the dome light illumination / door ajar. Without knowing where to get it you could be spending a lot of time. I had the luxury of having the online Honda wiring schematics and they are pretty hard to make sense of. Good luck.

Number 215

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
You're going to have to find the circuit for the dome light illumination / door ajar. Without knowing where to get it you could be spending a lot of time. I had the luxury of having the online Honda wiring schematics and they are pretty hard to make sense of. Good luck.
I've been told the ambient + console lights stay on while driving. So as long as all other lights get powered from the same source i should be good....i'm assuming. Just splice in, solder it, wrap it up factory-looking, and off we go

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Do

Do you have the ambient foot-well lighting installed?
Do you have a voltmeter?

If yes to both, it's easy. For the drivers door, I used the tan wire on the 13 pin harness not the brown one. That on my SI is the illumination + circuit. You can verify that with the voltmeter. For the passenger door, unfortunately there is no illumination circuit (yes I am sure I checked every wire). So you have to follow that part of the instructions and route the + wire through the door into under the glove box. If you have the foot well illumination, you can share/tap the + signal going to the foot well lamp. Then both doors will come on only with either parking lights or headlights.

I think whoever wrote the factory instructions wrote them incorrectly because there are accessory + and ignition on signals in both doors, there would be no purpose to wire the passenger side wire into the cabin when you can get that signal in the door itself. Perhaps the Japanese or other market instructions do it that way, probably never know.
What color is the wire for the illumination for the ambient lighting.

SpaceJunkie

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5T 2016
Country flag
Great guide. Managed to get it working on my sedan. Love the red lightings on the door handle. It’s very subtle..
Will be installing the red footwell and console illumination to give a total red interior ambient on my FC1.

Honda Civic 10th gen Door  lining illumination install 1857356E-24BB-4C79-8B4C-3FE61BC11484

Honda Civic 10th gen Door  lining illumination install DB83225D-D5E6-48FF-A66F-A31744882976

Honda Civic 10th gen Door  lining illumination install 4521A950-3431-48A9-9098-154DAB813159

Honda Civic 10th gen Door  lining illumination install 59DCE405-7086-4F8E-A73D-E186ED572458

EckotypeR

R - 22032
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
If you are going to try and tap elsewhere than the instructions, i might suggest you just run a wire into the dash on the left side like you will on the right anyways... then you can tap into the accessory harness behind the sc console. The good part is if you are doing ambient lighting and console illumination, you ideally will be tapping into that harness... the stock accessory plug gets plugged into the wiring of one of those kits ( i believe it’s the ambient lighting.). And from that harness is another accessory plug that you now plug into the ac console. I hope that makes sense. All in all what I’m trying to tell you is if you aren’t following the actual install instructions, if you want to tap on that new accessory harness, at least you aren’t experimenting on the factory wiring

Number 215

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
If you are going to try and tap elsewhere than the instructions, i might suggest you just run a wire into the dash on the left side like you will on the right anyways... then you can tap into the accessory harness behind the sc console. The good part is if you are doing ambient lighting and console illumination, you ideally will be tapping into that harness... the stock accessory plug gets plugged into the wiring of one of those kits ( i believe it’s the ambient lighting.). And from that harness is another accessory plug that you now plug into the ac console. I hope that makes sense. All in all what I’m trying to tell you is if you aren’t following the actual install instructions, if you want to tap on that new accessory harness, at least you aren’t experimenting on the factory wiring
Eggggsactly my man. Good thinking !

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So I modified the install to have the door pocket/handle illumination to come on only with the parking/headlight switch on (or auto). OEM instructions say to install it to have it on with the ignition on. By doing this modification, the lights will come on the same as the ambient lighting/console illumination.

20190307_123205.jpg

Passenger side lights - tap the gray wire not the "brown" wire.

20190307_123055.jpg

Driver side lights - tap the tan wire on the window switch plug not the "brown" wire on the mirror control plug. You will need to tap that wire a little further down from the plug to give the accessory wire enough slack (so you can plug into both plugs without issue).

Tap the black wires as per OEM instructions.

Best of all, if you have already installed it per OEM instructions, you don't need to pull off too many parts to get to the original connections. For the driver side, just pop off the driver window switch (no need to pull off the door panel). For the passenger side, just pull off the two side console trim pieces and the climate control.

Last edited:

Number 215

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Wondering if this means you have to replace the fuse(s) to one with higher limits, to allow more amps thru before blowing. Its just a few leds though so I dunno
Sponsored