Doing a roundtrip 2,600 mile run with 30% oil life left

ricky_vato

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI, 2012 Crosstour
So, going from L.A. to Seattle this Wednesday. 19 hour drive, 1300 miles one-way. With 30% oil life left, should I get my oil changed now, or wait till I get back?
Sponsored

Lagos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
It doesn't really matter all that much but I would just change it before the trip.

yyalb

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 gen Civic Si
Country flag
So, going from L.A. to Seattle this Wednesday. 19 hour drive, 1300 miles one-way. With 30% oil life left, should I get my oil changed now, or wait till I get back?
IMO, you should get it changed now.
At 13k miles, just finished my 3rd oil change with duration of 4100 miles, with 50% of oil life from MM. I'd say right after the oil change the engine feels way better than before. It was reluctant to rev up and feels jerky between shifts before the oil change. After that, the engine is much more responsive and feels much smoother. The jerky feel also disappeared. It seeems to me the OEM honda sythetic blend oil cannot hold up this long.

OP
OP

ricky_vato

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IMO, you should get it changed now.
At 13k miles, just finished my 3rd oil change with duration of 4100 miles, with 50% of oil life from MM. I'd say right after the oil change the engine feels way better than before. It was reluctant to rev up and feels jerky between shifts before the oil change. After that, the engine is much more responsive and feels much smoother. The jerky feel also disappeared. It seeems to me the OEM honda sythetic blend oil cannot hold up this long.
Thank you and Lagos for the replies. I spoke to Honda and they said since the minder comes on at 15%, it is better to replace the oil now than later. So, made an appointment for Tuesday.

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2012 Honda Accord LX-P
Country flag
I'm at 12k miles and I only changed the oil once, and presently I'm at 20%

How did you guys change oil 3x already at 13k?

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you and Lagos for the replies. I spoke to Honda and they said since the minder comes on at 15%, it is better to replace the oil now than later. So, made an appointment for Tuesday.
Not a bad choice. I do see 750-1000 miles per 10% on the MM between 3 Honda's including the 10th gen Civic historically. Either way is fine... even if you were closer to 21% vs 30. Too often is better than not often enough (ie, going through 0% and living with it).

augustus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatch EX Lunar Silver
Country flag
you won't go wrong doing it now, but I'd do it after the trip. Have a fun trip!

OP
OP

ricky_vato

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
you won't go wrong doing it now, but I'd do it after the trip. Have a fun trip!
Great idea to change when I get back. Makes sense.

I really do not want to take the SI on this trip as I baby it and keep it showroom all the time, but it is a last minute trip to see a dying musician friend I haven't seen in over 35 years. I couldn't find him unitl now and he is dying. I want to present to him his original bass guitar he gave me over 30 years ago that was NEVER played in all this time. I have other cars, but I do not trust them for this long trip. My Si is 7 months old with 2K miles on it. The other original band members can't make it due to time, finances or distance.

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
Great idea to change when I get back. Makes sense.

I really do not want to take the SI on this trip as I baby it and keep it showroom all the time, but it is a last minute trip to see a dying musician friend I haven't seen in over 35 years. I couldn't find him unitl now and he is dying. I want to present to him his original bass guitar he gave me over 30 years ago that was NEVER played in all this time. I have other cars, but I do not trust them for this long trip. My Si is 7 months old with 2K miles on it. The other original band members can't make it due to time, finances or distance.
I'm sorry to hear about your friend, very nice of you to visit him before he passes. If I was babying my car instead of using it as a daily driver I'd do an oil change before and after the trip because it really seems like you enjoy taking care of this car in primo condition.
Sponsored