Don't break your windshield or you are screwed

Ajax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Rallye Red
I have a crack that spead all the way across the windshield. Every place I have called has said OEM windshields for the Touring Models are on back order until early to mid-July. I've never seen a windshield that was so suspectible to rock chips, even before I got the crack. My guess is Honda realized the general hardness of the glass wasn't up to par, and is in the process of a redesign and the existing stock of "old" spares is depleted. We'll see what the next couples brings.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
I only noticed the bubble today while looking at the floppy wipers! Wonder how well 'regular' wipers would work...

FedCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Honda Civic LX 2.0l 6spd
Country flag
$435 for OEM isn't bad at all, even if you didn't use the insurance. I thought I read were someone had said it was like $1600 or so.
You can order glass right from the manufacturer? Always thought if glass breaks you gotta go aftermarket.

izzyC-EX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' BBP Type-R/20'MX-5, Recaro, Brembo, Bose/19' GLC63 Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The new honda civic windshields in my opinion are very thin. My wife drives it and had a couple of small debri hit the glass and created small cracks. Windshields should be able withstand such small impacts. Safelite was able to repair it for now but on top of that they dripped some of the repair glue on top of my hood -but thats another issue.

lamichlein

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Cosmic Blue Touring
Country flag
Because some people are not mechanically inclined enough to do it. And that's okay. Nothing wrong with that.

It's funny though, because those same people are probably the ones posting reference links, or quoting us statistics about how we better follow certain guidelines or our engine will explode. :)
$435 for OEM isn't bad at all, even if you didn't use the insurance. I thought I read were someone had said it was like $1600 or so.
I was told by my service people that the windshield has a green tint to it that is special or the technology. You can get a"regular" windshield but some of the automatic technology will not work.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 4D Canadian Model
Country flag
Got a beautiful small chip in the very top left corner on saturday, by monday morning a crack appeared and it was too big to repair -__-

And no oem nor aftermarket windshield till september. It kinda sucks to own such a brand new car lol

Seeing how many of us already have cracked windshields already, they seems to be really really cheap made

Honda Civic 10th gen Don't break your windshield or you are screwed 20160627_074554

TabsAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
I had an object fall off a truck and hit my EX windshield 3 months after I bought it. Took a week to get the OEM Honda replacement, insurance covered it in full.

mims80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
rock chipped my windshield less than 2 months of owning the car. Was late at night, heard it hit my windshield, tried to look for it and couldn't find it BUT it was quite visible the next morning when I went to work. FML! Had that thing filled before it could crack. All of my cars had chips in it, and I knew it was bound to happen to this one but I didn't think it would happen so soon. :) So with 6 months of owning the car I've had a rock chip my windshield, big rig kick up a nice piece of particle board and hit my lower right bumper, and a small dent on my left front bumper due to an old lady opening her door too quick. *sighs*

skittles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport and 2013 370Z sport
Vehicle Showcase
Busted one of the clips when taking grill off so needs new one to realign and one dealer close to me said 3 month back order on clip I need..so will contact the dealer I bought at. So ridiciculous.:confused:

skittles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport and 2013 370Z sport
Vehicle Showcase
rock chipped my windshield less than 2 months of owning the car. Was late at night, heard it hit my windshield, tried to look for it and couldn't find it BUT it was quite visible the next morning when I went to work. FML! Had that thing filled before it could crack. All of my cars had chips in it, and I knew it was bound to happen to this one but I didn't think it would happen so soon. :) So with 6 months of owning the car I've had a rock chip my windshield, big rig kick up a nice piece of particle board and hit my lower right bumper, and a small dent on my left front bumper due to an old lady opening her door too quick. *sighs*
Gee sorry:confused:

OP
OP

jtpc2007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Latest update is no news as to when a windshield will be available. Called the dealer I bought car from to sell it back to them as is and sales manager told me to give him a shot to get a windshield in. He is trying to get Honda to pull a windshield off production line. No word yet if they will do it. Left another message with my case manager at Honda customer service and she never called back (after over a week and two messages later).
I may have to take a big hit and sell it back at a loss.
Spent the last week going to dealers test driving alternatives.

izzyC-EX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' BBP Type-R/20'MX-5, Recaro, Brembo, Bose/19' GLC63 Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So Civic/Honda not only has thin paint, but thin windshields as well? Surprising considering their crash ratings.

FYI, I've had a terrible time dealing with Safelite years ago.
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/safelite-autoglass.html
When safelite repaired my windshield they dripped some of the glue material used to repair on top of my hood. No one notice due to its transparent material until I washed the car myself and notice the dripped pattern. I could not get it off on my own and now I'm currently making arrangements with them to fix. Hopefully there bodyshop can correct it without furthwr damage.
Sponsored