Hatchi

First Name
Liam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Prius, 2020 BBP CTR
Country flag
Damn people really upset about it. At the end of the day our car would pull on the sonata in second and third pretty much without a doubt, but get smoked out the gate bc of the slipping in first/second. The people racing the N-Line's will be the 2.0t accords, let them have that heat. We're here for some other shit, our cars are FWD UFO's ?
Sponsored

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
I'll give credit to where credit is due. Yea it's not gonna be beating track records but for a DD it's got potential. Way, way more range than the CTR too.

Damn people really upset about it. At the end of the day our car would pull on the sonata in second and third pretty much without a doubt, but get smoked out the gate bc of the slipping in first/second. The people racing the N-Line's will be the 2.0t accords, let them have that heat. We're here for some other shit, our cars are FWD UFO's ?

there are tests on youtube against the TLX and Accord. Sonata beats them both handily when not using their buggy launch control.

BrokeCTROwner

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 1999 K20 Integra
Country flag
If anything has torque steer, and is a FWD car - I don't care at all about it regardless of how fast it is.

The ONLY reason I am here sack riding this car so hard and buying one after making the mistake of test driving it, is BECAUSE it has no torque steer. If this thing had that I'd have laughed at it and left the dealership.

So I don't EVER care about numbers or 0-60 times. Hit me up after the tow truck pulls you out of a ditch when you try and follow my line thanks.
My old 02 v6 Altima had a ton of torque steer... I kinda miss it

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
As noted above, chasing numbers is a fool's game. There is always something with more power, more torque, better acceleration times, better trap times, better braking numbers. Most of these numbers are totally, utterly meaningless, given that they usually get generated through artificial and esoteric testing cycles that resemble your daily driving about as much as Slipknot resembles Taylor Swift.

Even when the numbers are spot-on, they're just that, numbers. If your primary metric for whether you enjoy your car is whether it can put up bigger (or smaller) numbers than the next car, you will never be satisfied. From my own experience, I've learned the hard way (hard as in having spent way too much money) that the cars I truly enjoy are very rarely the cars that top the charts in the big numbers categories.

Litfuse

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered CTR
Country flag
As noted above, chasing numbers is a fool's game. There is always something with more power, more torque, better acceleration times, better trap times, better braking numbers. Most of these numbers are totally, utterly meaningless, given that they usually get generated through artificial and esoteric testing cycles that resemble your daily driving about as much as Slipknot resembles Taylor Swift.

Even when the numbers are spot-on, they're just that, numbers. If your primary metric for whether you enjoy your car is whether it can put up bigger (or smaller) numbers than the next car, you will never be satisfied. From my own experience, I've learned the hard way (hard as in having spent way too much money) that the cars I truly enjoy are very rarely the cars that top the charts in the big numbers categories.
I may have been the biggest fool of them all in the 2000s. I had every new hot car that came out. Chasing numbers and never satisfied. I continued my ways over the last ten years as well. Not chasing numbers as much as just changing up my cars. I got bored very easy. Before buying my CTR and my new Miata, I was looking at new GT350s, ZL1s, Supra and several more. Their performance undeniably surpassed both my new purchases, but I didn’t connect with the cars. I know there are many people who adore these cars. You have to find what tickles your fancy. What gives you the best experience. You can’t find this reading magazines or watching YouTube reviews.
I had the chance to take out my new CTR for a drive yesterday quickly followed by a drive in my Miata. For the fun factor, the CTR can’t hold a candle to the Miata. But that’s my opinion. The sensation I get from driving the Miata won’t be found in the numbers. The Miata is one of the few cars left where the evolution of performance hasn’t been numbed by the level of refinement. Cars today are more efficient, better performing but unfortunately numb at times.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
My old 02 v6 Altima had a ton of torque steer... I kinda miss it
Man the idea of pushing hard into a turn and having to deal with torque steer on top of it sounds....scary lol. I get that it's an interesting feeling, it was entertaining in the off the line aspect in the modified Tiguan I had / GTi, but undesireable when powering out of a turn as it feels like the car wants to dart away from the turn, very unsettling to me.

That's what makes the Type R so great imo.

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
I had the chance to take out my new CTR for a drive yesterday quickly followed by a drive in my Miata. For the fun factor, the CTR can’t hold a candle to the Miata. But that’s my opinion. The sensation I get from driving the Miata won’t be found in the numbers. The Miata is one of the few cars left where the evolution of performance hasn’t been numbed by the level of refinement. Cars today are more efficient, better performing but unfortunately numb at times.
I always wanted a Miata, as everyone I've ever known who drives one raves about them. But one, I hate convertible, and two, I live where neither a convertible nor RWD is feasible for a year-round DD. As I get ready to head to the gym this morning, there are already 8" of snow on the ground and its still snowing hard. Luckily the plow guy did the driveway; now if I can get out and back before the town plow blocks my driveway with the Great Wall of Snow.

MorrisGray

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazda3 5sp manual, 2012 Genesis sedan
Country flag
Sorry to ask here but since numbers were posted for 0-60 and 5(?) mph roll to 60 mph...
How is it that the roll on times are slower than the dead start times? Why is this?

MisterC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Neon SRT4, 2014 Hyundai Elantra, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Because it's a dumb bad clickbait test made to make people mad, with no internal consistency based on a totally dumb, fake on it's face pretense.

They are ass pulling numbers so salty fanboys who love or hate the cars involved will click and argue.

We all know the sonata N is not anything close to a type R.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
Because it's a dumb bad clickbait test made to make people mad, with no internal consistency based on a totally dumb, fake on it's face pretense.

They are ass pulling numbers so salty fanboys who love or hate the cars involved will click and argue.

We all know the sonata N is not anything close to a type R.
Seems like it's working. Lol

OP
OP

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
Oh wow did OP even do any research on their site? He’s just wrong, simple as that. Close race but they literally made a fastest FWD list and the type r is ahead so is the GP
.2 and 2 mph faster in the 1/4 too

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g22025438/fastest-front-wheel-drive-cars/
Another person with poor reading comprehension. The fist post clearly states that the 0-60 is faster on the R. The 5-60 is WAY slower though. That’s the key takeaway. The Sonata has a very strong trap speed in the 1/4 as well.

polishedmetalctr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Country flag
Another person with poor reading comprehension. The fist post clearly states that the 0-60 is faster on the R. The 5-60 is WAY slower though. That’s the key takeaway. The Sonata has a very strong trap speed in the 1/4 as well.
Read the article they made above. It clearly says 4.9 for the Type R, 5.0 for the Sonata.

Last edited:

Charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No, the Sonata N line is not even close to the Type R in acceleration. The Sonata is nearly 500 pounds heavier and has less power.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people don't understand power to weight ratio.

The Type R has proven time and time again that it will do a 4.9 second 0-60 if the launch is done right.

Type R would demolish it by an even wider margin in a roll race.
Plus the top speeds are vastly different. Did the Sonata cheat by providing shorter gearing overall?
Sponsored