Does weight matter?

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Lol. It's been proven time and again the CVT is quicker to 60 due to the second shift in the manual.

That Zero to Sixty Times site isn't the best source anyway because those numbers are just from random sources they find. They aren't actually testing the vehicles themselves.
I know but it triggers the op lol
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Ah... so you just wanted to...:stirthepot:.

dblotii

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si
So I noticed my coupe is about 300~ lighter than the sedan. If they were to drag race both of those cars with the same stock and settings, would the 300lbs give the coupe and advantage? It’s still a 1.3 ton car regardless how you look at it. I drove a1.5t over the weekend and it definitely felt different considering it’s only slightly bigger than the coupe.
You might as well ask Does Power matter. Vehicle performance is proportional to Power /Weight ratio at all speeds below the point where aero drag gets dominant. To be more specific, vehicle acceleration is proportional to the Power delivered to the wheels / (vehicle mass x vehicle speed). So adding mass feels the same as losing power, and it takes twice as much power to feel a certain level of ecceleration at 40 mph than 20 mph. And no, you can''t use engine torque to figure out vehicle pwerformance unless you factor in all of the gear ratios and the wheel diameter. Don't confuse torque at the axle with torque at the engine. Gearboxes multiply torque not power.

Dave

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
According to Car and Driver

Civic Type R:
0-60 of 4.9 sec
1/4 mile of 13.6 sec

Civic Si Coupe:
0-60 of 6.3 sec
1/4 mile of 14.8 sec

Civic Si Sedan:
0-60 of 6.4 sec
1/4 mile of 14.9 sec

Civic Coupe EXL:
0-60 of 6.6 sec
1/4 mile of 15.1 sec

Civic Sedan EXT:
0-60 of 6.8 sec
1/4 mile of 15.3 sec

Civic Hatchback Sport:
0-60 of 7.0 sec(Manual)
1/4 mile of 15.2 sec(Manual)
0-60 6.9 sec(CVT)
1/4 mile of 15.4 sec(CVT)

So yea the Coupes are definitely faster despite the negligible weight advantage. And somehow surprinsly the Hatchback Sport is the slowest of the bunch despite the slight power and torque advantage over the non Si and Type R models.

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
When you're talking 2/10 of a second to 60, it's essentially the same time. They weren't tested back to back or in the same exact conditions. Here's a video from Alex on Autos who tested the sedan repeatedly at 6.6 seconds. Go to 8:32 on the video.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
You might as well ask Does Power matter. Vehicle performance is proportional to Power /Weight ratio at all speeds below the point where aero drag gets dominant. To be more specific, vehicle acceleration is proportional to the Power delivered to the wheels / (vehicle mass x vehicle speed). So adding mass feels the same as losing power, and it takes twice as much power to feel a certain level of ecceleration at 40 mph than 20 mph. And no, you can''t use engine torque to figure out vehicle pwerformance unless you factor in all of the gear ratios and the wheel diameter. Don't confuse torque at the axle with torque at the engine. Gearboxes multiply torque not power.

Dave
That's right, and that's only considering a flat road.
If you have to go uphill, your mass punishes your acceleration additionally and heavily. And you only "sort of" get it back when going downhill, together with additional strain on the brakes.

There was only one time when I wished I had more mass. That was when I test drove a Toyota Echo (also known under the sexy name Toyota Platz :doh:) on a windy day.
Sponsored

Last edited: