Does your SI make this whistling/whining noise when accelerating?

Does your SI make this whining/whistling noise when accelerating?

• Total voters

fretcrazy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ABM Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I also don't hear anything abnormal. I hear the turbo 'whine' as it spools up then the compressor winding down as you let off the throttle and the wastegate opens. Sounds like you still have the stock intake, yeah?

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I also don't hear anything abnormal. I hear the turbo 'whine' as it spools up then the compressor winding down as you let off the throttle and the wastegate opens. Sounds like you still have the stock intake, yeah?
Yep. I just took it to the dealer today, and they mentioned that this is the normal turbo sound. Not sure why it seems to have become more prominent in the last few months, but I'm satisfied with their explanation in the face of the the almost unanimous feedback on this forum.

10gCiViC

British Columbia Guru
First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si / 1972 Gran Torino 351CJ-4V
The whine I hear is gear whine (they are 4.11:1's you know) unless I am not hearing something else...

fretcrazy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ABM Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The whine I hear is gear whine (they are 4.11:1's you know) unless I am not hearing something else...
I actually didn’t know the gearing size. Another reason I love this forum, always learning something new!

fretcrazy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ABM Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yep. I just took it to the dealer today, and they mentioned that this is the normal turbo sound. Not sure why it seems to have become more prominent in the last few months, but I'm satisfied with their explanation in the face of the the almost unanimous feedback on this forum.
As engine breaks in and things settle it will start to sound more refined. If you add a CAI/SRI that ‘whine’ will change to turbo spool noise & you will be forever satisfied. It’s a damn symphony to my ears with the CAI :)

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
As engine breaks in and things settle it will start to sound more refined. If you add a CAI/SRI that ‘whine’ will change to turbo spool noise & you will be forever satisfied. It’s a damn symphony to my ears with the CAI :)
Yeah, waiting on the PRL short ram. Was almost convinced to go with a CAI, until all of that northeast snow melted and every street in my area flooded. Not worth the risk.

10gCiViC

British Columbia Guru
First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si / 1972 Gran Torino 351CJ-4V
I hear an occasional fast sounding whine when slowing my car down, sounds like a very fast paced futuristic sound. Tonight I heard it many times during stop and go traffic. My theory is some kind of pump to cool the turbo ? I know my old turbo'd car did this when I turned off the car.

Last edited:

jmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe, 2016 RAM QC 4x4, 2016 Dart Rallye
Country flag
Yes turbo spool is a good thing. I wish it was louder in 3rd and 4th gear as it sounds in 1st and 2nd.....louder is better. lol

HondadSi

First Name
austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Hey guys! My 2018 civic si just started making a loud whistling or whining noise. Did anyone find out for sure what is was? Its a really annoying sound. I notice it in neutral, 1st, and 2nd when accelerating and decelerating.

X_Gen_Si

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic Si
Country flag
Yes I hear it too in my 2018 si sedan.
And it's only when I have my AC on..
And it is annoying I have to put volume up so I will not hear that damn noise......

HondadSi

First Name
austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Another thread post said it was a bad a.c. expansion valve
Sponsored