Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
I've owned my 2018 Civic Si Since June (8 months), and I notice that temperature does affect performance. I have found that if the temperature is 50 F and above, my car performs much better, everything from acceleration to better gas mileage. For example, yesterday was a nice 55 degrees F, and everything was so much smoother, from shifting to basic acceleration. Also I was averaging 31 mpg doing some spirited driving. This morning the temp was 38F (cold for the Bay Area), and even after everything was warmed up, I felt as though I had to push down harder on the pedal. Accelerating seems a bit more restrained, shifting not as smooth, and average gas mileage this morning dropped to 26 mpg. Also I feel boost takes a bit longer and is much less.

What I feel is that this car drives much better between 50 degrees and 90 degrees F. I don't know if it's the ECU maybe tuning things down or possibly the transmission doesn't work as well in the cold. I don't have this issue at all with my two Toyotas, they drive the same cold or hot weather. Does anyone else feel the same, that your Si drives better in warmer weather? I would like to know if I'm the only one who notices this.....

EDIT

I want to make it clear, it does not drive bad in colder temps, performance just seems a bit down compared to driving in warmer temps

Generally speaking, you should notice better acceleration in cooler weather, although, because it's intercooled, the performance shouldn't drop off in hot weather as much as a naturally aspirated or non-intercooled turbo car would. As far as fuel mileage, engine/exhaust noise, shifting, etc. it would perform better in warmer weather.

I've been hitting 50 mpg all summer with no little effort and only get a notchy shift when it's really hot. There's kind of a sweet spot where they shift really smoothly. Too cold or too hot, blaaahhh.
Sponsored