Sponsored

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
More details. I have rough shifts into 2 and 4 depending on what "angle" I slide the lever into the "gate".
Definitely not grinds, but rough shift kinda like a gear crunch.
If you want to experience a grind, roll into a gas station spot in 1st gear at 5mph and then throw it into reverse before coming to a full stop.

I think @davemarco mentioned that he was looking into this product to eliminate some of that "crunch" you get when shifting into even gears.
https://www.civicx.com/threads/alta-performance-shifter-cable-lockdown.25674/

I already have shift cable bushings, which makes the shifter feel more solid.
Not too interested in a short throw or Acuity's "shifter rocker" upgrade.
I'm afraid the shifter rocker brings the gates too close together and I already sometimes accidentally throw it into 5th instead of 3rd.

My plan is to do the centering spring, this shifter cable lockdown by alta, and acuity base bushings.

As a side note, I think that doing the "shifter cable lockdown" by Alta, will also fix the same problem that Acuity was trying to tackle when people were running short shifters. Outlined here:

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
I think mine did but then once I started making sure my foot had the clutch all the way on the floor I no longer had the crunching sounds, but the shifter does does clank/crunch when shifting gears. Installing a heavier weight knob helped this out too.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I'm installing the lockdown today along with a Type R shifter assembly. Will report back.

MGZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, Previously 2016 EX-L (50k miles)
Country flag
I've had the same issue since I got the car. I installed the cable lockdown a couple weeks ago and the feeling is much better. It's buttery smooth shifting into even gears like 90% of the time, and when its not, the crunchy stuttering at the end of the shift is muted and feels more solid. I dont really think about whether it'll crunch anymore and short shifting in traffic is a joy!

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
Thank you @MGZ . Definitely looking forward for my centering spring , lockdown adapter, and base bushings.
Now I have 3 reasons to open up the console :D

JoYu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type R
Country flag
More details. I have rough shifts into 2 and 4 depending on what "angle" I slide the lever into the "gate".
Definitely not grinds, but rough shift kinda like a gear crunch.
If you want to experience a grind, roll into a gas station spot in 1st gear at 5mph and then throw it into reverse before coming to a full stop.
The 8th gen had grinds into 2nd to the point where the shifter fails to go into 2nd (only when going to red line in 1st and only sometimes) and you have to push it into 2nd over again.

I have never experienced this in the 10th gen, but there is some crunchiness, which is not the same thing. I did grind a gear once, but it was my fault as the clutch was not at the floor (i'm pretty sure) and it wasn't into 2nd gear anyways. The Type R definitely has the grinding issue that has plagued past Honda's.

Have fun!

OP
OP
BoostedSiCoupe

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
  • Banned
The 8th gen had grinds into 2nd to the point where the shifter fails to go into 2nd (only when going to red line in 1st and only sometimes) and you have to push it into 2nd over again.

I have never experienced this in the 10th gen, but there is some crunchiness, which is not the same thing. I did grind a gear once, but it was my fault as the clutch was not at the floor (i'm pretty sure) and it wasn't into 2nd gear anyways. The Type R definitely has the grinding issue that has plagued past Honda's.

Have fun!
I experienced that regularly in my 8th and 9th gen Si's. So far with my 10th gen its happened 3 times. Hopefully it doesnt become another constant issue.

Its fucked up too because my gsr and both of my em1 trannys never grinded, even with over 200k miles on them, and i even abused the shit out of those cars daily (i was much younger).

MGZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thank you @MGZ . Definitely looking forward for my centering spring , lockdown adapter, and base bushings.
Now I have 3 reasons to open up the console :D
Yea, I've opened up that center console a few times now, better to do everything while you're already in there. I've got all three of those and the rocker upgrade + short shift adapter. It's a pretty nice shifter after some work!

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Just installed my Type R shifter assembly and Alta Shifter Cable Lockdown. Currently pouring outside, but I'll hope to have some good news tomorrow.

10Gensi

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
I changed my fluid to amsoil and it got rid of my grinds
+1. I never really had a grind the gearbox just felt rough and notchy with only 13500 miles on it once I switched to the Amsoil synchromesh every gear change is smoother as butter.

MGZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
+1. I never really had a grind the gearbox just felt rough and notchy with only 13500 miles on it once I switched to the Amsoil synchromesh every gear change is smoother as butter.
How many quarts was it to fully flush and refill? 3 quarts enough?

JoYu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type R
Country flag
I experienced that regularly in my 8th and 9th gen Si's. So far with my 10th gen its happened 3 times. Hopefully it doesnt become another constant issue.
Eff. That sucks. TBH I haven't redlined in first more than a few times. This car has so much more oomph down low I don't usually feel the need unlike my 8th gen. Especially with the ktuner.