das borgen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E36 M3, Ducati 748, '17 EGP Si Coupe
Country flag
I applaud you - it's important to have dreams. No matter how unrealistic.
As an FYI, CVTs were banned from most racing because they're too good. You can hold peak torque and just vary continuously your gearing to put max power down the most efficiently (best gas mileage); all while not having to wait for a shift to finish before continuing to put power down. That's a triple-win there.

The CVT in the Civics obviously isn't strong enough for more power, but by concept, I'd take a CVT for racing any day over any other transmission
Sponsored

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
The CVT in the Civics obviously isn't strong enough for more power, but by concept, I'd take a CVT for racing any day over any other transmission
What kind of racing? With the Civic Si, youre gonna be slow one way or another. You minus will increase the fun factor and stay with manual.

das borgen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E36 M3, Ducati 748, '17 EGP Si Coupe
Country flag
What kind of racing? With the Civic Si, youre gonna be slow one way or another. You minus will increase the fun factor and stay with manual.
It doesn't matter the form of racing. Faster = better.
But to answer your question, I'd take a CVT over a manual for road racing, drag racing, autocrossing, hill climb racing, rallying, etc

Formula 1, World Endurance Championship both banned CVTs because they were too good

OP
OP
BoostedSiCoupe

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
cvt = faster than manual
cvt =/= funner than manual

Deleted member

A Slushbox that can beat your manual any day, any time
They will eventually be able to make self driving race cars that will be faster than Schumacher was. Like CVT, it would be incredibly boring compared to the real thing.

A car that never had any intention of being a fun to drive car but has a stick shift will always be more fun to drive than a fast CVT car.

Last edited by a moderator:

luispe7

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
@davemarco I have Acuity shifter base bushings, centering spring, and cable bushings installed but I'm not impressed by their performance. It does feel more solid and notchier if anything but I was trying to get rid of the crunch you get in 2nd gear especially. Do you think the Alta cable lockdown will eliminate this? if so, how much is their price? i went to their website and they don't have a price listed for it. Is there any other brand besides Alta that makes this?

MGZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, Previously 2016 EX-L (50k miles)
Country flag
I think it was around $72 + shipping. Total came to $92. Customer service was great, had an issue with the first lockdown they sent me and they sent a new one pretty quickly.

The alta piece will solve the issue 90% of the time and significantly dulls the crunchiness when it does happen. Other route would probably be what acuity did which involves drilling through your shifter assembly and securing the cable housing with zip ties

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
@davemarco I have Acuity shifter base bushings, centering spring, and cable bushings installed but I'm not impressed by their performance. It does feel more solid and notchier if anything but I was trying to get rid of the crunch you get in 2nd gear especially. Do you think the Alta cable lockdown will eliminate this? if so, how much is their price? i went to their website and they don't have a price listed for it. Is there any other brand besides Alta that makes this?
I think that the Alta lockdown was $70. Not sure how much it helped, now that it's been a while. I can say that installing the Type R shifter assembly, the bushings, the heavier Type R knob, and the lockdown together have given me the best version of the shifter yet. The crunch is still there, but it's different now. Maybe it's the shorter throw, but it feels like more of a notchy rumble at the end range of 2nd and 4th now. The frequency of perfect buttery shifts has gone up as well - I only get rumbly 2nd gear shifts if I pull diagonally. If I deliberately pull straight, it's perfectly smooth.

At this point, I think that the tendency for "crunch" or "rumble" when not shifting perfectly in a straight line is a function of the shifter cables themselves. The combo that I have is a pretty good compromise though.

OP
OP
BoostedSiCoupe

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
does anyone else have issues with downshifts into 2nd, especially when hell toeing into 2nd?

almost since ive had it it has been notchy downshifting into 2nd, and i can feel the synchro spinning still if i down shift at 3500+

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No issues downshifting into second.

FYI all - I removed my Alta lockdown and the Type R knob in preparation for getting a Type R (when I locate one at MSRP, I wanted to be ready to go). I left on the Type R shifter assembly and all the Acuity bushings. With just the loss of the heavier knob and the Alta lockdown, my shifter got insanely crunchy again.

In summary: for anyone just looking to remove crunch, don't bother with the Acuity parts. Instead, get a heavy shift knob and the Alta lockdown.

OP
OP
BoostedSiCoupe

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
No issues downshifting into second.

FYI all - I removed my Alta lockdown and the Type R knob in preparation for getting a Type R (when I locate one at MSRP, I wanted to be ready to go). I left on the Type R shifter assembly and all the Acuity bushings. With just the loss of the heavier knob and the Alta lockdown, my shifter got insanely crunchy again.

In summary: for anyone just looking to remove crunch, don't bother with the Acuity parts. Instead, get a heavy shift knob and the Alta lockdown.

wait.... the alta lockdown cable reduced notchyness? not just the double clicks into the even gears as it was designed to do?

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
wait.... the alta lockdown cable reduced notchyness? not just the double clicks into the even gears as it was designed to do?
The Alta and the heavier knob together reduced crunchiness. As in, pulling for 2nd felt like pulling into a bag of gravel. Shifts slotted more precisely into gear. I didn't have a short shift kit, so I never had a double click.

OP
OP
BoostedSiCoupe

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
The Alta and the heavier knob together reduced crunchiness. As in, pulling for 2nd felt like pulling into a bag of gravel. Shifts slotted more precisely into gear. I didn't have a short shift kit, so I never had a double click.
a lot of us who experience the double click dont have the short shift kit.

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Nope, but sometimes my shifter comes out of 2nd when shifting into and my gears grind hard lol

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
a lot of us who experience the double click dont have the short shift kit.
The double click, as described by Pawwining, was specific to short shift kits. It sounds like you're describing the even gear crunch that a lot of SI owners are getting when stock.
Sponsored