NoHonor937

NoHonor937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lunar silver coupe 1.5T
Country flag
so 19 lbs winking smiley man
It has to be more. I would say around 200 actual pounds les. There’s literterally two whole two dots on the sedan and more panel length. I believe website is inaccurate.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
My guess as to why L is the fastest, is that the CVT automatic mode is not fast enough to provide the optimal drive ratios when doing a 0-60 trial. So a low gear provides the most rpm and power, which beats optimal but too slow.

If the CVT was fast enough it would provide the fastest times. As it does in cars made for racing.

For the same reason Honda provided the simulated gears mode that kicks in only if the car detects a WOT trial from zero or low speed. Again, ithis eliminates the need for the CVT to detect current speed and load continuously to continuously compute and react to deliver the optimal ratio, as it normally does.

At least that’s the way I see it.

I don’t have L and I don’t even know whether it is a constant ratio. I never tried WOT acceleration in a low gear using the paddles. It would not allow exceeding the red line, like L.

Last edited:

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It has to be more. I would say around 200 actual pounds les. There’s literterally two whole two dots on the sedan and more panel length. I believe website is inaccurate.
You telling me you dont believe the #s honda put out in its official press release as well as in the owners manual and in the door sill on the VIN Sticker? That would be highly illegal lol. There is a recall for the door sticker having the wrong tire type listed on the vin sticker, so curb weight would be a big deal too.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Put 300lbs of passengers in your car and you'll see how much slower the car is. Weight is a big factor, especially 300lbs.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Put 300lbs of passengers in your car and you'll see how much slower the car is. Weight is a big factor, especially 300lbs
Except that the true number is under 20 pounds curb weight between coupe and sedan. Please show me any actual source that says the sedan (same model) weighs 300 pounds more than the coupe. Or are you saying Honda's official specs are "fake news". :confused:

For example the Si coupe weighs in at 2,889 pounds. The Si sedan weighs 2,906 pounds. That's 17 pounds. In a race, the time difference would be miniscule.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NoHonor937

NoHonor937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lunar silver coupe 1.5T
Country flag
Except that the true number is under 20 pounds curb weight between coupe and sedan. Please show me any actual source that says the sedan (same model) weighs 300 pounds more than the coupe. Or are you saying Honda's official specs are "fake news". :confused:

For example the Si coupe weighs in at 2,889 pounds. The Si sedan weighs 2,906 pounds. That's 17 pounds. In a race, the time difference would be miniscule.
Yeah I guess it isn’t a difference. The numbers I was looking at was different. So really the coupe isn’t any lighter than the sedan. That stupid it’s a bit smaller but almost same weight. Idk how they couldn’t make it lighter. So what exactly is affecting the 0-60 times then if it’s not weight?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Like I mentioned before, the times are basically the same. Listed testing times can vary run to run depending on conditions. Alex on Autos, who is well respected, timed both the CVT 1.5 coupe and sedan at 6.6 seconds, both using L.

Last edited:

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
The driver's weight might easily make a difference approaching 100 lb without going to extremes.

Btw.
"According to the NASCAR rulebook, drivers who weigh less than 180 pounds have to add 10 pounds to their car for every 10 pounds down to 140. Therefore, the maximum penalty would be 40 pounds."

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I never said there's a 300lb difference, coupe and sedan are close in weight. If you add 300lbs to any car, its gonna be significantly slower. I had 3 passengers in my coupe and I could tell and feel a difference.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Obviously 300 added pounds is substantial. My original post in this thread corrected the OP's claim that the coupe curb weight was 300 pounds lighter.

My response to you was simply letting members know that while your post was true (about adding passengers), I didn't want some people misunderstanding and thinking the coupe was actually 300 pounds lighter. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The one that was faster is probably manual :popcorn:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The one that was faster is probably manual :popcorn:
Lol. It's been proven time and again the CVT is quicker to 60 due to the second shift in the manual.

That Zero to Sixty Times site isn't the best source anyway because those numbers are just from random sources they find. They aren't actually testing the vehicles themselves.
Sponsored