Don't Drag Race a Sonata N-Line

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
If anything has torque steer, and is a FWD car - I don't care at all about it regardless of how fast it is.

The ONLY reason I am here sack riding this car so hard and buying one after making the mistake of test driving it, is BECAUSE it has no torque steer. If this thing had that I'd have laughed at it and left the dealership.

So I don't EVER care about numbers or 0-60 times. Hit me up after the tow truck pulls you out of a ditch when you try and follow my line thanks.
Sponsored

Litfuse

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered CTR
Country flag
Watch the video released today by Savagegeese. It has all your answers.

OP
OP

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
If anything has torque steer, and is a FWD car - I don't care at all about it regardless of how fast it is.

The ONLY reason I am here sack riding this car so hard and buying one after making the mistake of test driving it, is BECAUSE it has no torque steer. If this thing had that I'd have laughed at it and left the dealership.

So I don't EVER care about numbers or 0-60 times. Hit me up after the tow truck pulls you out of a ditch when you try and follow my line thanks.
I’m with you on this one. I still have PTSD from the torque steer on my first generation Mazdaspeed 3. I actually broke the front right suspension once because it wasn’t prepared for it and it pulled me off the edge of the asphalt.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I’m with you on this one. I still have PTSD from the torque steer on my first generation Mazdaspeed 3. I actually broke the front right suspension once because it wasn’t prepared for it and it pulled me off the edge of the asphalt.
Cut teeth on my wife's VW Tiguan with the 2.0 Turbo / a GTi she had at one point. Hard pass for me dirving that on the regular - felt like you're fighting, and losing, control while accelerating in a bad way. When I drove the Type R I was in love at first drive because that was removed and I wasn't looking for a stoplight monster.

Been there.

Done that.

This thing excels at 2nd gear onwards - and anyone I've suggested drive it I say that exact thing - ignore first gear - get smoked by that minivan don't worry about it - ok roll into it second and then keep the hammer down - and you have an instant fan of anyone that knows anything about cars.

0-60 is such an outdated metric. I'd rather they had 'speed through this realistic stretch of road' - if that was my goal the Type R would be last on my list and then some.

Play to the strengths and only give a crap about the strengths imo - and when you do - you quickly realize you have a supercar in civic clothing - the things it can do LOL.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Last edited:

SiR

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, 2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a34758656/2021-hyundai-sonata-n-line-drive/

The 5-60 time is 5.2 seconds, making it the fastest FWD car they've ever tested. Faster than the CTR and the new Mini GP. 0-60 is a dead heat, but that's one quick car. Of course, the CTR will be far quicker through a corner, but in real world acceleration the Sonata is quicker.
You do realized that most people mod their Rs right? Even with a basemap tune the type R will take it

Besides, I don't even drag race with my R, how about we compare some track time.

completely different car with different purpose. and the 0-60 is the least I care about

OP
OP

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You do realized that most people mod their Rs right? Even with a basemap tune the type R will take it

Besides, I don't even drag race with my R, how about we compare some track time.

completely different car with different purpose. and the 0-60 is the least I care about
Define most people. Mine is stock and will stay that way. Everyone knows the R isn’t a drag car. I never said otherwise.

SiR

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, 2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Define most people. Mine is stock and will stay that way. Everyone knows the R isn’t a drag car. I never said otherwise.
Most people? everyone I know who drives a Type R, at the moment more than 10, have at least a basemap tune, or at most Full bolt on with aroughly 400whp. Oh, there is one exception, a stock R driven by a dealership manager, because they still need to sell it later.

Or let's say we all drive stock, and the Sonata is 0.3 second fast 0-60, and? There are tons of cars that are little bit faster than a R on paper, and....? It's not like on the street when a R sees a Sonata and it's a auto drag race. What are you trying to tell people? It's like I post a thread about the Tesla 3 is faster than R 0-60, pointless right.

OP
OP

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Most people? everyone I know who drives a Type R, at the moment more than 10, have at least a basemap tune, or at most Full bolt on with aroughly 400whp. Oh, there is one exception, a stock R driven by a dealership manager, because they still need to sell it later.

Or let's say we all drive stock, and the Sonata is 0.3 second fast 0-60, and? There are tons of cars that are little bit faster than a R on paper, and....? It's not like on the street when a R sees a Sonata and it's a auto drag race. What are you trying to tell people? It's like I post a thread about the Tesla 3 is faster than R 0-60, pointless right.
I just found it on interesting. Everyone expects a Tesla to be faster. I would have been surprised by this Sonata if I hadn’t read the article. It’s a big step forward in speed for cars in that class. Didn’t mean to strike a nerve.

Check out the autocross thread. There are a LOT of us staying stock and running in street class.

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
Well let’s see the road course numbers. Let’s see how the “always faster” time looks like. Same talk from the S5, S4 guys and the R handles that crowd no problem. The S4/S5 is much faster than the Sonata on paper by a considerable amount. Even the Kia stinger had a DNF in one of the mags (if we’re mag swimming).

If I wanted a drag queen I’d get a model 3. Gear up on that! See how much mod money you’d have to spend on the Sonata to keep up.

Honestly on track I hear a 3 properly set up it will smoke some cars but it just won’t last long (battery), which is fine for a track day.

MisterC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Neon SRT4, 2014 Hyundai Elantra, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
If you wanna be drag racing a fwd car go buy one of the last srt4 or turbo cobalts left, that is not why the type R exists.

We're talking about a car that grinds into 2nd if you shift as fast as you can here.

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
I also want to preface by saying before the R I was going to go back into an S2K. That car is the poster child for the whole “looks fast” is slow but drives great! Driving dynamics matter and the R is a pleasure to drive.
There are even older cars that I’m sure the accord would smoke but would never be close in driving dynamics. I.e older Porsches, S2K, M3. Even an older f355 would have close 0-60 (not 1/4 mi tho), but yeah compare the driving dynamics! Lol The f355 is a dream to drive. Even an older Testarossa has an incredible experience that no family sedan can match. Yea is an run of the mill mid level BMW 550 faster to 60? Sure but it would be the most boring drive and I’d be day dreaming of the other cars.

OP
OP

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well let’s see the road course numbers. Let’s see how the “always faster” time looks like. Same talk from the S5, S4 guys and the R handles that crowd no problem. The S4/S5 is much faster than the Sonata on paper by a considerable amount. Even the Kia stinger had a DNF in one of the mags (if we’re mag swimming).

If I wanted a drag queen I’d get a model 3. Gear up on that! See how much mod money you’d have to spend on the Sonata to keep up.

Honestly on track I hear a 3 properly set up it will smoke some cars but it just won’t last long (battery), which is fine for a track day.
I’m not under any illusions that it won’t be slower around a track. It’s not a track car.
Sponsored