Don't break your windshield or you are screwed

MichaelC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
Latest update is no news as to when a windshield will be available. Called the dealer I bought car from to sell it back to them as is and sales manager told me to give him a shot to get a windshield in. He is trying to get Honda to pull a windshield off production line.
I was at Safelite this morning to have a small chip repaired, and I asked the manager about 2016 Civic windshields... said they had 2 in stock at their warehouse (I think he said $380, which sounds a bit high for aftermarket). He did say that the moldings would have to be ordered from Honda if they could not be reused, and also that cars with sensing would need a different windshield, which they didn't have yet.
Sponsored

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
I was at Safelite this morning to have a small chip repaired, and I asked the manager about 2016 Civic windshields... said they had 2 in stock at their warehouse (I think he said $380, which sounds a bit high for aftermarket). He did say that the moldings would have to be ordered from Honda if they could not be reused, and also that cars with sensing would need a different windshield, which they didn't have yet.
The aftermarket glass Safelite put in my car years ago was very wavy.

MichaelC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The aftermarket glass Safelite put in my car years ago was very wavy.
Now that you mention it, I recall hearing this exact same thing several years ago from an acquaintance (friend of a relative) who is in the auto glass business. Of course, I suppose it's better than nothing if you're desperate!

ravensword21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T WOP
Just cracked my windshield last Wednesday and made an appt with Safelite for July 25. Hopefully they'll have one in stock for my car then :confused1:

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
Just cracked my windshield last Wednesday and made an appt with Safelite for July 25. Hopefully they'll have one in stock for my car then :confused1:
How did you crack the windshield?

ravensword21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T WOP
How did you crack the windshield?
Driving on I-75 a semi kicked up a rock. Hit the lower left windshield. It didn't crawl at first but the next couple of days it crawled halfway up the middle of the windshield :banghead:

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
Isn't the rear view mirror attached to the windshield now? If so, another bad thing about replacing the windshield is reglueing the mirror never holds as well as the factory process. And if that is true, that's really dumb on Honda. On the 7th gen, it was bolted to the ceiling, so no worries.

I would think twice about Safelite. It's not just me. You can read where many people have had problems with them.

careerdeath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Howdy, I'm new here.

Purchased 2016 Civic Touring sedan in late April. Rock hit windshield in mid-May. I went through my insurance and it was replaced right away with new Honda factory glass. Last Sunday I noticed another crack developing, so I had the installers take a look at it and they say there is a "point of impact" near the top of the windshield which is barely visible - just a pinhead. In any case, I've made 2 payments on the car and it's already gone through 2 windshields. I haven't tried to order a new one yet because I'm planning on disputing the determination that this crack was caused by an object hitting the windshield, so I don't know if a new windshield is available in my area or not. Interesting what some of you are saying about perhaps Honda developing new, stronger windshields.

Anyway, I'm bummed.

OP
OP

jtpc2007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Update: Sales manager at my dealer offered to store the civic and give me a loaner until windshield comes in. I said that works but I am moving out of state at the end of July. He made more calls and was told that they probably will not have a windshield in by then (making this over 2 months without one) so he offered a very generous trade and gave me an amazing deal on a new Honda Fit (or civic if I wanted to risk another). So I took the deal and now have a passion Berry pearl Fit EX (Japanese vin, not Mexico). Had he not done this, I was going to end up changing brands. Honda dropped the ball and never did anything to make it right even when this case got elevated up the chain. Thankful for my sales manager and dealer (Honda of bartlesville, Okla), but scarred from this ordeal with the 2016 civic. Very odd.

MichaelC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Update: Sales manager at my dealer offered to store the civic and give me a loaner until windshield comes in. I said that works but I am moving out of state at the end of July. He made more calls and was told that they probably will not have a windshield in by then (making this over 2 months without one) so he offered a very generous trade and gave me an amazing deal on a new Honda Fit (or civic if I wanted to risk another). So I took the deal and now have a passion Berry pearl Fit EX (Japanese vin, not Mexico). Had he not done this, I was going to end up changing brands. Honda dropped the ball and never did anything to make it right even when this case got elevated up the chain. Thankful for my sales manager and dealer (Honda of bartlesville, Okla), but scarred from this ordeal with the 2016 civic. Very odd.
Is the lesson here, "don't buy the first year of a new generation of car"? I'm sure next year there will be plenty of Civic windshields available (OEM, and third-party).

OP
OP

jtpc2007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Is the lesson here, "don't buy the first year of a new generation of car"? I'm sure next year there will be plenty of Civic windshields available (OEM, and third-party).
I guess so. The civic has been out long enough here that a windshield should be available somewhere. I still don't think it is acceptable. Again, safelite had no means to get me an aftermarket or Honda brand one (and trust me, they tried), Two dealers couldn't expedite the backorder, and Honda themselves couldn't pull one for me. So yeah, maybe it's bad timing, but again, I waited a month and it was going on to another month's wait, so just isn't acceptable for a civic by Honda.

MichaelC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I guess so. The civic has been out long enough here that a windshield should be available somewhere. I still don't think it is acceptable. Again, safelite had no means to get me an aftermarket or Honda brand one (and trust me, they tried), Two dealers couldn't expedite the backorder, and Honda themselves couldn't pull one for me. So yeah, maybe it's bad timing, but again, I waited a month and it was going on to another month's wait, so just isn't acceptable for a civic by Honda.
Given the fact that windshields are such a vulnerable part of the car, I would think that they'd be smart enough to immediately distribute an appropriate number of replacements to regional distribution centers as soon as production began. Yeah, I know their focus is on cranking out as many of these popular cars as they can, but you would think they'd realize that having a car sidelined for months while waiting for what should be a commonly available part is unacceptable and will result in a poor customer experience. At least your dealer stepped up and helped provide a solution, but I'm disappointed that Honda ignored the issue.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
FYI, I've been doing some reading since I have a quarter sized star on my truck's windshield. I'm going to just fix it myself, since even though filing a claim doesn't raise your rates, it does go on your CLUE report, and some people have been dropped after just a couple windshield claims. Also it can make it hard to switch carriers, since they can see that report and see you as a high risk. Some people even suggest paying for a new windshield when necessary, instead of filing. Of course it depends on the cost, since they vary a lot. $200 windshield? I'd pay. $1000 windshield? I think I'd file.

Also noticed this (once example among many):
https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/arcmessageview.php?catid=52&threadid=1357077
Safelite sucks and they don't tell you that some insurance (like State Farm) does not pay for windshield repair until they show up.
I would find a local shop with good review to do it. Safelite wasted 2 hours of my time, having ME deal with my insurance and they did a poor job as well.
Avoid Safelite at all costs! I used them in February for a windshield crack (my insurance carrier actually has a special "glass" program and when you call the number, it connectes to Safelite Solutions - their preferred provider). I went with them because my deductible was only $50 if replaced and $0 if repaired.
Work was crappy and they damaged my car (too much to explain here, but scratched paint was just the beginning). They actually had to reinstall the windshield and caused even more damage during that process.
It is now April and I am still fighting with Safelite due to damage done to my vehicle and trying to reach a settlement offer
Also note that if your glass is OEM then it is far higher quality than the replacement glass that repair shops use (looking at you Safelight, but others as well) and so getting the star repaired is preferable even if it leaves a scar... Cheap glass results in minute scratches over time, sometime even shows wear from windshield wipers, and makes for terrible visibility at night. It might look good at first but will not last like OEM. Safelight is a franchise and the quality of their work varies greatly from store to store. Check Yelp for reviews of your local stores and be sure to check the section of 'hidden' reviews that Yelp has deemed inappropriate as most of the honest reviews are found there.