Door Issue in cold harsh weather

bluegiant1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
Anyone experienced issues with their door becoming ajared (like when you don't close the door with enough force) while driving in very cold, harsh weather? I experienced this with my front passenger side door twice now while on the freeway. The light indicating an open door comes on and the door becomes ajared and you can hear the wind and road noise. My doors auto-lock when I drive so I don't l know how it can become ajared when I don't open the front passenger door. I live in Wisconsin and we have been experiencing extremely harsh and cold weather; around 0°F and -10- -15°F or colder with wind chill.
Sponsored

Aiirik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic hatchback sport WOP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anyone experienced issues with their door becoming ajared (like when you don't close the door with enough force) while driving in very cold, harsh weather? I experienced this with my front passenger side door twice now while on the freeway. The light indicating an open door comes on and the door becomes ajared and you can hear the wind and road noise. My doors auto-lock when I drive so I don't l know how it can become ajared when I don't open the front passenger door. I live in Wisconsin and we have been experiencing extremely harsh and cold weather; around 0°F and -10- -15°F or colder with wind chill.
havent really noticed any issues on my car ( other then my battery going to shit and having to get it replaced) and its been -25C/-35C here with snow every other day.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not in my civicx but yes in a different car some years back. The limit switch would get sticky. I applied a coat of silicone lubricant to free it up. I can't say our cars are the same but it probably is and it worked then. The silicone works well down to low temps and doesn't affect rubber/electronics badly.

I've used thicker silicone grease in other applications to provide both lubrication on fittings that is generally waterproof.

You should see a limit switch in your door.. a button you can push that provides the signal. See that it moves freely and it's working properly. Give it a little lube if it doesn't or is sticky. Cycle it and wipe it down if there's grit in it.

The silicone spray is great stuff. I use it on my wiper blades every few months to clean them and keep away streaks and the lube prevents skipping. I still change then every 1-2 years but they perform much better lubed. Ive used it on a few cars to eliminate suspension squeaks. Its not permanent like the grease, but it'd last for weeks/months.

I have the same can from those years ago. A little goes a long way.

Good luck.

shadowspar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Hatch LX CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've had the same issue happen to me once. More commonly the door not wanting to fully close when it's ridic cold outside. Figured it was the latch lubricant as well, was going to ask the dealer about it next service.

If you can't get the door to fully close when it's cold out, a quick workaround is to roll down the window, then grab onto the sill and use that for extra leverage to pull it closed. :p

Nozomi135

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si (Modern Silver Metallic)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm p!$$ed, got out of work late, got to my Si coupe, doors unlock, but my driver side literally won't open, after messing with it, I had to go all dukes of hazard and climb through the passenger side, trying not to track snow or salt into the car, interior handle is stiff and tab on the inside is stuck, think it's frozen. Wasn't too happy at that moment xD Getting up early as heck tomorrow to figure out what's up with it

Nozomi135

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm p!$$ed, got out of work late, got to my Si coupe, doors unlock, but my driver side literally won't open, after messing with it, I had to go all dukes of hazard and climb through the passenger side, trying not to track snow or salt into the car, interior handle is stiff and tab on the inside is stuck, think it's frozen. Wasn't too happy at that moment xD Getting up early as heck tomorrow to figure out what's up with it
Update, got up this morning and had to take a hairdryer to it, working fine now, don't know how the hell that got iced up but happy to not have to crawl through to get in again :nixon:

fg2kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 1991 Civic DX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update, got up this morning and had to take a hairdryer to it, working fine now, don't know how the hell that got iced up but happy to not have to crawl through to get in again :nixon:
Have you had any more issues with your driver's door? My 19 coupe has the same issues with the driver's door in cold weather - outside handle doesn't work and the inside handle/tab doesn't budge. Of course there was a wall on the passenger side the last time this happened, so I had to crawl through the trunk :confused1:

Last edited:

Nozomi135

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Have you had any more issues with your driver's door? My 19 coupe has the same issues with the driver's door in cold weather - outside handle doesn't work and the inside handle/tab doesn't budge. Of course there was a wall on the passenger side the last time this happened, so I had to crawl through the trunk :confused1:
Thus far my luck has been good, no issues, used lubricant on it and hasn't reoccurred thankfully! I'd of been some ticked if I'd had to climb through the trunk with boots filled with salt and crap! I'd warmed it with a hairdryer and blasted some lubricant in so thinking it was a mix of poor lubrication and moisture building up and freezing

fg2kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 1991 Civic DX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thus far my luck has been good, no issues, used lubricant on it and hasn't reoccurred thankfully! I'd of been some ticked if I'd had to climb through the trunk with boots filled with salt and crap! I'd warmed it with a hairdryer and blasted some lubricant in so thinking it was a mix of poor lubrication and moisture building up and freezing
I'll have to try some 3-in-1 or something. They must have run out of lube when they made our cars.

Glad to hear that's all it took for you! Was not eager about reporting it to the dealer.
Sponsored